mobo for edius Nx and PCIe Raid controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tingsern View Post
    Unfortunately, no gaming boards support Xeon processors ... that leaves you with only one physical processor chip. If your editing program needs more horsepower than one Intel Core 2 Quad - then you are out of luck. At least with Xeon - you have up to 8 physical processors today (2 x quad core).

Which editing software uses more than 4 cores for editing? Remember, Edius only utilizes 2. I would be curious to know which editing package will utilize 8 cores. If there is one, I might have to look in that direction. I don't know if FCP2 will utilize more than 2/4. If you are also using AE, yes the 8 will come in handy.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I am not aware of any either today. Maybe Adobe Premiere will use all the cores? I do know that most video encoding programs (Sorenson, Procoder, etc) will use as many cores as you can have. And of course, there's AE as well.
      TingSern
      --------------------------------------
      Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        I hate to say it, but, if you are editing Red Cam material, you might consider a different editor and system. Edius can not do 2k or 4k files, 10bit uncompressed or compressed, or native Red Cam footage anyway.
        The Franken macs offer multiple pci-e slots and I believe will do Red Cam footage... or...
        You might want to look at a high end gaming board. Ususally these come with 4 pci-e slots. Now you have to decide if you want pci-e or pci-e 2.0.
        I wouldn't buy a new board without that little add on. The new stoakly seaburg models have that as well as many of the gaming boards being released now.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...41&modelmenu=2

This is an older chipset, but very good and stable. It may or may not be what you are looking for. I have heard of forum users using this board.
        Check it out. It will use 45nm chips.
        no worries, wouldnt try editing red footage in edius ;)
        theres a workaround for avid, also avid guys assured me they were working on native support... red looks crazy good by the way.

boardwise: therese also newer asus offerings with 4 pcie slots:
        http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...73&modelmenu=1
        but with my dual slot graphics card (passive, silence an issue) i'd have to shove graphics card in lowermost slot and pray that the actual graphics slot eats a raid controller, which they often dont.
        there's also a board with an ideal layout for me:
        http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/moth...&fMTYPE=LGA775
        but its an abit gaming rig and i'm wetting my pants at the thought of relying on it to do edius and pcie raid. their name doesnt pop up on the campatible/recommended list of any controller manufacturer. but then again... i've also seen a 3ware 9650 on an asrock board once that didnt spit fumes...
        if only tyan were a LOT faster about their twiddelings. bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by tingsern View Post
          I am not aware of any either today. Maybe Adobe Premiere will use all the cores? I do know that most video encoding programs (Sorenson, Procoder, etc) will use as many cores as you can have. And of course, there's AE as well.

I'm not sure that Procoder uses as many as you have. It does not max out on my each of my quad cores. However, it does on my dual Extreme chip.
          I think there was a discussion on this a while back. Premiere CS3, as far as I can tell, doesn't use ever how many either. AE has a setting to allow it to use multiple cores.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com
          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Getting on this a bit late but - why can't I edit red footage on Edius??

FCP is already editing proxy from Red, making final cut again one step ahead of everybody, and forcing high profile companies to take a look at FCP.

If I could choose between saying

"Why would you want to Edit Red on Edius? Edius doesn't do 10bit, 4K - bla bla"

or

"Why doesn't Edius let me edit Red, 10 bit, 2K, 4K etc"

I would choose to say the latter.

HEY - I did say that.
            ¤ž€ß¤

Comment

EDIUS project presets have a very strong connection between video equipment manufacturing and its own hardware (output) capabilities. This goes a long way to explain why EDIUS does not support arbitrary frame sizes, frame rates or colour spaces.

Every single aspect of EDIUS has to be tailored to deliver the most optimised, realtime edit/playback performance.

So to round out the question (which is more than a little off-topic from the original post) - EDIUS engineers need to talk to Red engineers, to work it into the software.

The good news is that Red support isn't outside the realm of possibilities with the EDIUS engine, and that given the noise it's starting to make (beyond 'vapourware' now), supporting Red-based specifications is something I'm sure will be scrutinised further down the development track. What is important to remember is EDIUS' core design philosophy (on realtime performance) - that is paramount. Without it, EDIUS becomes 'just another NLE' in the dust trails of bigger players.

Now, let's stick to the topic at hand, shall we? :)

Comment

Working...
              X