• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Edius 6.55 Install Error

Getting a install error after a clean update to Windows 10

Error opening file for writing:
    C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\cdrblock.sys

It lets me ignore and keeps installing. Looks like everything works but I do get an edius system report message.

What exactly is cdrblock.sys and do I need it?

Thanks!

I got E7 to install under Win10, but I'm on my own.

As are you my friend. :~/
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by smontoto View Post
      Getting a install error after a clean update to Windows 10

Error opening file for writing:
      C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\cdrblock.sys

It lets me ignore and keeps installing. Looks like everything works but I do get an edius system report message.

What exactly is cdrblock.sys and do I need it?

Thanks!
      I doubt that 6.5 is compatible with Win10

did you install from a file or from a DVD? it sounds like a disk reading issue?
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I am sure that the dongle driver is not compatible with WIN10, and may never be, so at least I am staying with WIN7 for my version of EDIUS 6.08.

Ron Evans

edit just realized you were talking about 6.55.
        Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Hey Rusty, yes I know what you mean. If it wasn't for Anton and users like him I would have long migrated everyone in our studio to something else. I hate the snarky responses I see from Canopus moderators/support to anyone using a earlier version than the buggy bleeding edge latest. Time is money and we try to keep things that work as long as possible.

Anyway, Yes Anton. I reinstalled Edius 6.55 from a dvd after doing a clean update to Windows 10 on this workstation. The issue didn't come up until I installed the latest 6.55 upgrade I downloaded from the website.

Edius is working and I opend/closed and exported a timeline fine. I havent delved deep into a project but right now it looks ok. Just had that weird error and didn't know if it was a critical file. We don't export directly to dvd from Edius.

Thanks

Comment

sometimes errors like that can happen when the temp folder is not empty prior to applying the update because it may clash with similar temp files from a previous installation

in any case, as long as it works, leave it for now

from what I hear, the latest EDIUS 7.5 update is Win10 compatible, but there is no official announcement at this stage, however I don't have Win10 to test and be sure
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

...Time is money and we try to keep things that work as long as possible...
              I completely agree. Unless you need to edit in 4K, there's nothing wrong with Edius 5.51. Still works for me!
              Regards,

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
              #2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
              #3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53

Comment

Edius 6.5 Trial works in Windows 10

I have installed Windows 10 / 64 bit (on windows 7 64 bit) and with Edius 6.55 already on the system.
                EDIUS 6.55 asks afterwards to enter the serial number again + the previous serial number (was already a upgrade). This works but I get a Error code 4120.14176:1E and I can NOT open my Edius 6.55. Then I downloaded the trial version of Edius 6.5.
                AND THIS OPENS! Including the output to my HD-Spark. Also, my personal settings I had made in my version.
                EDIUS 6.5 Trial Version works in a Windows 10 environment. But also by this way I can not insertet my serial number.
                The system can see my serial number as permanent, but in red, and the trial version with 30 days credit.
                I have not yet had time to test the stability of the Edius 6.5 Trial version in Windows 10 but it works. I think it would be possible to work in Windows 10 and Edius 6.55 if Grass Valley accept the changes.
                I know that Grass Valley writes that there is no adjustments more coming for 6.55, but maybe there is someone how knows how I get my paid version activated in Windows 10.

Comment

I hate the snarky responses I see from Canopus moderators/support to anyone using a earlier version than the buggy bleeding edge latest. Time is money and we try to keep things that work as long as possible.
                  Those comments are meant to save time and money. All they are doing is letting you know that the product is not designed for use with the OS mentioned. If trying to save users from crashing and burning is now snarky, then I prefer snarky.
                  You can do anything you wish as long as you understand the consequences and that GV is not responsible.

Edius 6.5x was written for Win 7. I'm sure there will be reports of users running 6.5x on Win 10 as well as reports of others that tried and failed.

If Anton has an issue, I know he can get out of it. Can you do the same on a moments notice? There are a lot more variables to running software than just installing it and saying it does work properly.

I would always have a clone of your original setup with Win 7 nearby just in case Win 10 takes a bite out of your time and money.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com
                  If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                  http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                  Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Why Edius 6.5 TRIAL version works under windows 10 (including my HD-Spark output and export to file) and not my own paid version of 6.55?

Comment

Here here Jerry

I have held back on Windows 10 upgrade as I have a lot of software and there is always the risk that some of it it might not be compatible.

It is about risk management and also about time, I want to edit not spend time fixing the computer system.

GV have made a clear statement that it is only the latest version of Edius 8 that has Windows 10 compatability, and at some point I guess GV have to look forward to all the work involved for the requested features to be added to Edius and not look backwards to getting older versions to work on Windows 10.

All engineering development effort costs personnel, money and time and all businesses have to make costs and benefits decisions, usually aimed at progressing the product forward against the competition. Therefore any user that chooses to update to Windows 10 with older versions of Edius does so at their own risk, said here many times. If you bought a Ford Focus don't expect to find a Ford Mustang on the drive next day as a free upgrade.

I will be making a Windows 7 back up image just before I change to Win 10 so that I can easily return to the current setup if there are too many problems revealed, and anyone that wants to give Windows 10 a try I would recommend they do the same.

A quite good article on Windows 10 is here http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...0-vs-windows-7 and http://www.infoworld.com/article/295...windows-7.html apart from having extra tools it has a shorter boot time and better hardware acceleration but there are no figures on that in these articles, and the addition of DirectX 12 is mainly for the gaming environment. I have to question hard as to how it benefits my editing experience.

Perhaps for a balanced opinion someone who has upgraded to Windows 10 with Edius 8 could reply as to whether Edius is any different in performance on Windows 10, because that is my primary interest.

I remember the long used expression if it ain't broke don't fix it. If there are no obvious benefits of changing to Windows 10 there is no need to do it.

Regards

Mike
                      Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 72 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

Originally posted by createmedia View Post

I remember the long used expression if it ain't broke don't fix it. If there are no obvious benefits of changing to Windows 10 there is no need to do it.

Regards

Mike
                        Unless Jerry says otherwise. IMHO
                        E9 PRO ,Intensity Shuttle capture Nvidia 650 TI LG 3D Monitor HDMI Win 10 PRO 64 Bit.Vistitle 2.6, Robuskey. ASUS Z370 I7 8700 16 GB Hyper X black RAM 250GB 960 EVO. 2 ITB Disks

Comment

For Edius 8.1 on Win 10, we still have a few things that need ironing out. GUI scaling is one of the items.
                          However, Edius 8.1 runs faster on Win 10 with my system
                          than it does on Win7, on the same system.

In Mike's case, where he has a non main stream system, any results I have seen will possibly not apply to his setup.

Make a clone of your system and do a test upgrade.
                          That way you won't loose anything. Plus, you can see what Win 10 is all about. There are plenty of tutorials out there to show you how to customize Win 10.
                          Jerry
                          Six Gill DV
                          www.sgdvtutorials.com
                          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I have Edius 6.5 running on Windows 10 update November. My installation comes from an update to Windows 8.

If I format my PC and install Windows 10 from scratch ...

EDIUS 6.5 can operate?

Comment

Working...
                            X