Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by virgil21 View Post
    A new thought is prompted by this from GV_KH (?) in another thread:

"v4.5 onward introduces GPU-based reproduction, so it's more a matter of your graphics card being put to better use".

Now I have an older ATI Radeon 9600 which means that VitaScene struggles with most FX and many I cannot use, so I will have to upgrade the graphics card in the early New Year.

But I wonder is there now also an issue between Edius 4.5 and older graphics cards.

Is the White Balance filter using the GPU now and falling over due to my senile old card? It would be nice to know!
    The GPU is only used for overlay, and that's only if you're running OHCI, NX, or SP with v4.5x or higher. And furthermore, that's only if your graphics card is DirectX 9 specced or better. (needs support for Pixelshader Model 2.0).

Otherwise, your card will use plain old DirectDraw overlay.

Comment

Kenneally,

Would you say I might have an issue with my Nvidia 6600, as it does not appear in the supported list on the Canopus website. This freezing problem has only been around for a while, maybe since 4.5, and my system was built by a reputable company, and ran without problems of this sort previously.

It appears to suffer most if I'm stressing the system with multiple applications open at the same time, but always with Edius. I've carefully tested the RAM and it comes up OK.

I'm just trying to narrow this down before I clean the whole thing out and re install.

Just playing back an edit - it's crashed again

Thanks

Paul

Supermicro X6DAE-G2
      Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
        The GPU is only used for overlay, and that's only if you're running OHCI, NX, or SP with v4.5x or higher...
        I'm using Raptor RT2MAX - maybe a driver issue? Maybe Edius thinks I have an NX?
        DVC custom desktop; Intel i7-5930K @3.50GHz; 32GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX1080Ti; BM Intensity Pro 4K; Edius 9 WG; DaVinci Resolve Studio; Windows 10 Pro.

Comment

Me too, I'm changing color values quickly and repetitively as I use color balance frequently. And only Edius freezes. I immediately open task manager and force the program (not responding) to close. I do not run any other applications at the same time, my machine is only for Edius and I use it since version 3. I only upgraded my Ram to 2 Gig and version 4 used to work very smoothly even with a 2 hours long edit, color correction applied and sound mixed and a lot of titles. After 4.24 color balance started to cause problems. I finish editing, I use only dissolve as transition, and I apply color balance, As I already said, when I change it's values, it freezes. This happens 3-4 times a day. Still don't know what to do, I think I'll return to version 4. My current version is 4.54.

Comment

I just dragged the sliders like crazy for some time and on several clips, no crash

I am using DirectDrawOverlay in Edius settings and not Direct3D, if that means anything

I am also using an older card with an older nvidia driver
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
              I just dragged the sliders like crazy for some time and on several clips, no crash

I am using DirectDrawOverlay in Edius settings and not Direct3D, if that means anything

I am also using an older card with an older nvidia driver
              Anton, I also use DirectDrawOverlay and also a not so recent nvidia card and driver. Have you tried to apply the filter to several clips with dissolve transition on them. I suspect that might be my problem. Because strangely when I apply the filter to a single clip or to clips that are in separate tracks, the edius never freezes. As I know you do A-B editing, I would appreciate if you to put a dissolve transition between 2 clips in the same track and apply color balance on them. also instead of dragging the sliders, double click on the number area and go up and down with the mouse wheel several times. Let's see if you have the same problem when you do this.
              Is this the way you work Paul?

Comment

let me try it and you are right, I do AB roll type editing and don't normally place transitions between clips unless it is a quick montage
                Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

ok, I tested like crazy, moving all sliders like mad and with transitions between clips, each clip with a cc filter

note, I am using an AGP port geforce card, not PCI-e, maybe that is where the difference is?
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

hehehe...I just had this image of Anton looking like the mad digital Dr Frankenstein moving the sliders all over letting loose a few shrieks of mad laughter. Where's Roy with his PS when you need him?

Comment

Hehe... Anyway, our company has an NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6600 GPU. I'm not sure if it's AGP or PCI-e. But I don't think that's what causes the problem. Well, I'll start the project and see if it gets better. I'll save before applying cb filter. Thanks for your responses anyway.

Comment

Well I have Nvidia Ge force 6600 pci - with this freeze problem too - so next week I'm off to gloomy London to pick up an 8800.

ps. According to the Canopus website the 6600 is not on the compatable
                        hardware list -

Paul

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

Comment

I know there have been some problems with the 6600 in the past. Whether it pertains to this I do not know.

Comment

Ok, now I get it. Actually, that might be the problem. I'll try another graphics card. Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Still happeng for me.

Comment

Just to tie this one up, my Nvidia 8800GT 512Mb arrived a couple of days ago, so expecting nothing much I took out my olde 6600 and installed the new monster.

I may be jumping the gun here, but I've done 2 long days, running AE in the background, rendering HD material with "Looks" applied, making Flash files in Flash 8 as well as having Vegas pro 8 running for a touch of audio editing. All this with Edius working on a 10 sequence project and not one failure.

So, looks like the 6600 is a bad lot, it was fine up to Edius 4.24 I think, but started grumbling around 4.5.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing lock ups described earlier in this thread

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X