Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RealTime Hardware Assist From Edius NX Boards???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealTime Hardware Assist From Edius NX Boards???

A GV representative said something that made no sense to me...

He stated that Edius NX cards are nothing more than I/O cards and that they do not accelerate or assist in realtime editing. That the same results could be achieved in software only Edius Pro using OHCI.

When I said this was not my understanding--he reiterated it over and over adding emphasis that DVStorm was the last card to offer hardware assist.

What is the truth here?

Thanks,
    bob

Yes this is true.
    One thing he forgot is that with NX you get a broadcast quality signal out to a broadcast monitor and you have no delay in preview.
    OHCI can't beat that.

But yes the NX is not an accelerator card and for as far I know has not been promoted as such.

SR
    Steve
    EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
    A proud EDIUS EDITOR
    For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Originally posted by bhmm9999 View Post

He stated that Edius NX cards are nothing more than I/O cards and that they do not accelerate or assist in realtime editing. That the same results could be achieved in software only Edius Pro using OHCI.

When I said this was not my understanding--he reiterated it over and over adding emphasis that DVStorm was the last card to offer hardware assist.

What is the truth here?

Thanks,
      bob
      He is pretty close here. I asked a very similar question here recently and basically the NX board will only give you improved RT by relieving the overlay processing from your system....in otherwords very little. The NX only provides a RT full rez output to HD monitor.

You can build a very capable editing system for software only editing. That is what I have. Only problem is I don't think you can get output to an external monitor while editing via FW with HD files. You can write files back to your deck via the TS Writer included with Edius but you can't use FW to view output on an external monitor. If you need that feature you will have to get an NX board. Doing event work like I do it is not that important. I know what my scopes are telling me and go with the graphs and scopes all on the desktop.

THere are a few graphic cards that will output the overlay to an external monitor in RT but from what I understand they aren't true full rez output...many users say it is pretty darn close and very usable but I haven't gone that route. Turns out the graphic cards with that ability are not the best with After Effects processing and playback since it utilizes the GPU. For that reason I have not invested in that type of grapic card.

I may not be totally accurate in what I said about the NX card as I am not a GV engineer. It is all based on what I have read here and on other forums regarding the NX board.

BTW....if you want an NX system I have a colleague with a turnkey NX system for sale for very inexpensive. :-) He no longer uses Edius and wants to sell fast. There aren't classified forums here anymore so I don't know how to get word out about the system. Sorry if I broke a rule. :-)
      Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

Comment

What is the truth here?
        While it does depend a little on what one considers a hardware-assisted benefit, the facts are these:

- NX has the same DV chip as the Storm, which means that you save ~700MHz of CPU power when generating a realtime DV stream. If you don't use/edit DV, no bonus here.

- NX takes over the responsibility of generating the full HD frame output from the CPU - but then, unless you're comparing HD output of NX with another output card, no bonus here. OHCI systems don't output video, and therefore won't be taxed in producing full frame output from odd-shaped HD timelines (e.g. 1440x1080, 960x720)

- Prior to v4.5, NX would also take over the task of producing video overlay, to ensure responsive reproduction of HD video on your PC's display. v4.5 onward introduces GPU-based reproduction, so it's more a matter of your graphics card being put to better use

That's pretty much the only "boosts" you get. Realtime HD output is really only as good as your CPU+RAM configuration goes.

Comment

The biggest benefit in my eyes is having frame accurate editing with no lag, and on top of that NX Express is it's own sound board, has analog inputs, and you can capture to Canopus HQ from analog sources instead of DV like the DVstorm did. Also let's not forget that the NX spits out clean and pure YUV via it's component connection.

Comment

Worth every penny.

Preview for a client via YUV to my projector and watch 'em fall down.
            Rusty Rogers | Films
            >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
            >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
            Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

I could not work without hardware cards, many times more responsive editing

I have no idea how Mike Downey can edit and present with a laptop and not lose his hair
              Anton Strauss
              Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I thought the NXe also added hardware MPEG 4 encoding ?
                Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
                Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

Appreciate the comments--very enlightening!

Any opinions on spending more and investing in ADVC 3000? Seems that for the same HD performance you also get great RT upconverting/IO features.

Thanks,
                  Bob

Comment

Edius NX/Broadcast. This is what sold me on Edius. When the client first views the DVCPro HD from a HPX2000 or the HVX200. his Jaw drops about 6" And his or her remark is " Wow thats beautifull video"
                    Mule
                    EDIUS v5.51 Broadcast - Dual Xeon Supermicro X7DWA-N with E5450 3.0GHz CPU (8 cores)
                    4 GB Ram, 1.0 TB Video Raid (2x500). 5 ea 1.0 TB External Video. 2 500 gb Ext, 320 GB OS Drive .. ATI Radeon HD 4350 with 512 Ram XP Pro with SP 3 HD Sparks, VisTitle

Edius 6.52Dual Xeon Asus P5E3 9650 3.0 4G Ram
                    Nvidia9800, 500G Raid (2x250) 1TB&500TB Ext Drives

HPX 2000 AVC Intra, HVX 200, HPX 170, AG-AF 100, Canon D5 MKll.....MacBook G4 w/VMWare FCP Edius 6.2

Comment

What is the truth here?

Thanks,
                      bob

As you can see... from the posts here... there is very little help if any for realtime editing. While thereis a smidge of help it is in the form of the CPU's being helped with other tasks and not a chip on the card that takes care of effects for realtime editing. :)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                        I could not work without hardware cards, many times more responsive editing

I have no idea how Mike Downey can edit and present with a laptop and not lose his hair

Anton... it is very simple. I just output the screen to a projector and I use an external mouse. It works like a charm! :)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_MD View Post
                          Anton... it is very simple. I just output the screen to a projector and I use an external mouse. It works like a charm! :)

Mike
                          Mike, Anton is right. The last time I saw you, I thought I noticed a little hair thinning going on!
                          Jerry
                          Six Gill DV
                          www.sgdvtutorials.com
                          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Oh... that is true... but it is not laptop editing causing that! :)

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X