No announcement yet.

EX1 Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the EX on order and Broadcast Edius. So you are telling us the the EX will not work with Broadcast or Edius NX?

I thought that one of the reasons to get Broadcast Version was because of compatibility with XDCAM and other HD cameras.

Thanks guys I always appreciate the help you give on the forum.

Ronnie
    Ronnie Martin
    Kato Video Productions
    main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

Comment

The EX1 files will work in Edius Broadcast (NX retail does not have Edius Broadcast, but you can upgrade) once the 4.6 update is released, which is scheduled in early 2008. It is a free update, but you will need an Edius Broadcast dongle to make it work because it supports XDCAM files, which is what the EX1 is capable of.

If you want to preview these files, use VLCPlayer, it worked.

The footage looks pretty good, but nothing to drool over...well probably because the lighting and such is not proper. I'm sure they will deliver very good looking footage in that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by RonnieMartin View Post
        I

I thought that one of the reasons to get Broadcast Version was because of compatibility with XDCAM and other HD cameras.

Ronnie
        When you bought Broadcast nobody knew that Xdcam Ex would be a format.

So?

Xdcam is fully supported XDcam EX is a different format.

Try recording 1920 on the current xdcam HD you'll get the point. hehe
        Steve
        EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
        A proud EDIUS EDITOR
        For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Is there currently any way to convert EX1 files to the Edius HQ format for editing purposes? If/when there is, wouldn't such converted files work in Edius Pro?
          Edius 6.5 on Lenovo W520 laptop: Intel Core i7-2720QM @2.2 GHz, Nvidia graphics card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Canon Vixia HF-G10, three Sony HDV video cameras and one Canon 7D.

Comment

Originally posted by kwshaw1 View Post
            Is there currently any way to convert EX1 files to the Edius HQ format for editing purposes? If/when there is, wouldn't such converted files work in Edius Pro?
            You would need a transcoding application that can decode the EX1 data, and then also have on the system either EDIUS v4 or ProCoder (or Pegasus) to encode HQ...

Otherwise, you'll have to wait till Q1 2008, for v4.6. :)

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
              You would need a transcoding application that can decode the EX1 data, and then also have on the system either EDIUS v4 or ProCoder (or Pegasus) to encode HQ...

Otherwise, you'll have to wait till Q1 2008, for v4.6. :)
              Rather dissapointing. If it works it would be good customer support to give EX users a patch for this. FinalCutPro is now working with the files as of last week. Vegas loads them too from what I've read. I have tried the native .mp4 files in Newtek's SpeedEdit and they play perfectly no conversion or read problems. Only problem is no "display card" for HD is currently working with SE.
              It IS possible to load these into SE and then export as a Canopus HQ file.
              At least give us a PCE option to transcode to Canopus HQ so we can work.
              Lastly while I guess we could record in the SP 1440 mode and capture via firewire HDV until GV gives us something to work with.

Comment

Dang!~

Kevin has arranged a private audience with the Queen, (er, uh) EX1 in Sacramento this weekend. Thanks for the head-up on the status of 4.6... We'll definitely play in 1440 land for now.
                Rusty Rogers | Films
                >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by DIGITALPOST View Post
                  Rather dissapointing.
                  I'm sorry we aren't able to deliver you a free update module that's well tested, in due time?

Comment

Thanks KH. Any idea whether 4.6 will offer a conversion to HQ format from the EX1 source files?
                    Edius 6.5 on Lenovo W520 laptop: Intel Core i7-2720QM @2.2 GHz, Nvidia graphics card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Canon Vixia HF-G10, three Sony HDV video cameras and one Canon 7D.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulTV View Post
                      well, I have Broadcast which works well with .mxf files, I just downloaded a test file, shot at 35mb HQ 1920x1080 - plays a treat, looks good too, the main issue for me was chromatic aberration, using Z1's and even HDCam often produced very poor results in this department, ( down to the lens' ). The EX however looks very clean, it also has CA reduction with its wide angle lens built in - cool.

I also notice that these files show focus maintained throughout the field of vision, Z1's are seriously soft away from the centre third, I guess the Fujinon lens has made an impact here.

Paul
                      How does itr look when down converted to SD in Edius? I have Broadcast verson and EX on order.

Thanks Ronnie
                      Ronnie Martin
                      Kato Video Productions
                      main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

Comment

Originally posted by RonnieMartin View Post
                        How does itr look when down converted to SD in Edius? I have Broadcast verson and EX on order.

Thanks Ronnie
                        Ronnie,
                        Have you tested .mxf? From Paul's post it looks good to go.

I may go Broadcast sooner than later.

Kevin... Consider it a $400.00 converter.
                        Rusty Rogers | Films
                        >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                        >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                        Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by kwshaw1 View Post
                          Thanks KH. Any idea whether 4.6 will offer a conversion to HQ format from the EX1 source files?
                          Basically it works like any clip within the Bin - select one or more MP4 files in the bin, right-click and "Convert" "File(batch)" to Canopus HQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
                            I'm sorry we aren't able to deliver you a free update module that's well tested, in due time?
                            Thanks for your reply. It just seems like a " if it works... it works" type
                            of thing, and Eduis just needs to read the mp4 wrapper.... But what do I know.
                            I think the file is really the same mpeg2 format as xdcamHD just full raster size.
                            So if Eduis can read the file, then the conversion could be done by user to HQ. It's nice that GV is willing to give a free update, its just that first 1/4 of 2008 "could" be a long wait. If GV support or anyone else could suggest some other workaround that they might have up their sleeve in the meantime < like file .ext rename to trick Eduis > that would help.

Comment

I have to say that I'm not over excited by the downconvert quality I've tested so far, but the number of files around is too small, I'm waiting for my EX plus 2 others: we were going to use these next Tuesday on a shoot, but I don't think they'll show in time.

It all looks really good, timeline out to HD monitoring, but I guess the test will also be "how good does an SD DVD look"

The worry is of course that the extra resolution will just cause more "noise".

This camera is certainly producing more detail than I'm used to, I guess my max has been HDCAM and more recently 330's and 350's but the EX has higher pixel count chips than any of these - let alone recording at 1920x1080 in HQ mode.

Paul
                              Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Getting just the video is the easy part, making sure the metadata gets preserved, and we can browse (like XDCAM HD) requires some real-world testing with the shipping camera.

Remember that our focus is on workflow. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X