Image Files for DVD/BD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Files for DVD/BD

I think I need some education - appreciate pointers/input.
    I'm attempting to create image files for DVD's and/or BD's in Edius. I go through the process in Edius, but don't get expected image files.

I'm used to image files being .iso or .img etc. for DVD's & BD's.
    I don't find these type of files when process is complete. Instead it's creating VOB's, TS etc. Image burn programs, like ImgBrn, don't recognize these types of files.

What am I missing in this process? Is there something I'm missing in Edius, or something I'm missing ImgBrn, or something else?

Thanks
    Edius 9.51 Pro, Intel i7-5820K 3.3GHz, MSI X99s SLI plus MB, 32GB DDR4 mem, Nividia GTX 760, Win10 Pro x64, BM Intensity Shuttle for preview & capture.
    New to Edius - came from Liquid, before that 16mm film. I've been filmmaking since watching ST TOS first-run live on B&W TV

Edius doesn't create .iso files. Rather, it creates folders.
    You can import these files in Imgburn to create your .iso.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
      I think I need some education - appreciate pointers/input. I'm attempting to create image files for DVD's and/or BD's in Edius. I go through the process in Edius, but don't get expected image files. I'm used to image files being .iso or .img etc. for DVD's & BD's.
      I don't find these type of files when process is complete. Instead it's creating VOB's, TS etc. Image burn programs, like ImgBrn, don't recognize these types of files. What am I missing in this process? Is there something I'm missing in Edius, or something I'm missing ImgBrn, or something else?
      Thanks
      If you want to create iso-files with edius:
      I bought the Software PhantomDrive. After installation you can use a "virtual-drive" (e.g. G:) in Edius. Edius then produces the usual folders and in addition an iso-file which could be used directly in ImgBrn or you could open PowerDVD (which opens DVDs and BDs).
      Works fine since years on my PC.
      I use it to investigate if the menus works as they should - and for I like iso-files more than the usual created folders ;-)
      Regards kurt
      Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro / EDIUS-X(10.32.8750)-WG / Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / RESOLVE-18 Beta-4 Studio / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
      // Read > Test > Understand

Comment

Thanks for the input/info. Very helpful.

Still learning: When I point ImgBurn to the folder, at what "level of folder" do I need to point it? I mean, the folder with the BDMV and BD_Temp files in it,
        or the next BDMV folder with the BDMV & CERTIFICATE folders in it? Or somewhere else?

Help on how this works for understanding would be appreciated. Thanks
        Edius 9.51 Pro, Intel i7-5820K 3.3GHz, MSI X99s SLI plus MB, 32GB DDR4 mem, Nividia GTX 760, Win10 Pro x64, BM Intensity Shuttle for preview & capture.
        New to Edius - came from Liquid, before that 16mm film. I've been filmmaking since watching ST TOS first-run live on B&W TV

Comment

Also, when I create BD folders and use ImgBurn to create iso image, when I then use ImgBurn to create the disc, ImgBurn will burn that iso to either a standard DVD or a BD. How can that work?

Can anyone explain that? This is a short movie, 5 minutes, so the iso is only 1.1Gig, which, of course, will fit on a DVD, but BD format and write speed is different, isn't it?

Doesn't the BD format info reside within the iso? I wouldn't think ImgBurn would write a BD image to anything but a BD disk because the DVD data rates are insufficient for BD, among other things, I thought.

Can anyone help me understand this?

Comment

burning Blu-ray with Nero Burning Rom or Imgburn
            http://www.videoproductions.com.au/html/nero10.html

burning DVD with Imgburn
            http://www.videoproductions.com.au/html/imgburn.html

forget ISO, there is no need for an ISO for the purpose of burning anything created with EDIUS
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
              forget ISO, there is no need for an ISO for the purpose of burning anything created with EDIUS
              For one-time burning you may are right.
              ISO is good to archive images or to send images out to clients by web transfer.

