X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drdimento
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    We're going P2 here (HPX500) and thinking about LTO3 (or 4) as backup.
    On our end, we don't archive raw footage and perhaps you too will like this workflow as many we know follow the same procedure. Bear in mind that this procedure is used on projects where either the cost of a reshoot is prohibitive OR impossible (one shoot opportunity)
    1. In the field copy the contents of the card to a portable external USB 2.0 powered HDD (2.5") which we term "WORK DISC" using a laptop with a PCMCIA slot and USB 2.0 port using the file format PROJECT01 with PROJECT being the projects short name and the two numbers being the sequencial camera logs of the respective P2 card pulls from the camera.
    2. While still shooting, copy each folder from the WORK DISC to a second portable external USB 2.0 powered HDD (2.5") which we term BU DISC
    3. In post, copy the contents of the work drive onto the desktop drives and then work off that edit machines' copy keeping both original drives in tact until the project is completed, recognizing that there is still a second back up copy AND both these drives are continuously in use in and out from the field
    4. Edit the project then render/print out a final run of the project timeline to a raw footage format in up to 8+ GB sections and burn this timeline material to single or dual layer DVD as the file size determines and when the price of BD's come down obviously to BD on larger projects
    5. Delete the raw footage from both mini HDD's and recycle the mini hard drive(s)

To date we have not lost a project although we thought we had messed one up only to realize that using a different NLE editor we were able to see the project, edit, and output it in the end.

Hope this helps and if you have more questions feel free to post or PM me. We are adding three more P2 cameras to our assets this year :o)

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    We're going P2 here (HPX500) and thinking about LTO3 (or 4) as backup.

Anyone who has these as backup devices care to chime in? I hear LTO3 drives have an gigabit ethernet connection so I can integrate it into my network without building a new machine with SCSI/SAS mobo.

Thanks guys

Leave a comment:

• drdimento
    replied
    Originally posted by MetalMike View Post
    I was thinking of getting a camera compatible with P2 memory modules. Exactly how does one get the data from the P2 card into Edius?
    Simple as 1,2,3.

1. Plug the camera in via firewire and it becomes an external hard drive and copy/paste.

OR

2. Remove the card from the camera, plug it into a PCMCIA slot in a laptop, copy/paste to the hard drive OR an external hard drive that is plugged into the laptop.

OR

3. Plug into a PCIx card reader or external USB card reader or front card slot and edit from the card.

Lots of or's but none needed the thing surfs on it's own without a boat. :o)

Leave a comment:

• drdimento
    replied
    Originally posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    Plus, with EDIUS you can edit off the card, or even better... begin editing your footage immediately off the card while the transfer to your local hdd location takes place in the background. I love that.
    You can actually edit on the fly WHILE it's still offloading? That's pretty amazing. Tell me more about what you don't like, that is that teeth gritting part? Feel free to PM me about if you would prefer not to discuss here.

We do TV broadcast and regardless of the negatives we are probably going to go with Edius 4 Broadcast just because we are going 100% P2 by the end of next year and in the meantime we will have a mixed format with DVX100's and miniDV and P2 from the "lame" HVX200 (wow, I don't think the camera is lame) and with our current Avid Liquid not able to work with both without fusing a sequence the delay to capture/digitize then fuse ALL clips . . why use P2. So, we want to mix and match clips and it appears that Edius can do it.

ProfessorU: BTW, do you see a real need to have the HPX500 over the HVX200?

Leave a comment:

• hvx_germanboy
    replied
    to archive your terrabytes...!

I can second what Jason said about Edius and P2....its a great workflow and that "sold" it to me...!

ProfessorU: there are different ways then buying HDDs all along...i know what you are talking about when you say its so easy to fill up 1TB...i will buy a Quantums-dlt tape system next year...i really hope that they will update it as they did quite every 2 years(double cpacitiy in GB at the same price..)...

That doesnt help you when you need to edit the TBs, but i t helps you archiving a different way, specially with a system like the SDLT 600A...and its still cheaper than HDDs and way more reliable...i am sure there are also other techniques...!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have two 16s and they're awesome. It's really easy to collect a terrabyte of data, though. I keep buying more WD myBooks to hold all this stuff, but someone has to come up with a better way.
    Edius works with P2 so smoothly compared to the other NLEs!

Leave a comment:

• Jason Ramsey
    replied
    P2 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It has had massive adoption in the broadcast world.

The fastest and best way (imo) to offload p2 cards is simply to stick a card into a compatible pcmcia slot on a desktop or laptop. Keeps the camera free, and it's faster than other methods.

If you are transferring 720p/24pn footage, you are talking about 4-5x realtime transfers. 1080 and other non pn 720 modes, you are talking about 2x faster than realtime transfers.

Plus, with EDIUS you can edit off the card, or even better... begin editing your footage immediately off the card while the transfer to your local hdd location takes place in the background. I love that.

Tapeless workflow is great if you have an NLE that allows you to take full advantage of the workflow. EDIUS will do that. That is 98% of the reason why I bought EDIUS. I wanted something that would allow me to take full advantage of the P2 workflow. I grit my teeth and bear the things I don't like about EDIUS, b/c that was the most important feature for me. Realtime, was a close second in importance... EDIUS has begun to dissapoint me a bit since 4.5 and up on that for some reason... but that's another topic.

Tapeless rocks. I'm jealous of your 32 gig p2 cards. 1 16 and 2 8's for now....

Later,
    Jason

Leave a comment:

• muleferg
    replied
    DVCProHD codec rather than converting to Canopus HQ.

Mule

Leave a comment:

• THoff
    replied
    Originally posted by valipro View Post
    What preset are you using with 720 30Pn?
    I shoot most of my material in 720/30PN using an HVX200, and edit using the native DVCProHD codec rather than converting to Canopus HQ.

There is a matching preset under Generic OHCI for 720/30PN. I can check the exact name/description when I get home if you need it.

Leave a comment:

• muleferg
    replied
    The Truth is. In the HPX2000 you can load 5 32gigers in the camera and shoot all day, 7 hrs at 720 24pn and never have to remove the cards. anybody got $8000.00 to loan a poor old country boy?

Mule

Leave a comment:

• jjbvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by muleferg View Post
    I received my 32g card yeasterday and noticed it has 35 min record time in 1080
    or 85 min 720 24pn

Mule
    Together with your "160GB P2 card" you'll have more than 500 min 720 24pn. That's what I was waiting for ;-)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What preset are you using with 720 30Pn?

Leave a comment:

• muleferg
    replied
    將影片新增至 [快速清單]將影片新增至 30[快速清單]

Thats the warranty 30Yrs..

Itchi Bon, Boy San
    He Haw

Leave a comment:

• muleferg
    replied
    I believe!

Lots of other P2 believers
    http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/p2/index.asp

WRAL in Raleigh is also a big Edius user.

Mule Ferguson

Leave a comment:

• THoff
    replied
    Originally posted by MetalMike View Post
    My biggest concern right now is the longevity of P2 technology. Obviously everything is moving toward disk based / solid state storage - but will this proprietary technology become outmoded within a year or two - I'm not sure. :?
    There are major networks that are converting or have converted to P2, among them Fox and the BBC. They would not be doing that if they didn't feel that P2 was not going to disappear tomorrow.
    Last edited by THoff; 12-08-2007, 11:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X