X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    As a non-native English speaker I am not too sure if I understood where you set the frontier: when does a comment help „to make this GUI more user friendly“, and when is it actually a feature request?

- To say "The GUI is too dark" might be a comment in terms of what this thread is meant to be - but not a constructive one. This applies even more for comments like "I hate it.", "I find it actually quite nice", etc.
    - To say "What if the GUI was better balanced, concerning contrast between background and e.g. sliders?" seems more constructive, but could be interpreted as a feature request already and would therefore disqualify for this thread. (?)
    - To say "Allow different colors for markers" technically sounds like a request (and in fact is one), yes - but it also comments from that users point of view that markers having all the same colour might be something to be thought over concerning the GUI.

The optical appearance of e.g. sliders will not only relate to their pure visibility, but as soon as their size and position come into play also relates to their handling. The same goes for the display of waveforms, the size/clearness/arrangement of tool windows, symbols, buttons etc.

Therefore: What do you want us to comment on, since complaint comments don't help anybody, and constructive comments on something that is not yet realized or implemented in the GUI might be categorized as what you call a feature request?

Thank you very much for clarifying this. Non-natives Speakers sometimes just need a little more paraphrasing or context :-)
    Excellent point, and my admiration for all of you that speak more than one language. It is one area of my many shortcomings.

Basically what we don't want is "I would like waveforms in the Player Monitor" or "I want to be able to drag clips from the timeline to the Bin with Effects".

What we basically want is things that will make the interface more pleasing to work with. Yes, this does get into some functionality at times. For example waveforms on the Timeline. No one liked the change with the name on the bottom so it was reverted to somewhat the same as 7. But we would like the waveforms look to be better than that (and that will affect function). In this example the screenshots are very valuable for us to show the engineers vs saying we need better waveforms.

If I had to sum it up, I would say your post should address, does it have to do with the way the EDIUS GUI looks?

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
    Let me say one more time, THIS IS NOT A FEATURE REQUEST THREAD. As Steve has pointed out, there is a procedure for that. This thread is for GUI comments only. We are trying to make this GUI more user friendly so let's keep the thread on topic.
    As a non-native English speaker I am not too sure if I understood where you set the frontier: when does a comment help „to make this GUI more user friendly“, and when is it actually a feature request?

- To say "The GUI is too dark" might be a comment in terms of what this thread is meant to be - but not a constructive one. This applies even more for comments like "I hate it.", "I find it actually quite nice", etc.
    - To say "What if the GUI was better balanced, concerning contrast between background and e.g. sliders?" seems more constructive, but could be interpreted as a feature request already and would therefore disqualify for this thread. (?)
    - To say "Allow different colors for markers" technically sounds like a request (and in fact is one), yes - but it also comments from that users point of view that markers having all the same colour might be something to be thought over concerning the GUI.

The optical appearance of e.g. sliders will not only relate to their pure visibility, but as soon as their size and position come into play also relates to their handling. The same goes for the display of waveforms, the size/clearness/arrangement of tool windows, symbols, buttons etc.

Therefore: What do you want us to comment on, since complaint comments don't help anybody, and constructive comments on something that is not yet realized or implemented in the GUI might be categorized as what you call a feature request?

Thank you very much for clarifying this. Non-natives Speakers sometimes just need a little more paraphrasing or context :-)

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Let me say one more time, THIS IS NOT A FEATURE REQUEST THREAD. As Steve has pointed out, there is a procedure for that. This thread is for GUI comments only. We are trying to make this GUI more user friendly so let's keep the thread on topic.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_SL
    replied
    This is the way feature request need to be submitted:
    http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24594
    Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 11-12-2015, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• plekkie
    replied
    8.1 GUI comments

Some remarks with screenshots to clarify (some may already have been mentioned):

In Edius it is possible to scroll through a counter by selecting the counter, the mouse pointer gets two small up/down arrows and you can use the scrollwheel to increase or decrease the counter. In Edius 6 (if I remember correctly) you could scroll even when the mouse was not kept exactly over the counter, it just needed to be selected. In Edius 8 you need to be exactly over the counter, if not, something else will move or change. As I use this a lot, it is very annoying. See 2 screenshots, 1 where scrolling would work ok, 1 where it doesn't, even though the mouse has hardly moved.

When I want to drag a file in the bin to another folder, the folders are not highlighted, so it is guessing by the position of the mouse pointer in which folder the file will land. So each time I do this, I need to double-check if the file has gone in the right folder. (see 1 screenshot)

I would prefer more contrast of sliders and check boxes vs background. See screenshot of layouter window.

I am using the default colour settings of Edius WG 8.1. I have tried with lighter settings but this did not improve contrast.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak_HD
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
    Yes it has been requested. You can pretty much rest assured that all of the normal things have been requested.
    We used to be able to post in the feature request thread.
    Since that thread has gone and the long list has vanished we still can't see the 'normal' things back in the current version.

I'm sure that many if not all users are lost on what has been in the long list, what has been shot down (and why) and what has been requested since and is seriously looked at.

