Vertical Video for Instagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical Video for Instagram

Has anyone created a vertical video project with Edius? I'm using version 8 and simply creating a 1080 x 1920 project isn't working.

I want to create Instagram stories right in Edius and export it to ready to upload right to Instagram. I see many tutorials to do this in Premiere Pro and I thought it might translate to a degree, but I'm stuck.
    Motion Art Cinematography

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel I7 4.2ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Gold Coast, Australia

what part of it is not working?
    Attached Files
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Hi Anton,

Changing to that aspect and pixel is only putting the video widescreen in the middle of the vertical real estate being created. I want to make vertical videos for Instagram and fill up the space that a 1080 x 1920 project will make.

I see people doing in Premiere but I can get the video to lay right in the vertical project. Maybe it's something to adjust in layouter?

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

Stretching the video to fill the space in Layouter is obviously pixelating the video since I'm zooming in.

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

it is the only way

I tested it and quality is fine as long as you shoot with a good HD camera or 4k camera and shoot with that aspect in mind, pretend to be one of the billions of people who don't know how to hold a phone when shooting video, I am getting very tired of seeing such videos and the blurred enlarged filler
          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
            it is the only way

I tested it and quality is fine as long as you shoot with a good HD camera or 4k camera and shoot with that aspect in mind, pretend to be one of the billions of people who don't know how to hold a phone when shooting video, I am getting very tired of seeing such videos and the blurred enlarged filler
            I'm shooting in 1080 with a Canon 5d4. I don't want to shoot 4k just to make clips like these. Surely there has to be a way to do this without zooming into the clip.

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Nerfboy View Post
              I'm shooting in 1080 with a Canon 5d4. I don't want to shoot 4k just to make clips like these. Surely there has to be a way to do this without zooming into the clip.
              how could there be a way without zooming? you are shooting with a height of 1080 and you need to create a height of 1920, as a result you need to zoom to fill the new height, make sure Lanczos3 is enabled
              Anton Strauss

Comment

There are Youtube clips explaining how Premiere users do this by basically setting up the project dimensions and altering the X axis to use the part of the content of the clip they wish.

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

do instagram demand that the clip needs to be 1080x1920 or can it be 720x1280, in which case you will lose 0.0000% quality
                  Last edited by antonsvideo; 12-23-2017, 11:09 AM.
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

I have an idea on how you may achieve that instagram look and its not that hard to do.

instead of filming as u would normally... treat your camera like a mobile phone ( as long as your using a dslr or something like that..... big camera.... not so easy lol )... rotate it so it's 16:9 up and down.... then create the project setting as Anton has suggested... then import the clip.. add it to the timeline then use the Layouter to rotate the clip... no stretching... if u shoot in HD... it will fit... if your shooting 4k you will need to zoom in or out to fit.

then export.

when filming make sure you keep what u are filming in frame.

ofcourse... if you dont want to filming for instrgram.. shoot it normally... and export it as normal 16x9.

you can only do one of the other. film for what u need it for.
                    Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 12-22-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerfboy View Post
                      There are Youtube clips explaining how Premiere users do this by basically setting up the project dimensions and altering the X axis to use the part of the content of the clip they wish.
                      maybe you are confused with what you see in EDIUS, because the EDIUS preview will always be 16:9 frame, but once you export a 1080x1920 file, it will be 1080x1920 with no visible black
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

That's a great point. IG's resolution is almost standard def so I might be able to do this way. Thx Anton.

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

its not that hard to do

Comment

Exporting vertical video 1080x1920 , not a horizontal video

Is there a way to create a project 1080*1920 and export it as 1080*1920, a vertical video clip to be seen in a vertical display? I am trying to create small clips on (MPG4) to use in a Mirror Photo Booth which displays everything vertical.
                            I saw the video tutorial and read to export as 16:9, the video on you-tube even that is showing a vertical video image is a horizontal video, I need an actual vertical clip 1080x1920

Any help will be appreciated

Comment

yes, change project setting in custom to 1080x1920 and 1:1 aspect
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X