Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Things to Try if you get "Disk too Slow"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by vandenm View Post
    The only way I could avoid the 'Disk to slow' was to add the jumper to limit the data transfer rate to 1.5Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s on my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1.5-TB Hard Drive.
    For a first post this speaks volumes about what may be going on... the whole 3GB data rate is just the interface potential, right? These cheapie drives can't possibly sustain 3GB. So choking the data smooths the flow and fixes the issue. I like it!
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

    An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

    Comment


    • #32
      slow disk and jumpers

      On Edius 5 I've tried with and without jumper and always get the "disk too slow message". With the same computer and same drive, under separate OS and Edius 3.62 I never get the error message, with or without the jumper. I definetely suggest TGV to make a survey of all Edius 4.6+ users who get or don't get this error message and their relevant HW/SW configurations. This just in order to help users to find a getaway and work normally before they are able to remove the bug. I now have to work with two separate OS, one for XDCAM with Edius 5, one for HDV capture with Edius 3.62.



      Intel D925XECV2, Pentium 4 CPU 3GB, XP Pro SP3, 2G RAM, Seagate Enterprise 1T HD

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by andrea View Post
        I now have to work with two separate OS, one for XDCAM with Edius 5, one for HDV capture with Edius 3.62.
        ....and that for the benefit of those playing with jumpers, million $ raids, Bios tweaks, gold plated wind chimes, rosary beads and lucky heather is the solution - 4.62/5- is broken and 3.62 is not, along with any old capture software on the same system.

        DD

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          For a first post this speaks volumes about what may be going on... the whole 3GB data rate is just the interface potential, right? These cheapie drives can't possibly sustain 3GB. So choking the data smooths the flow and fixes the issue. I like it!
          Yes. Sometimes too fast is just as bad as too slow. It's the same in the signal world - too strong of a signal is just as bad as too weak of a signal.

          Or another way to look at it - imagine you're in a room full of people and have relatively good hearing. You can probably listen to and follow at least 2 separate conversations.

          Now imagine if one of the people in one of those conversations is speaking through a megaphone. That person will drown out the rest of the sound and now you can't keep track of the other conversation, not to mention having a headache...

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
            Yes. Sometimes too fast is just as bad as too slow. It's the same in the signal world - too strong of a signal is just as bad as too weak of a signal.

            Or another way to look at it - imagine you're in a room full of people and have relatively good hearing. You can probably listen to and follow at least 2 separate conversations.

            Now imagine if one of the people in one of those conversations is speaking through a megaphone. That person will drown out the rest of the sound and now you can't keep track of the other conversation, not to mention having a headache...
            Reaches for Megaphone.........Except that EVERY OTHER PIECE OF CAPTURE SW works on the same drives on the same system.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by DigitalDave View Post
              Reaches for Megaphone.........Except that EVERY OTHER PIECE OF CAPTURE SW works on the same drives on the same system.
              But it doesn't matter what other stuff does... Case-in-point, just because Roxio gets buffer underrun writing a disc, doesn't mean Nero will also do the same.

              Different paths to the same end will have different bumps along it.
              Now, anybody have a steamroller so we can pave our road?

              Comment


              • #37
                This is a pointless thread, although well meant by the original poster and good general advice. Nothing on the list resolves the problems users started experiencing since E4 and all subsequent updates to E4.x. (not sure if fixed on latest version of E5?) Whether it is a clear cut bug or not it is definately poor programming compared to all the other NLE and capture software on the market. The only solution I have found is to use other sw to capture or use an earlier version of edius.
                Mark Stuart
                www.ms-films.co.uk
                www.ms-media.co.uk

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
                  But it doesn't matter what other stuff does... Case-in-point, just because Roxio gets buffer underrun writing a disc, doesn't mean Nero will also do the same.

                  Different paths to the same end will have different bumps along it.
                  Now, anybody have a steamroller so we can pave our road?
                  The "bumps" are not in 3.6 nor anything before 4.5.
                  The "bumps" have been put in and for 18months have remained, forcing many to abandon capturing with Edius...plus a collection of home remedies to cure the said "bumps." In other words trying to find a resolution or workaround for a bug thats is heading towards its second birthday.
                  Get the Keys out, as Mark has said this thread is pointless.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Facts are:
                    1. Something is obviously different between 4.x and 5.x Of course there are lots of things different.
                    2. EDIUS is not modular enough to simply say "Well, put back the old capture module" so the underlying cause of the problem must be found for the behaviour to be fixed.
                    3. Engineering is actively working on finding the cause, but have to date been having a difficult time. That's why observations and data provided by folks in this thread is critical.
                    4. Yes, it sucks.

                    We're in a bit of a spot like the 1992 movie Medicine Man, starring Sean Connery. We know what works, but we don't know what's different between what works and what doesn't work, so we don't know why it works (or doesn't work).

                    So continue posting your observations, and continue to contribute suggestions to help, even if it's a workaround, it provides clues.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Just a thought, I run an Adaptec Raid card and their is alot of drives that they say are not compatible like the new Green drives ect because they have speed issue's, just a thought.


                      Steve
                      Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        edius to divx?

                        iis possibale in edius to export from time line to divx format direct?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          me too..strange!

                          hi...i have used 2 sata drive for edius 4.51c
                          then in one lazy week i have time to format my 500gig drive.. n suddenly the disk drive too slow just appear everytime i tried to capture to it..
                          so weird!...for 1,5 years the same hardware n software without interruption.
                          now suddenly,blink-blink! i've joined the "disk to slow" club...aarrgh!
                          MOtion Candid CApture
                          www.houseofmocca.com
                          Indonesia

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            you formatted the disk to what? NTFS or FAT?

                            if NTFS (correct), what cluster size?
                            Anton Strauss
                            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

                            EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              hi anton,
                              i formatted it in NTFS
                              cluster size "default".

                              is it really power supply kind pf thing?
                              lately,edius always crash everytime i try to change quick titler in HDtimeline... bcoz i only have maxtor 320gig and 500gig + geforce 8400 + dvd writter in this AMDX2 6000+ PC (2gig RAM)
                              the power supply is 500w (don't know the real out put though)
                              MOtion Candid CApture
                              www.houseofmocca.com
                              Indonesia

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                What make power supply? might be worth upgrading to a 750 or 800watt unit.


                                Steve
                                Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X