This manner of feature request (last I remember was pm ?) Is definitely not working out for us (and edius)

Leave a comment:

• lotn
    replied
    I really like GV browser but the filter editing in another asset management tool could give some ideas:

- select all video clips where location is Alaska AND shooted wide
    - select al video clips where location is Alaska OR shooted wide
    - select all video clips whete locations is NOT Alaska and NOT shooted wide
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Alter Ego
    replied
    Bin Contrast - Used Clips On Timeline

A selected clip in the bin is difficult to see. There isn't enough contrast when you have many clips. Also I think someone already mentioned the green dot for clips used on the timeline.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lotn
    replied
    I don't know if these are normal things already requested. Anyway, here are my inputs:

• review the UI palette to add more contrast (sliders, etc...) to compensate the lack of 3D pseudo relief that has been lost with the adoption of Modern UI style.
    • review buttons masks, the blue plane overlay looks like some proof of concept. There are ways to swap pixmaps.
    • the zoom slider position is quite unusual. In other apps, it is mostly seen in the bottom of the window or canvas.
    • adopt the double-click sets to default value paradigm for filters params, sliders, etc...
    • the bin should allow three distinct levels of zoom for the veiw that include vignettes. Not the same use for those three, thus not the same magnification need.
    • left click and drag on the TL ruler should allow horizontal scroll of the TL, like does alt+MB2 when the pointer is on tracks.
    • recall defaults for audio mixer.
    • fix dynamic range display issue with loudness meter when in EBU mode.
    • in the TL, review mouse wheel events callback to zoom in. something like:
    1. ctrl modifier horizontal zoom, actually no change
    2. shift modifier => vertical zoom in/out of whole TL (ie all tracks)
    3. alt modifier => vertical zoom of selected track

• when zooming in TL horizontally, make display to be adjusted on center defined by play head position.
    • fix in/out overlay on tracks: becomes invisible with selected clips
    • design a generic docking system allowing to dock scopes, etc...
    • allow multiple docks on separate windows.
    • review filters slider button shape: too small
    • allow different colors for markers.
    • mouse wheel in TL without modifer: why, oh why must we turn the wheel backward to make the cursor go forward ??? This stills bugs me...

For the audio alignment, we already have a way to set offset with sample level accuracy and almost all has been said on the waveform display. What would be very useful when having to sync drifted audio is to add Elastique Pro: stretching audio without pitch shift

Browser:
    • make the GV browser to use the UI color settings, not the hard coded default.
    • Menu bar could be a bit lighter. there is a visual perception problem with black desktop when running not maximized.
    • same remark as for EDIUS for the zoom slider
    • add ctrl + mouse wheel binding and callback for zoom in/out of vignettes.
    • in thumbnail mode, automatic zoom on hover is not activated, why ?
    • edit of filter criteria for catalog is cumbersome and limited to logical AND: this AND that AND also this AND that too. This could be a tree in left pane and allow alternative (OR) and negate (NOT).
    • Include user tags in the above tree.
    • make the drop down button for list view also a cycling button and possibly relocated on left.

Attached pics:

- IN/OUT zone when clip not selected
    - same when clip selected
    - IN/OUT selection zone always visible as transparent color overlay
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lotn; 11-11-2015, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Evans
    replied
    These are a few screen shots of the same waveform in EDIUS 7.5 and Vegas12. I tried to get the first two close and they are very similar. The difference is in Vegas the height of the track is fully variable and the waveform can be zoomed in to audio lock level. Very handy for just drawing out a click etc.

Ron Evans
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Yes it has been requested. You can pretty much rest assured that all of the normal things have been requested.

Leave a comment:

• Andreas_Gumm
    replied
    Originally posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
    Dat would be fantastic. .......
    I second that!
    Another annoying thing is the missed presence of the waveform in nested sequences, which is urgently needed.

Andreas

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak_HD
    replied
    Dat would be fantastic. .......
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Once we are talking about the display of waveforms: is it stated as a feature request already to see the waveform of an audio-only file in the preview window?

Adobe Premiere does this when you import .wav, .mp3 or other audio formats and drag them into the preview window. You can see much more detail at once without having to expand the timeline track (and you don't even need to place it in the timeline).

I am talking about what is marked with "A" in the screenshot
    https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro...ierePro_UI.png
    (I could not make and post a screenshot of my own, that's why I did a google image search. Hopefully the link works for you.)

This would be extremely helpful for editors who are used to the technique of "seeing" audio:
    - if you have lots of music files for a project and need to chose one of them. In a big waveform preview you can see dynamics very well and shuttle through the music file quickly to scan for suitable parts.
    - if you have a separate long audio recording, e.g. from a speech or concert, you could scan through for identifying what "must be the third or fourth track of the event", as some clients sometimes say.

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak_HD
    replied
    Not trying to change Edius in a DAW here but with these waves I can look at for hours in a row.

While this version of Wavelab (6) is a bit dated, its very capable software which even allows for re-drawing of individual samples within the wav display using you Mouse or Wacom pen.

We don't need to zoom until the millisecond either but at present Edius is far from perfect or even good at audio.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X