External Hard Drive With Edius questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    I'm sort of doing a manual Raid 1 right now. I have two 500 Gig Lacies and simply copy over to the second at the end of a session. A little primitive, but the way these things have been going down, it's a life saver.

Does anyone have a favorite source to purcase components in one of these eSata setups?
    Check this one out.

I have my eyes set on this.

It's portable, has USB2 and FireWire800 as well as eSATA...
    Last edited by STORMDAVE; 11-17-2007, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
      Check this one out.

I have my eyes set on this.

It's portable, has USB2 and FireWire800 as well as eSATA...
      Their prices don't seem too bad for what they are offering. I added those pages to my bookmarks. Got to keep track of those. Thanks.

Comment

Does anyone have a favorite source to purcase components in one of these eSata setups?
        Most of the time I try Newegg first, on the average their prices are fairly good and good customer service, the seagate drives I was using have gone up a few bucks lately, the Kingwin eSATA enclosures are about the same
        http://www.newegg.com/
        GA-EP45C-DSR3,Core2Q3ghz,8gig1066,260GTX,2x 20"AOC,22"Vizio1080pTV, Edius5/HDspark,PC3,Imaginate, CS5ProdStudio/IntensityPro,Win7_64
        HPdv7t 17"notebook,8gig,2 IntHD,9600GT512M,17"extmon, Edius4.61,CS4Prodstudio.Win7_64,MX02Mini
        DAW,HPdv9000,x2Turion,4Gig,2IntHD,Audition3,Cubase 4,XPpro,Alessis F/Wmixer,M-Audio F/Wmixer,BCF2000, BehringerMixers, Fender sound sys
        Numerous Ext eSATA drives & Raids shared between systems

Comment

I used the external drives (Firewire 800 / USB 2.0) as a backup / archive drive. I do all the editing on SCSI RAID 0 (4 drives) internally. I found external drives a bit cranky when it comes to video editing. EDIUS will sometimes hang when it reads from external drives. Using RAID 0 drives eliminates all my problems.
          TingSern
          --------------------------------------
          Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Like Deane Johnson I do this as an interest, not to earn a living. I have six usb2 drives connected - a mixture of captured dv data, completed avi edits, vob masters and a back up drive - each with on/off switches. I only switch them on when i need to access them. I have another usb2 drive (w/o on/off switch) permanently on. So far this setup has served its purpose. When I upgrade to a current generation pc and, possibly an AVCHD camera, I will specify e-sata. It does not seem necessary to do so yet.
            DVC laptop: W870CU i7; 17.3" 1920x1080; 2x 1TB 7200rpm SATA notebook drives; Edius 8.5WG; Windows 7.

Comment

I like potatoes, you like potaatoes!

That's what makes this whole electronic industry so fun, guys. We all have our favorites (and many learned minds with experience!). In my case, I have 12 WD 7200 drives, rotating them in removeable tray RAID pairs as I need them. They're powered by a 3-Ware controller, and I have never had a problem with any drive (thanks heavens!) in the 6 years of owning the drives. But hey, you know, that's just one man's experience! They handle HD really well - the only problem I have probably stems from an underpowered Power Supply, which was OK until I added on a power-hungry video board recently. I strongly suggest watching those power supply ratings, for they can cause multiple problems that are difficult to solve if you think it's the software or other hardware frailties! And Brandon's absolutely correct - heat is a killer. Each of my drive trays have individual internal fans to keep the drives as cool as possible with continuous use.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
              Alan
              Alan J. Levi
              Director

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller

Comment

For you there backup manualy, Acronis trueimage is the easy way to do this with oute big $.....
                Fyrst backup will be full backup, then all backup after that will be diffirental backup, only the changes from last backup.
                JoiCam´s
                Edit station1: i7 6700K 4 ghz, 32gb ram, Edius 9 Workgroup, Davinci Resolve studio 16, 8GB GPU & Intensity Pro 4K
                2: 17" Laptop i7 w: Edius 9 Workgroup
                3: HPxw8600 dual 3ghz Xeon, STORM 3G, , Edius 7, 32 GB ram.
                4: Edius 7, Supermicro x7da8 dual 3ghz Xeon.
                Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
                Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
                And more

Comment

Originally posted by Deane Johnson View Post
                  I am using Edius with the Edius program on my internal computer hard drive and my content files on an external hard drive.

The external hard drives I have been using are the Lacie 500 Gig USB 2.0/Firewire models, and I have been using the Firewire to feed them. I have had bad luck with the Lacies. Of the three I have, two have been in for warranty repair, and now all are out of warranty and two of the three are down again. I think I've had enough of Lacie and need to switch to Western Digital.

My question has to do with interface. Is USB 2.0 better for Edius, or is Firewire better? Or, does it make any difference? The USB 2.0 only models are much cheaper.

Thanks
                  I think firewire is better than USB for data handling and removal of the drive. THere shouldn't be any difference with USB 2 and firewire..

I have had 4 WD drives. 1 was NAS that didn't work at all. Of the remaining 3 one only worked after 2 weeks and they have been replaced by WD. So they are not much better in my experience. Bought a 1TB IOMEGA that died after 5 mins. Order cancelled no replacement stock. I also have a Lacie that locks up Windows so that needs re-formatting.
                  Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 64 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

Working...
                  X