Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Edius doesn't like stills - and crashes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Edius doesn't like stills - and crashes!

Hey folks,

I have a specific Edius 7.5 crash here that occurs again and again. Here is what happens:

As you can see on the image, I have six video tracks with only graphics in it. There is one color matte, four stills (made inside Edius with Ctrl+T from video material) with no effects and no Layouter action in any of them (except for having downscaled three of them - but no keyframe acion yet). On Track V6, there is one QuickTitler that has little keyframe action. There is no video material in the timeline at this point. Actually, I am only at the very beginning of the project.

Edius plays this part normally, BUT as soon as I pick the curser and move it for- or backwards in the timeline, Edius feels like reacting very stagnantly and eventually freezing itself off some five seconds later, leaving me clueless but with only a windows message saying that edius won't work anymore. No error code, nothing.

Click to Enlarge

Windows7 PC | Quadcore Processor | min. 4 GB RAM | Project: HD 1080 25p | all files are on internal HDD with 350GB free

What really confuses me are the following facts:
    # I have the exact same error on my notebook (Win7, DualCore, 4GB RAM)
    # Every other Edius project on this computer runs smoothly - with lots of material on several tracks with fast cuts, Layouter effects etc.
    # I have replaced the aprox. 6MB big still images with compressed versions (jpg, png of only 1MB size), but the problem remains.

It seems like Edius simply does not like six video tracks with 4 stills in it. :-)

Anyone had a similar experience? Any advice? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 08-27-2015, 12:26 PM.
    Intel Core i7-7820X ---- Noctua NH-D15S ---- MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK ---- 64GB RAM 2666-15 Corsair Dominator Platinum ---- 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (system SSD) ---- 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (data SSD) ---- Aorus Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti ---- be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 Case ---- be quiet! Dark P. Pro P11 850W ---- Win10 Pro ---- Edius WG 8.53.2808

Could you post your system specs as well as the still's codec or codecs.
    Have you tried starting a new project and trying this exact same setup? The project could just be corrupt.
    If not, give that a try.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

also, confirm Quicktime player version, because it is used for stills handling

ideally use tga stills, they works very reliable and don't need Quicktime

I see you are editing from the C drive, is that on purpose?

I also see you use the left audio channel only, is that on purpose? meaning sound from left speaker only, I would change the channel mode so that 1a holds a stereo track instead of just left, or use 2a for the right channel. on the other hand you may have it mapped in sequence settings so that anything on 1a will go to left and right
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Could you post your system specs as well as the still's codec or codecs.
        System: Intel i7-4770S @3.1GHz | 8 GB RAM | Win7 Prof. 64 bit | nVidia GeForce GT 610
        Remember, I have the same error on another system (fujitsu notebook with Intel i5, 4GB RAM)

Stills are made internally in Edius (Ctrl+T) from video material:
        MXF container with mpeg2 stream, 1080 50i in a 1080 25p project

Have you tried starting a new project and trying this exact same setup? The project could just be corrupt.
        If not, give that a try.
        I will try this when there is no other solution.

also, confirm Quicktime player version, because it is used for stills handling

ideally use tga stills, they works very reliable and don't need Quicktime
        Quicktime player version is 7.7.6 (1680.95.31), which I cannot update here (no Admin rights). Do you happen to know if 7.7.6 is up-to-date enough?

I see you are editing from the C drive, is that on purpose?
        It seems weird to me, too. From what I've been told, I would never install a video editing software on the Windows partition. The company's reason was that the C drive is the fastest and therefore the best choice (I doubt that specific reason).

I also see you use the left audio channel only, is that on purpose? meaning sound from left speaker only, I would change the channel mode so that 1a holds a stereo track instead of just left, or use 2a for the right channel. on the other hand you may have it mapped in sequence settings so that anything on 1a will go to left and right
        Your second guess is correct. I always use audio channels as stereo channels. Since my source material holds only 2 channels, I can mute, swap or mix them up with the "panorama and balance" effect. In this particular case, it is a stereo wave music file - where it makes even more sense to me. Additionally, it safes screen space in the audio part of the timeline, which makes working with 10 video tracks more suitable on smaller screens. :-)

So far: thank you, guys! I will try your one or other suggestion and see what it brings.
        Intel Core i7-7820X ---- Noctua NH-D15S ---- MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK ---- 64GB RAM 2666-15 Corsair Dominator Platinum ---- 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (system SSD) ---- 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (data SSD) ---- Aorus Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti ---- be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 Case ---- be quiet! Dark P. Pro P11 850W ---- Win10 Pro ---- Edius WG 8.53.2808

Comment

I would install the NLE software on the system drive, but have the actual project files stored on a separate drive or raid.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com
          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Could you post up the still pics and the project in say a zip file and we can try?

Mike
            Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 72 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

Working...
            X