New P2 32 g Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to archive your terrabytes...!

I can second what Jason said about Edius and P2....its a great workflow and that "sold" it to me...!

ProfessorU: there are different ways then buying HDDs all along...i know what you are talking about when you say its so easy to fill up 1TB...i will buy a Quantums-dlt tape system next year...i really hope that they will update it as they did quite every 2 years(double cpacitiy in GB at the same price..)...

That doesnt help you when you need to edit the TBs, but i t helps you archiving a different way, specially with a system like the SDLT 600A...and its still cheaper than HDDs and way more reliable...i am sure there are also other techniques...!
    Edius 6.52
    Windows 7-64bit
    8GB RAM
    Intel Core I5, [email protected],40GHz

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
      Plus, with EDIUS you can edit off the card, or even better... begin editing your footage immediately off the card while the transfer to your local hdd location takes place in the background. I love that.
      You can actually edit on the fly WHILE it's still offloading? That's pretty amazing. Tell me more about what you don't like, that is that teeth gritting part? Feel free to PM me about if you would prefer not to discuss here.

We do TV broadcast and regardless of the negatives we are probably going to go with Edius 4 Broadcast just because we are going 100% P2 by the end of next year and in the meantime we will have a mixed format with DVX100's and miniDV and P2 from the "lame" HVX200 (wow, I don't think the camera is lame) and with our current Avid Liquid not able to work with both without fusing a sequence the delay to capture/digitize then fuse ALL clips . . why use P2. So, we want to mix and match clips and it appears that Edius can do it.

ProfessorU: BTW, do you see a real need to have the HPX500 over the HVX200?
      "What me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman .. after all, two wrongs don't make a right - BUT - three lefts do :-)

MacBook Pro (late 2011 8,2) 10.1, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 Gb 1600 DDR 3, 512 GB SSD, Mountain Lion with Parallels, External SATA HDD's on Thunderbolt, Final Cut Pro 7.

Canon 5DM2, 7D, HF G20 x 2, HF M40, with Beachtek Audio, Pro mixing, mics, both LED and Arri fresnel lighting, portable camera dolly, and camera jib.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMike View Post
        I was thinking of getting a camera compatible with P2 memory modules. Exactly how does one get the data from the P2 card into Edius?
        Simple as 1,2,3.

1. Plug the camera in via firewire and it becomes an external hard drive and copy/paste.

OR

2. Remove the card from the camera, plug it into a PCMCIA slot in a laptop, copy/paste to the hard drive OR an external hard drive that is plugged into the laptop.

OR

3. Plug into a PCIx card reader or external USB card reader or front card slot and edit from the card.

Lots of or's but none needed the thing surfs on it's own without a boat. :o)
        "What me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman .. after all, two wrongs don't make a right - BUT - three lefts do :-)

MacBook Pro (late 2011 8,2) 10.1, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 Gb 1600 DDR 3, 512 GB SSD, Mountain Lion with Parallels, External SATA HDD's on Thunderbolt, Final Cut Pro 7.

Canon 5DM2, 7D, HF G20 x 2, HF M40, with Beachtek Audio, Pro mixing, mics, both LED and Arri fresnel lighting, portable camera dolly, and camera jib.

Comment

We're going P2 here (HPX500) and thinking about LTO3 (or 4) as backup.

Anyone who has these as backup devices care to chime in? I hear LTO3 drives have an gigabit ethernet connection so I can integrate it into my network without building a new machine with SCSI/SAS mobo.

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
            We're going P2 here (HPX500) and thinking about LTO3 (or 4) as backup.
            On our end, we don't archive raw footage and perhaps you too will like this workflow as many we know follow the same procedure. Bear in mind that this procedure is used on projects where either the cost of a reshoot is prohibitive OR impossible (one shoot opportunity)
            1. In the field copy the contents of the card to a portable external USB 2.0 powered HDD (2.5") which we term "WORK DISC" using a laptop with a PCMCIA slot and USB 2.0 port using the file format PROJECT01 with PROJECT being the projects short name and the two numbers being the sequencial camera logs of the respective P2 card pulls from the camera.
            2. While still shooting, copy each folder from the WORK DISC to a second portable external USB 2.0 powered HDD (2.5") which we term BU DISC
            3. In post, copy the contents of the work drive onto the desktop drives and then work off that edit machines' copy keeping both original drives in tact until the project is completed, recognizing that there is still a second back up copy AND both these drives are continuously in use in and out from the field
            4. Edit the project then render/print out a final run of the project timeline to a raw footage format in up to 8+ GB sections and burn this timeline material to single or dual layer DVD as the file size determines and when the price of BD's come down obviously to BD on larger projects
            5. Delete the raw footage from both mini HDD's and recycle the mini hard drive(s)

To date we have not lost a project although we thought we had messed one up only to realize that using a different NLE editor we were able to see the project, edit, and output it in the end.

Hope this helps and if you have more questions feel free to post or PM me. We are adding three more P2 cameras to our assets this year :o)

Comment

Working...
            X