Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio syncing problem

Hello everyone

I'm using Edius v.7.41 and I try to edit a two-camera project at 1920x1080 29.97 fps (both cameras). Both cameras started and stopped simultaneously and audio from the 3 show presenters was also continuously recorded at an external recorder, one stream for each. So I've got 2 mp4 files and 3 different audio mp3 streams (128 kbps each).

I accurately set sync in points for both camcorders, placed them on V1 and V2 on my timeline and did the same for the audio track, which I placed on A1 (stereo).

Here's where the problem starts. Playing back the timeline, I can see that video and audio sync just fine on the first few minutes but as the 32-minute timeline moves on, the audio goes out of sync. Near the end, the audio is completely asynchronous compared to the video stream.

Same thing happens when I convert the mp4 files to HQ or HQX or even when syncing either one of the other mp3 streams.

I tried importing the same video and audio files into Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 and to my big surprise everything is absolutely perfect and synced, so I can tell for sure it's either an Edius bug or a wrong setting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Happy Trimmer Productions
    Athens, GR

Convert the mp3 to wav in an audio editing program and see if that improves the sync. Clock differences between the recorders may still make the sync a little different.

Ron Evans
    Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Yap, that solved the problem... So, you're saying it's not an mp3 thing but has to do with the recorder itself, am I right? I keep wondering, though, why this is not an issue with Premiere...
      Athens, GR

Comment

No it's mp3 that is the problem. I expect Premiere converts to 48k wav before doing anything with the audio. If the clips were longer there may be a problem with audio drifting out of sync due to clock differences between the recorders. I expect if you really examined the timeline at 1 frame you may see the drift now.

Ron Evans
        Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Comment

Let me see if I get this right. Are you suggesting Premiere does some sort of "internal" conversion of any mp3 file? I'm not sure this is the case. I think it's the way the software handles mp3 files in general. Now that we're talking about it, I can remember several times where I had to edit mp3 audio and cut points were anything but accurate. I never had such an issue with Premiere, despite the fact that I strongly avoid working with mp3 files for a number of reasons. I'm not so sure it's not an Edius and mp3 thing...
          Athens, GR

Comment

Correct, EDIUS does not like mp3. Always convert to wav. I always convert mp3 to 48k wav if I am using in any editing program anyway since the mp3 is likely 44.1 VBR.

Ron Evans
            Ron Evans

Comment

Thanks a lot, Ron. Very useful info. I knew there was some kind of issue with Edius and mp3 files. I give a great deal of attention to audio on all my productions, which is why I always ask that the sound guys deliver in pcm wav files. It would be good, though, if Edius could handle the mp3s better...
              Athens, GR

Comment

Originally posted by Themis Gyparis View Post
                Let me see if I get this right. Are you suggesting Premiere does some sort of "internal" conversion of any mp3 file? I'm not sure this is the case. I think it's the way the software handles mp3 files in general. Now that we're talking about it, I can remember several times where I had to edit mp3 audio and cut points were anything but accurate. I never had such an issue with Premiere, despite the fact that I strongly avoid working with mp3 files for a number of reasons. I'm not so sure it's not an Edius and mp3 thing...
                I pretty sure Premiere does convert the audio. For every file with audio it makes a 'Conformed audio' (.cfa) file, which is what it then uses whilst you edit
                DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

Yes, you're right. It totally skipped my mind... That explains why it handles mp3 audio better.
                  Athens, GR

Comment

Working...
                  X