Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Quality settings for mp4

Hi,
    When I export to mp4 (with the following video export settings: H.264, 1280X720HD, 5000kbps, frame rate of 25 and key frame on Auto as I work in a PAL) the edges of people moving etc are fuzzy and the general quality is not that great. Anybody able to give me advice on how to better this or please let me know where I go wrong?
    The original footage is taken with a Sony NX5 and I edit with Edius 8.1.
    Kindly awaiting a response and help as searching previous links did not assist me in this regard.
    Teresa Theron

Just Google Hand Brake and use that to encode your file, it is the best encoder at low bitrate, you will need to feed it an uncompressed avi from Edius.
    I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Originally posted by Khoi Pham View Post
      Just Google Hand Brake and use that to encode your file, it is the best encoder at low bitrate, you will need to feed it an uncompressed avi from Edius.
      I like to work fast, uncompressed workflow is very slow

1. export mpeg2 program stream HD 4:2:2 at 50mbps with PCM audio (takes 5 min for a 1 hour timeline on my PC, see sig)

2. encode with Handbrake to 1280x720 web optimized at 5000 dual pass and stereo audio. On my PC (see sig), Handbrake processes 200 frames per sec, approx 4x faster than realtime or 8x faster if using single paass
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

You can export via QuickTime at a way better picture quality compared to Edius embedded MP4 exporter.
        The only limitation is to not exceed a 4 GB limit.
        Encoding is sadly very slow, but you can batch your exports Straight from the timeline.
        If you need more information I can send you a template.

Handbrake gives perfect results, but it needs intermediate files.

Andreas
        Andreas Gumm
        post production / authoring
        PC 1Intel Core i7-970 (6 x 3.20 GHz),
        ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 9800GT
        Windows 7 Ultimate,
        GV software: EDIUS 7.42, VisTitle v2.5,
        GV hardware: 3G Storm
        software SONY DoStudio Indie + EX 4.0.11
        PC 2
        Intel Core i7-3770, GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H F14, 16GB RAM,
        Geforce 650 GTX, 5x HDD, Windows 7,
        GV software: EDIUS 7.42, ProCoder 3.0
        GV hardware: HD SPARK
        software: Telestream Switch, DTS-HD MAS, Dolby Media Meter

Comment

Thank you. Will try various responses but HandBrake seems to be the best answer!
          Teresa Theron

Comment

Hi All,

New day, new issues.

I need to produce mp4 files of from projects.

From Edius Workgroup 8 I 'print to file' with the export preset as XDCAMHD422 1920x1080 50i. The new file's bitrate is 50Mbps, normal quality / speed and audio format as 24bit / 8channel.
            This MXF Video File I then convert to a mp4 with the help of HandBrake 1.3.3.

Only now I have some major problems. Audio is now only mono versus stereo. How is this possible?

The Handbrake settings for the mp4 is 1920x1080, FPS same as source and constant, 5000 dual pass, constant quality of 22 RF all with video codec H.264 (x264).
            Some other settings include Filters - Deinterlace as Decomb, Denoise as NLMeans (ultralight).
            Under the Audio Mixdown I only have Mono.

What am I missing or doing absolutely wrong here?

Or are there a simpler way of creating a good quality mp4 directly from Edius Workgroup 8?

All and any help will be appreciated!

Kind regards,

Teresa
            Teresa Theron

Comment

Handbrake has issues with 8 channel files, it only takes the first channel by default, so you would have to add another audio track in Handbrake and set it to channel2

it is far simpler to export Prores 4:2:2 from EDIUS 9 and X and use in Handbrake

with EDIUS 8, export to mpeg2 program stream 50mbps, it is the same quality as XDCAM HD and encodes super fast in Handbrake, as if the Handbrake was off

to be able to set 50M in mpeg2 exporter, select 4:2:2 in extended settings first, then select 50M
              Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

If Edius would have a senseful H264-Encoder no one would need to feed a freeware encoder with an intermediate file.
                Andreas Gumm
                Windows 7 Ultimate,
                PC 2

Comment

The H264 exporter of EDIUS9 and X is way better than that of EDIUS7 especially at low bitrates

It is also way faster, even without QS
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

I still prefer the QuickTime-Exporter in Edius 9 even if it's slow.
                    The quality of the Edius exporter is a mess also for rendering timecoded screener versions!
                    The EPKs I'm doing on a daily base are always getting rendered by the Quicktime-Exporter.

I had several occassions with tearings and dropouts in H264 files rendered by the Edius-exporter.
                    I can't rely on Edius internal H264-exporter in Edius 9.

Since Edius does not any two-pass rendering, specific bitrates or file sizes as demanded by clients or specified by websites can't be reached reliable.
                    A proper two-pass encoder would analyze a video before balancing the bitrate in dependency of the specified size.
                    Andreas Gumm
                    Windows 7 Ultimate,
                    PC 2

Comment

in that case, export Prores 4:2:2 from E9 and then do the dual pass in Handbrake, it is what I do and it works perfect every time

when using the EDIUS H264 exporter, try with hardware encoder disabled and see if you like the result
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

Sure, I'm using Handbrake already and other freeware tools to serve my clients, but I would expect an H264 quality export from my NLE!
                        ProRes support is the major feature for me to stay with Edius.

Andreas
                        Andreas Gumm
                        Windows 7 Ultimate,
                        PC 2

Comment

I find the workflow very fast based on my system specs

a 60min HD timeline exports to Prores 4:2:2 in 5min

the 60min Prores file encodes in Handbrake at a speed of 240fps, almost 10 x realtime and when I do dual pass, the outcome is still done in 5x faster than realtime, so about 12min for a dual pass encode.

so 5min to make the Prores and 12min to make the dual pass mp4 = 17min

Anton Strauss

Comment

I think it's a kind of a workaround for the missed capability of Edius!
                            I'm disappointed about missing two-pass modes since the removal of the Procoder support.
                            Since then we didn't have a proper two-pass mode for MPEG and even not for H264.
                            High quality export to H264 is something what people can expect from an NLE system these times.
                            Using Edius needs always a set of third party tools to do elementary things.
                            Andreas Gumm
                            Windows 7 Ultimate,
                            PC 2

Comment

Anton - after outputting to ProRes 4.2.2 then converting to H264 with Handbrake, what is your software of choice to getting that H264 file to BluRay disc?
                              Alan J. Levi
                              Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

Working...
                              X