Regarding the idea to burn small BD-images on DVD, that is a bad idea!
              DVD can deliver a limited bitrate only due to less data density compared to Blu-ray.
              It would need more speed to read the same amount of data. This can be done using
              a blue laser only. I'm not sure if DVD media got read by blue or red laser in Blu-ray drives.
              So stay with Blu-ray media!

Andreas
              Andreas Gumm
              post production / authoring
              PC 1Intel Core i7-970 (6 x 3.20 GHz),
              ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 9800GT
              Windows 7 Ultimate,
              GV software: EDIUS 7.42, VisTitle v2.5,
              GV hardware: 3G Storm
              software SONY DoStudio Indie + EX 4.0.11
              PC 2
              Intel Core i7-3770, GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H F14, 16GB RAM,
              Geforce 650 GTX, 5x HDD, Windows 7,
              GV software: EDIUS 7.42, ProCoder 3.0
              GV hardware: HD SPARK
              software: Telestream Switch, DTS-HD MAS, Dolby Media Meter

Comment

Actually the blue laser is more for density than for speed. There's no problems reading fast and accurate from a DVD.
                On a Blu-ray player you have 2 lasers, one for Blu-ray and one for DVD
                DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

Originally posted by Adbear View Post
                  Actually the blue laser is more for density than for speed. There's no problems reading fast and accurate from a DVD.
                  On a Blu-ray player you have 2 lasers, one for Blu-ray and one for DVD
                  Density means read frequency of the laser which correlates with speed to compensate the limited density of a DVD media in BD-Players.
                  DVD is specified for a specific maximum bitrate which links to a minimum specified spin-up-speed for a drive to read out the maximum data rate.
                  In theory I would expect that specific Blu-ray players may read DVDs in DVD mode at specified read speed that matchs DVD-Video bitrate and may not maximum speed for Blu-rays.

Andreas
                  Andreas Gumm
                  Windows 7 Ultimate,
                  PC 2

Comment

People make Blu-rays on to DVD's all the time, they are called BD-5 and BD-9.

The speed of 1x DVD is 11Mb/s, so not really that much of an increase to get them to read at 6 speed to get the highest bitrate for Blu-ray, especially as it's rare to get a drive these days that won't read DVD's at at least 8 speed. Not all set-top players support BD-5 & 9, but a lot do.

Edius even supports making BD-9 discs
                    DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

You forget that BD-5 and BD-9 is suggested to not exceed maximum bitrate of AVCHD spec.
                      It is not official specificied by BDA, so simply expect that specific players can't read these discs properly,
                      especially when maximum bitrate for Blu-ray is used.
                      I wouldn't face clients with potencially technical issues just to save a few cents by using the cheapest media. ;)
                      Staying with the spec. is always the best recommendation.
                      For private and personal use it's a different story.

Andreas
                      Last edited by Andreas_Gumm; 03-06-2016, 10:30 PM.
                      Andreas Gumm
                      Windows 7 Ultimate,
                      PC 2

Comment

Thank you all, great information. I'm still confused on the following question, can anyone inform me?

If I create a BD iso image with high bitrate & resolution, beyond what DVD (or specialty variants of DVD spec) supports, but a file size that will fit on a DVD, will a burning program, such as ImgBurn, allow that file to be burned to a DVD?

I would have thought a program would read the headers and "realize" that such an image could/should only be burned to a BD, but maybe not.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
                          If I create a BD iso image with high bitrate & resolution, beyond what DVD (or specialty variants of DVD spec) supports, but a file size that will fit on a DVD, will a burning program, such as ImgBurn, allow that file to be burned to a DVD?
                          Yes, ImgBurn will burn the iso!
                          Video-DVDs and -Blu-rays have no specific "header"!
                          Both media are simple data discs which following defined specifications.
                          A player expects a specific data structure stored on media using specific UDF versions.
                          This makes the difference!

Andreas
                          Andreas Gumm
                          Windows 7 Ultimate,
                          PC 2

Comment

Working...
                          X