Problem VOB Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem VOB Files

Recently was asked to re-edit some footage that was on a DVD having been copied from tape at sometime in the past, probably using something like a Panasonic or similar VHS to DVD combo. Although I have successfully done this on my own produced DVD`s I encountered a problem with this job in that although I could import the VOB files from having them copied onto my hard drive, they would only play for around 10 secs & then the picture would freeze although the timeline cursor would continue.

I tried rendering but no good, then for some reason I though, let`s see if tsMuxer will see the files, which it did, so I then "Muxed" them and to my delight, they played perfectly in Edius 6.08! So I thought I would post this in case it helps anyone else :-)

It has to do with the way the DVD has been authored; some pieces of software (or hardware) do a better job than others in implementing the DVD standard.

MPEG Streamclip has a very useful feature called "convert to MPEG" which basically reverses the authoring process, it extracts the MPEG 2 from the VOB files. It saved me several times in this same situation.
    Ervin @ www.AtlantaLegalVideo.com
    Edius Pro 8 with TMPGEnc plugins | Windows 10 Pro on Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | Asus Z97 | Intel i7-4970K @ 4 GHz | 32 GB RAM | 4 x 1080 monitors on NVIDIA GTX 1660 6GB DDR5 | 1 x 1080 monitor on Intel HD 4600 | Storage: 3 x 4 TB drives + 1 x 16 TB archive; all drives network mirrored & automatically synched

Comment

Use PgcDemux (free) to demux and join all files into elementary streams, this will give you a m2v video and ac3 audio file

they will work perfect in EDIUS

to do this, only select the IFO file of the VIDEO_TS folder, it holds all info that PgcDemux needs to join all files into a single file
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Also, VOB2MPEG will extract vob files to mpeg program streams. It gives the option to join the vob files into a single file, or separate.

Comment

and if you have TMW5 you can use the source wizard and convert the DVD to HQ Fine (very fast)

note, once the HQ Fine file is in the bin, change its field order to upper, because T5 sets it to lower by mistake
          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Anton, do you have a reliable source for PgcDemux as when I went to what I think was the right site I had a message saying publisher couldn`t be verified! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrymore View Post
              Anton, do you have a reliable source for PgcDemux as when I went to what I think was the right site I had a message saying publisher couldn`t be verified! Thanks.
              unzip the attached
              Attached Files
              Anton Strauss

Comment

Just would like to point to this very helpful and free tool:
                DVD Demuxer Freeware = Total DVD demuxing!
                http://www.dvd-logic.com/demuxer.htm

It automatically demuxes all assets used on a DVD!

Andreas
                Andreas Gumm
                post production / authoring
                PC 1Intel Core i7-970 (6 x 3.20 GHz),
                ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 9800GT
                Windows 7 Ultimate,
                GV software: EDIUS 7.42, VisTitle v2.5,
                GV hardware: 3G Storm
                software SONY DoStudio Indie + EX 4.0.11
                PC 2
                Intel Core i7-3770, GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H F14, 16GB RAM,
                Geforce 650 GTX, 5x HDD, Windows 7,
                GV software: EDIUS 7.42, ProCoder 3.0
                GV hardware: HD SPARK
                software: Telestream Switch, DTS-HD MAS, Dolby Media Meter

Comment

Thanks for your help guys! I have to admit that I couldn`t get on with either of Anton`s & Andrea`s solutions, seemed a bit to complicated for me! :-)

Comment

What's so complicated to place demuxed audio and video in timeline?

Andreas
                    Andreas Gumm
                    Windows 7 Ultimate,
                    PC 2

Comment

For VOB to MPEG program stream may be worth trying http://www.womble.com/products/index.html 30 day trial? It can also fix various GOP issues, etc. In some cases it fixes everything wonderfully, in others not so.

Sometimes the old http://www.womble.com/products/vcr.html is better.

Some people use http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm to fix MPEG2 footage from various semi-propertary multiplexing schemes
                      1st System: Edius 9, TMPGEnc VMW6 & AW5, ASUS P9X79, Core i7-3930K, Intel SSD 330 180GB, GeForce GTX 570, Corsair Graphite 600T Mid-Tower, Sony Optiarc AD-7280S, 16GB RAM, 12TB , Canopus ADVC-300, 2nd System: Edius 9, HP ZBook 17 G3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16GB RAM, 512Gb SSD, 1 TB HDD. Cameras: Panasonic DVX200, Fuji X-T3, Sony RX10

Comment

I downloaded the software & installed it. Then I navigated to the folder containing the video TS file & told it to convert, which it did. Problem is that it created 148 separate audio & video file in one folder & 246 in the second! I would have to import all these files onto the timeline & also hope that I managed to match the correct audio file to the video file!

Or am I doing something very wrong?

Comment

Or am I doing something very wrong?
                          No!
                          DVD content holds alway cryptical names relating to the VTS and title number.
                          What's behind is always unknown until you have a look into it.

PGCdemux is a nice tool if you exactly know what title you want do demux.
                          If you need more than one assets from disc (good for reworking a DVD), you
                          better use the free DVD Demuxer tool as it demuxes all the content as promised.
                          There are maybe other tools providing preview on access so you can choose
                          the clip you want to extract or demux. I just have tried to point to a free
                          valuable software tool that can help to demux the whole DVD which can become
                          extensive in PGCdemux!

Andreas
                          Andreas Gumm
                          Windows 7 Ultimate,
                          PC 2

Comment

Thanks for your help guys! I have to admit that I couldn`t get on with either of Anton`s & Andrea`s solutions, seemed a bit to complicated for me! :-)
                            It is very simple to demux and join with PgcDemux

However, I am currently at Abu Dhabi airport and can't give you a simple step by step
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

No problems Anton! BTW, we will be in Sydney for a couple of weeks next March!

Comment

Working...
                              X