Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RealTime Hardware Assist From Edius NX Boards???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrassValley_MD
    replied
    Oh... that is true... but it is not laptop editing causing that! :)

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_MD View Post
    Anton... it is very simple. I just output the screen to a projector and I use an external mouse. It works like a charm! :)

Mike
    Mike, Anton is right. The last time I saw you, I thought I noticed a little hair thinning going on!

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_MD
    replied
    Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    I could not work without hardware cards, many times more responsive editing

I have no idea how Mike Downey can edit and present with a laptop and not lose his hair

Anton... it is very simple. I just output the screen to a projector and I use an external mouse. It works like a charm! :)

Mike

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_MD
    replied
    Originally posted by bhmm9999 View Post
    A GV representative said something that made no sense to me...

He stated that Edius NX cards are nothing more than I/O cards and that they do not accelerate or assist in realtime editing. That the same results could be achieved in software only Edius Pro using OHCI.

When I said this was not my understanding--he reiterated it over and over adding emphasis that DVStorm was the last card to offer hardware assist.

What is the truth here?

Thanks,
    bob

As you can see... from the posts here... there is very little help if any for realtime editing. While thereis a smidge of help it is in the form of the CPU's being helped with other tasks and not a chip on the card that takes care of effects for realtime editing. :)

Mike

Leave a comment:

• muleferg
    replied
    Edius NX/Broadcast. This is what sold me on Edius. When the client first views the DVCPro HD from a HPX2000 or the HVX200. his Jaw drops about 6" And his or her remark is " Wow thats beautifull video"
    Mule

Leave a comment:

• bhmm9999
    replied
    Appreciate the comments--very enlightening!

Any opinions on spending more and investing in ADVC 3000? Seems that for the same HD performance you also get great RT upconverting/IO features.

Thanks,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Imagine Video
    replied
    I thought the NXe also added hardware MPEG 4 encoding ?

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I could not work without hardware cards, many times more responsive editing

I have no idea how Mike Downey can edit and present with a laptop and not lose his hair

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Worth every penny.

Preview for a client via YUV to my projector and watch 'em fall down.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    The biggest benefit in my eyes is having frame accurate editing with no lag, and on top of that NX Express is it's own sound board, has analog inputs, and you can capture to Canopus HQ from analog sources instead of DV like the DVstorm did. Also let's not forget that the NX spits out clean and pure YUV via it's component connection.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    What is the truth here?
    While it does depend a little on what one considers a hardware-assisted benefit, the facts are these:

- NX has the same DV chip as the Storm, which means that you save ~700MHz of CPU power when generating a realtime DV stream. If you don't use/edit DV, no bonus here.

- NX takes over the responsibility of generating the full HD frame output from the CPU - but then, unless you're comparing HD output of NX with another output card, no bonus here. OHCI systems don't output video, and therefore won't be taxed in producing full frame output from odd-shaped HD timelines (e.g. 1440x1080, 960x720)

- Prior to v4.5, NX would also take over the task of producing video overlay, to ensure responsive reproduction of HD video on your PC's display. v4.5 onward introduces GPU-based reproduction, so it's more a matter of your graphics card being put to better use

That's pretty much the only "boosts" you get. Realtime HD output is really only as good as your CPU+RAM configuration goes.

Leave a comment:

• Philip
    replied

He stated that Edius NX cards are nothing more than I/O cards and that they do not accelerate or assist in realtime editing. That the same results could be achieved in software only Edius Pro using OHCI.

When I said this was not my understanding--he reiterated it over and over adding emphasis that DVStorm was the last card to offer hardware assist.

What is the truth here?

Thanks,
    bob
    He is pretty close here. I asked a very similar question here recently and basically the NX board will only give you improved RT by relieving the overlay processing from your system....in otherwords very little. The NX only provides a RT full rez output to HD monitor.

You can build a very capable editing system for software only editing. That is what I have. Only problem is I don't think you can get output to an external monitor while editing via FW with HD files. You can write files back to your deck via the TS Writer included with Edius but you can't use FW to view output on an external monitor. If you need that feature you will have to get an NX board. Doing event work like I do it is not that important. I know what my scopes are telling me and go with the graphs and scopes all on the desktop.

THere are a few graphic cards that will output the overlay to an external monitor in RT but from what I understand they aren't true full rez output...many users say it is pretty darn close and very usable but I haven't gone that route. Turns out the graphic cards with that ability are not the best with After Effects processing and playback since it utilizes the GPU. For that reason I have not invested in that type of grapic card.

I may not be totally accurate in what I said about the NX card as I am not a GV engineer. It is all based on what I have read here and on other forums regarding the NX board.

BTW....if you want an NX system I have a colleague with a turnkey NX system for sale for very inexpensive. :-) He no longer uses Edius and wants to sell fast. There aren't classified forums here anymore so I don't know how to get word out about the system. Sorry if I broke a rule. :-)

Leave a comment:

• SRsupport
    replied
    Yes this is true.
    One thing he forgot is that with NX you get a broadcast quality signal out to a broadcast monitor and you have no delay in preview.
    OHCI can't beat that.

But yes the NX is not an accelerator card and for as far I know has not been promoted as such.

SR

Leave a comment:

• bhmm9999
    started a topic RealTime Hardware Assist From Edius NX Boards???

RealTime Hardware Assist From Edius NX Boards???

What is the truth here?

Thanks,
    bob
Working...
X