X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• createmedia
    replied
    Originally posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    I am using Edius with the Edius program on my internal computer hard drive and my content files on an external hard drive.

The external hard drives I have been using are the Lacie 500 Gig USB 2.0/Firewire models, and I have been using the Firewire to feed them. I have had bad luck with the Lacies. Of the three I have, two have been in for warranty repair, and now all are out of warranty and two of the three are down again. I think I've had enough of Lacie and need to switch to Western Digital.

My question has to do with interface. Is USB 2.0 better for Edius, or is Firewire better? Or, does it make any difference? The USB 2.0 only models are much cheaper.

Thanks
    I think firewire is better than USB for data handling and removal of the drive. THere shouldn't be any difference with USB 2 and firewire..

I have had 4 WD drives. 1 was NAS that didn't work at all. Of the remaining 3 one only worked after 2 weeks and they have been replaced by WD. So they are not much better in my experience. Bought a 1TB IOMEGA that died after 5 mins. Order cancelled no replacement stock. I also have a Lacie that locks up Windows so that needs re-formatting.

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    For you there backup manualy, Acronis trueimage is the easy way to do this with oute big $.....
    Fyrst backup will be full backup, then all backup after that will be diffirental backup, only the changes from last backup.

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    I like potatoes, you like potaatoes!

That's what makes this whole electronic industry so fun, guys. We all have our favorites (and many learned minds with experience!). In my case, I have 12 WD 7200 drives, rotating them in removeable tray RAID pairs as I need them. They're powered by a 3-Ware controller, and I have never had a problem with any drive (thanks heavens!) in the 6 years of owning the drives. But hey, you know, that's just one man's experience! They handle HD really well - the only problem I have probably stems from an underpowered Power Supply, which was OK until I added on a power-hungry video board recently. I strongly suggest watching those power supply ratings, for they can cause multiple problems that are difficult to solve if you think it's the software or other hardware frailties! And Brandon's absolutely correct - heat is a killer. Each of my drive trays have individual internal fans to keep the drives as cool as possible with continuous use.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• drgagx
    replied
    Like Deane Johnson I do this as an interest, not to earn a living. I have six usb2 drives connected - a mixture of captured dv data, completed avi edits, vob masters and a back up drive - each with on/off switches. I only switch them on when i need to access them. I have another usb2 drive (w/o on/off switch) permanently on. So far this setup has served its purpose. When I upgrade to a current generation pc and, possibly an AVCHD camera, I will specify e-sata. It does not seem necessary to do so yet.

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    I used the external drives (Firewire 800 / USB 2.0) as a backup / archive drive. I do all the editing on SCSI RAID 0 (4 drives) internally. I found external drives a bit cranky when it comes to video editing. EDIUS will sometimes hang when it reads from external drives. Using RAID 0 drives eliminates all my problems.

Leave a comment:

• Blast1
    replied
    Does anyone have a favorite source to purcase components in one of these eSata setups?
    Most of the time I try Newegg first, on the average their prices are fairly good and good customer service, the seagate drives I was using have gone up a few bucks lately, the Kingwin eSATA enclosures are about the same
    http://www.newegg.com/

Leave a comment:

• Deane Johnson
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    Check this one out.

I have my eyes set on this.

It's portable, has USB2 and FireWire800 as well as eSATA...
    Their prices don't seem too bad for what they are offering. I added those pages to my bookmarks. Got to keep track of those. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    I'm sort of doing a manual Raid 1 right now. I have two 500 Gig Lacies and simply copy over to the second at the end of a session. A little primitive, but the way these things have been going down, it's a life saver.

Does anyone have a favorite source to purcase components in one of these eSata setups?
    Check this one out.

I have my eyes set on this.

It's portable, has USB2 and FireWire800 as well as eSATA...
    Last edited by STORMDAVE; 11-17-2007, 02:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deane Johnson
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    eSATA is pretty cheap. You can build one yourself.

If you don't do anything fancy and don't require high datarates, then there are alot of external RAID1 eSATA drives. Just pop in 2 750GB drives (or 2 x 1TB drives, if you have the cash) and fire away. You will always have a mirror.

I am doing everything manually right now (for now). I'll be investing in an external SATA box with RAID5 pretty soon. I still haven't decided on how I am going to share this same setup between 2 computers. Right now I am using my Storm2 system (in sig) as a server and editing station via direct gigabit. So far it's been flawless for SD editing. Once the RAID box comes in, I wonder how I will share it...format it as HFS+ and share it to the PC? Hmmm....
    I'm sort of doing a manual Raid 1 right now. I have two 500 Gig Lacies and simply copy over to the second at the end of a session. A little primitive, but the way these things have been going down, it's a life saver.

Leave a comment:

• Blast1
    replied
    Currently have 4TB of external eSata II drives, the price came to $270 a TB for 500gig seagate drives(5yr warranty) and Kingwin enclosures plus 2 $7 eSATA to SATA pass through brackets for my desktops and $50 adapter for laptops, since I'm using intermediate codecs I don't need any raids, if I did it would be simple to redo a set of drives into a raid configuration or add more brackets. Moving projects from one computer to another to do different things is simple and quick.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    eSATA is pretty cheap. You can build one yourself.

If you don't do anything fancy and don't require high datarates, then there are alot of external RAID1 eSATA drives. Just pop in 2 750GB drives (or 2 x 1TB drives, if you have the cash) and fire away. You will always have a mirror.

I am doing everything manually right now (for now). I'll be investing in an external SATA box with RAID5 pretty soon. I still haven't decided on how I am going to share this same setup between 2 computers. Right now I am using my Storm2 system (in sig) as a server and editing station via direct gigabit. So far it's been flawless for SD editing. Once the RAID box comes in, I wonder how I will share it...format it as HFS+ and share it to the PC? Hmmm....

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    I'd weigh the cost of getting a new drive and current capacity cost of a similar/better unit against the repair cost.

Leave a comment:

• Deane Johnson
    replied
    There are a number of very worthwhile responses here and some good education for me. Thanks.

I'm not quite ready to go the eSata route due to cost, but it looks like the way to go. I may have my next computer built that capacity already installed.

I don't do lengthy editing. Nothing commercial. I have been careless, however, with letting the Lacies run a lot of the time. Perhaps I contributed unnecessarily to their demise.

Any advice on whether or not I should have Lacie repair them. Seems that with replacements running $169, or less, it might not be worthwhile. Any thoughts.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    To add further, the chip used in the SATA-FireWire or PATA-FireWire bridge board makes a big difference. Oxford is the preferred bridge chip, but I've had trouble with even those too. I had 16 drives daisy-chained (Master/Slave across 8 bridge boards). It worked for a while then Windows got REALLY, REALLY, REALLY confused.

At least 3chip's working OK with multiple FireWire drives though, so there's hope!!

Leave a comment:

• 3chip
    replied
    HD Drives

I have been using Maxtor II and Maxtor III External HD's for several years now, daisy chained firewire. The first ones were 300 GB. I have 4 of those. The next two were 500 GB. Then a 1.5 TB. I do not capture nor edit in HDV, just SD. I recently purchases a 500 GB Maxtor which went bad right away. I had a lot of hoops to jump through to get it replaced but the replacement is now up and running. Eight HD's daisy chained. These drives are great for my purposes, no trouble capturing or editing on and if I want to take one of them to a different computer it's very simple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X