Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much RAM for Edius 8 with Win 7 for UHD projects?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    if editing 4k, you may increase to at least 2 or 3 or 4GB
    But is it not in relation to RAM? For example, can I increase the buffer to 2 or 3 GB to edit UHD if now there are 12 GB RAM only in my PC?
    A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv...DrZCaaw/videos
    CPU: Intel i9 7940X
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
    VIDEOCARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti
    SSD Drive:
    (C) 512GB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (for Windows 10)
    (D) 1TB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe

Comment

Originally posted by Ulisse View Post
      But is it not in relation to RAM? For example, can I increase the buffer to 2 or 3 GB to edit UHD if now there are 12 GB RAM only in my PC?
      of course you can, if you set EDIUS buffer to 4GB, it will take 4GB from your 12GB

if you have several programs open including Photoshop, you may or may not run low on memory, try it
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Hi Ulisse.

Try increasing the buffer and see what happens. Do various tests and see what happens. I doubt very much that you will see any difference in what I've said, regardless of what anyone else has said.

The simple fact is that, in your particular scenario, the buffer won't make any difference what so ever.

Your particular issue is probably down to CPU, as it is with most people.

Seriously, I wish some people would give recommendations based on real world experience, rather than making up some fanciful utopian dream that they seem to have in their heads.

Or put it this way. If increasing the buffer or adding more RAM, made any difference. Then why wouldn't everyone just add more RAM instead of increasing CPU capability?

Or better still. If anyone else can prove me wrong. Simply prove it with video evidence. Instead of feeding fanciful disinformation.

In fact. When has anyone seen a noticeable improvement in realtime Edius performance, along the lines of Ulisse' predicament, by simply increasing RAM? If anyone can prove this, maybe by a simple video example, I will forever keep my big mouth shut.

Cheers,
        Dave.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

as I said many times before, increasing memory allows you to have many programs open and you won't run out of memory

yes, CPU speed is number one, the more you spend on CPU, the better the performance
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
            as I said many times before, increasing memory allows you to have many programs open and you won't run out of memory

yes, CPU speed is number one, the more you spend on CPU, the better the performance
            Anton.

With all due respect, and I do sincerely mean that, after all, we both know what we are talking about.

But, this post was about RAM and buffer with Edius, nothing else. After all, Ulisse didn't mention anything else.

So again, and with all due respect. What has any other program, or programs, got to do with his question?

His question is exactly what I responded to. It was only about RAM with Edius and the OS, nothing else.

Cheers,
            Dave.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Until the OP's workflow is revealed, assuming that he is only running Edius and Windows simultaneously, is a guess.
              If Windows and Edius are the only items used simultaneously, 8gb of ram would work provided the CPU was fast enough to push the product.

He is using an old X58 980x with 12gb of ram to edit native 4K material. Memory isn't the issue here, it is his processor. I have already suggested
              to the OP to convert all of his 4k footage to HQX and edit in 1920x1080 to increase the fluidity of Edius while editing 4K with that machine.

Converting to HQX and editing in 1920x1080 are the two best solutions for the circumstances.
              Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 07-06-2016, 05:51 AM.
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com
              If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
              http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
              Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Anything else not addressed to the OP will get this thread locked.
                1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Working...
                X