Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lock an audio clip to a V/A clip

Hi
    This would seem such a simple procedure, but I cannot see how to do it.
    I have a clip on the VA track of someone walking with synchronous traffic sounds. I have spent some time synchronizing footsteps from an effects file onto the 1A track. Now I want to lock the VA clip to the effects clips so that they cannot be accidentally unsynced. I cannot link the clips because they are on different tracks. Grouping the two clips is not the answer as even grouped clips can be pushed out of sync in some circumstances. I cannot lock the tracks as I have more work to do. I know I could print this short sequence to file and re-import it, but surely there must be a simple quick way.

Use a nested sequence. Make a new sequence- paste the clips (video and footsteps) in that sequence- now bring that sequence back in to the main project. Nothing can move out of sync.

Comment

Thanks DigitalDave
      Yes that works fine, but I find it rather strange that there is not a option such as Select clips, Right click, Lock clips. It would seem such an easy, quick way to do it.

Comment

But that's what group does and I'm not sure how you can knock a group out of sync any easier/harder than you can with an AV Clip.

I use nested sequences regularly where a section maybe undergoing changes and updates, the only down side is no waveform but that is "workaroundable".

I would also say that I sometimes do lock tracks and then other clips go on the non locked tracks ie where a shot needs to come in on a music phrase (beat).

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDave View Post
          ...I use nested sequences regularly where a section maybe undergoing changes and updates, the only down side is no waveform but that is "workaroundable"....
          I use nested sequences very often and am frustrated that there is no waveform (Premiere pro from Adobe and other NLE have that implemented - of course).
          Can you give me some tips to "workaraound" that weakness.
          // All I know is to copy the audio into the sequence which use the nested sequence. But that is sometimes a crazy method.
          BTW: This missing basic feature (missing since years!!!) is only one of other missing basic features which I can not understand why the developers are so stubborn this not to implement (since years!!!).
          The normal common sense tells that this feature is missing. Each tong finally has indeed two jaws.
          I really dont understand that logic.
          And in addition: If one requests such missings he is told to report that via the GV-Forum. Fine - but if after YEARS such ridiculous sloppiness
          are not corrected, when will they be corrected ???? 2050 or 3010...
          Regards kurt
          HW: ASUS Z170-A; Proz: i7-6700K; RAM: 32 GB DDR4; GPU: RTX-3070, 8GB GDDR5; SSD: SAMSUNG-850-Pro, 500 GB
          SW: WIN-10/64 PRO (21H2-19044.2006), Firefox u.a.
          NLE: EDIUS-X(10.33.9356)-WG; RESOLVE-18.0.4.0005 Studio​​

// Read > Test > Understand

Comment

I agree it is a PITA. I do not use often for that very reason. When I need to I add two VA tracks. Place the sequence in one and a HQ file of the same thing above. Sync up using the HQ waveforms then mute that track. I can now make changes to the sequence and know it is in sync if they are not major. In my case it is usually syncing two performances of the same show and wanting to get an edit from one into the other. Waveforms are essential for this and a real defficiancy of using sequences.
            Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

@ Kurt I simply make a wav file of the sequence and link them on the main timeline. I use this when making musical promos from multicam shoots, so each section may be a sequence. I then use this wav and seq to sync to a master (re-engineered) audio track - nothing clever but only takes seconds and works.

Comment

I have used this in Premiere and I find it very hit and miss. It takes time to generate the waveform and it disappears as soon as you change the original sequence. All of this makes sense if you think about it but are the reasons it has not been implemented in EDIUS, it is not as easy as you think.
                EDIUS silver certified trainer.
                Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
                Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Thanks for your tipps - kurt
                  HW: ASUS Z170-A; Proz: i7-6700K; RAM: 32 GB DDR4; GPU: RTX-3070, 8GB GDDR5; SSD: SAMSUNG-850-Pro, 500 GB
                  SW: WIN-10/64 PRO (21H2-19044.2006), Firefox u.a.
                  NLE: EDIUS-X(10.33.9356)-WG; RESOLVE-18.0.4.0005 Studio​​

// Read > Test > Understand

Comment

Working...
                  X