Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing captured files from Analog sources into Edius 8 Pro

Hello everyone.

I Have an issue and want your help because i don't know what else to do.
    I have an old SONY TRV 120E Hi-8 Video Camera which also reads D8 Tapes.
    Unfortunately the DV OUT does not work, so i had to capture the material from 20 Tapes using the Svideo Cables for the Video, and 2 Rca cables for both audio Channels
    I used the Blackmagic's Media Express Suite chose the Pal setting and the procedure completed succesfully.
    Something that i think it might be useful to know the whole material was captured with the MJPEG codec.
    So i started Edius 8 Creating a Pal project and chose the 16:9 format.
    The settings are SD PAL 720*576 16:9 50i (i have also tried 25p)
    I then imported all the material successfully and "played" with the Layouter by correcting the "Width fit".
    Now the export procedure. Allthough i have set the settings to "lower field" 16:9, and Fine hq codec, when i export the project to Dvd the result is totally shaky (fishbone) and it is not 16:9. It is something like a magnified 4:3 aspect ratio but not a 16:9
    It has been a very long time since i last edited this kind of material, and i suppose i am doing something wrong, or i have forgotten something.
    Your help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by panosole; 07-27-2015, 09:54 PM.
    Computer Details
    Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
    Core i7 10700K @3.8GHz (8 Cores 16 Threads)
    32GB DDR4 (2*[email protected] Mhz Corsair)
    1*500 GB NVME EVO 970 plus(O.S and programs)
    2*1TB SSD Samsung EVO 870 Raid 0 for Editing
    1 Sata Dvd-R
    Nvidia GTX 1060 OC 6GB Ram 192Bit
    2 LG IPS235v-BN Led 23"
    Windows 10 Professional x64
    Intensity Pro
    Edius Workgroup 9.55.7761
    Vistititle 2.9.0.1

Once you go Mac you may come back!!
    Once you use FCP, you always need to render
    Thats why i switch to Edius !!!

Not sure I understand "lower third" in this context, or "shaky (fishbone)." Is that a result of deinterlacing and/or incorrect field order?

What capture card did you use? E7 and E8 should be able to capture directly to HQ formats from some Black Magic Designs products (e.g., Intensity Pro) without having to go though Media Express. You shouldn't need to use Layouter to make 16x9 footage fit on a 16x9 timeline, but you might need to adjust clip properties.

Comment

Originally posted by dpalomaki View Post
      Not sure I understand "lower third" in this context, or "shaky (fishbone)." Is that a result of deinterlacing and/or incorrect field order?

What capture card did you use? E7 and E8 should be able to capture directly to HQ formats from some Black Magic Designs products (e.g., Intensity Pro) without having to go though Media Express. You shouldn't need to use Layouter to make 16x9 footage fit on a 16x9 timeline, but you might need to adjust clip properties.
      oops!!!
      It is lower field and not lower third....
      i corrected it!!!
      shaky i mean that the DVD Playback is not smooth, i suppose it is interlacing problem.
      The Card is the Intensity Pro and it is the first tiem i captured from Media Express (and probably the last...)
      Unfortunately there is no time to recapture all these tapes from Within E8. Now i need to add titles and do some basic Editing ,then i have to do DVD Authoring. It would be better if the result could be 16:9 and not 4:3.
      Any ideas as to what is wrong? I will export Mpeg2 files and import them to Encore DVD, or to DVD Studio Pro for Mac.
      Last edited by panosole; 07-27-2015, 10:03 PM.
      Computer Details
      Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
      1 Sata Dvd-R
      2 LG IPS235v-BN Led 23"
      Intensity Pro
      Vistititle 2.9.0.1

Comment

If they are tape files they are likely interlaced so project should be interlaced too. You may want to check the file properties that they agree with what you think they should be and correct as necessary before editing in EDIUS. If they are old tapes they will likely be 4:3 and it may be better to leave them this way. If you try and put in a 16:9 project they may be stretched to fit. Not what you want. They may be true 16:9 though with non square pixels. Do you know how they were taken ?

Ron Evans
        Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

1. DVD is upper field first and never lower field first
          2. were your tapes shot 4:3 or 16:9
          3. if 4:3 and you want 16:9 set project setting to 16:9 or resize the 4:3 footage to fit in the 16:9 frame, if so, you must add 20% sharpness filter
          4. after that, export to mpeg2 elementary streams and use in your authoring software (video 7700 max and audio 256 ac3 and closed gop)

TAW5 and DVD-Lab Pro and Encore will take these files with not further encoding

Note: If I capture native 4:3, I use a 4:3 project settings and I make a 4:3 DVD and any DVD player or Blu-ray player with HDMI will display it in the center of the 16:9 screen automatically. If you have a DVD player with analog cables, you need to set the TV aspect accordingly on the TV remote
          Last edited by antonsvideo; 07-28-2015, 01:45 AM.
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
            1. DVD is upper field first and never lower field first
            2. were your tapes shot 4:3 or 16:9
            3. if 4:3 and you want 16:9 set project setting to 16:9 or resize the 4:3 footage to fit in the 16:9 frame, if so, you must add 20% sharpness filter
            4. after that, export to mpeg2 elementary streams and use in your authoring software (video 7700 max and audio 256 ac3 and closed gop)

TAW5 and DVD-Lab Pro and Encore will take these files with not further encoding

Note: If I capture native 4:3, I use a 4:3 project settings and I make a 4:3 DVD and any DVD player or Blu-ray player with HDMI will display it in the center of the 16:9 screen automatically. If you have a DVD player with analog cables, you need to set the TV aspect accordingly on the TV remote

Antons and everyone else thank you all very much.
            The tapes were 4:3
            I changed the fields from "lower" to "upper" and it is working perfectly.!!!
            Set the project to "upper fields" , and the captured file from its properties to upper field, now it is automatically resizing and it is 16:9 .
            Wowwww...thanks again.
            Of course the Exported DVD shows 16:9 picture as it should.!!!
            Computer Details
            Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
            1 Sata Dvd-R
            2 LG IPS235v-BN Led 23"
            Intensity Pro
            Vistititle 2.9.0.1

Comment

I note that BMD captured files are not always what they say they are in the Bin, I have seen upper field clips be labelled as lower, so you may need to change the setting to make it smooth.
              Sys4: Z10PE-D16WS MB 2xE5-2696 Xeon 72 active logical cores. EWG9. 64G RAM. Aorus GTX1080Ti. 55" Q7 1500 NIT HDR 4K TV/Storm 3G Elite/Decklink 4K 12G/8CH audio monitoring, Yamaha RXA-870 A/V. Sys1-3 EWG8 + RX-E1+HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 2 x X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3800. All sys Fibre to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID + QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W sub 63" HD 3D Samsung TV

Comment

yes, especially if capturing to Canopus HQ, many tools such as TMW5 incorrectly set these files to lower field instead of upper
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Working...
                X