X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xeberdee
    replied
    I agree with the_count.

Comparing a server to video storage is like comparing apples to oranges. Most servers won't do the i/o loads that video storage needs, they are streamlined to serve small files with random access. Video storage needs large files in a hurry, so a bus with more bandwidth is a better buy for the future (uncompressed HD?)

This is as good a description of PCIe as I've seen - PCI-E

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    I agree. My Adaptec SCSI RAID card is PCI-X (64 bits) and is still a viable piece of h/w.

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    PCI-X is still server king. I don't think it will go away as soon as you think.

Leave a comment:

• the_count
    Guest replied
    hard times for raidin boyz

aye, unlike the mobo i got the processor already figured out.
    jerry's setup is no good for me, he's using pci-x for raid, i wanna go for pci-e cos pci-x is gonna go the way of the dodo pretty soon.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    I'd go with a 65nm Q6600, seems to be a sweet spot. The new 45nm QX is quite expensive.

Asus P5B is a respected card, but new ones are out. Check out Jerry's signature.

Leave a comment:

• the_count
    Guest started a topic mobo for edius Nx and PCIe Raid controller

mobo for edius Nx and PCIe Raid controller

Hi guys,

i wanna build a new rig for NX Express pcie + the HD component out daughter card. i also want to drop in a hardware raid controller, probaly 3ware 9650 or some areca one.
    was gonna use an ASUS P5K Deluxe, has two pcie x1 slots above graphix slot, but on closer scrutiny i figured that the NX base board is probably too long ('bout 21cm), would collide with ram and i'd have to put it in 2nd x16 slot.
    or am i wrong here?
    can anybody think of a DDR2 board that would fit the bill other than the slightly outdated Asus P5W 64 pro, which wouldn't work anyway cos i'm using a passive dual slot graphics card?
Working...
X