Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Clarke
    replied
    If transferring and AAF between EDIUS and Avid then I would use MXF DNxHD which is only possible now you have Workgroup. However not every program can read MXF DNxHD so it may not be the best option for you. The workflow would also depend on where you start and where you are going. If I am starting in EDIUS and going to Avid then I would use native files and just transcode the bits I use.

I don't think there is a "one file sorts out every program approach". Every program read MOV DNxHD files is you install the free Avid codec, but it is also know to have problems converting colour spaces and does not work very well with AAF exports from EDIUS to Avid in the way the MXF DNxHD files do.

Leave a comment:

• jacquestoo
    replied
    @David Clarke: Thank you very much! I'm fully aware that EDIUS can ingest just about anything you'll throw at it. Yet, EDIUS is not my sole and only NLE. Like I stated before, the material I'm processing is from diverse sources. Most of the NLEs do not cover all the CODECs in question.

On the one hand, I convert to DNxHD because it is the one common denominator available to me. On the other hand, my clients request DNxHD files at delivery.

Leave a comment:

• David Clarke
    replied
    Why convert the footage in the first place? I would just use the original footage in EDIUS. EDIUS can cope with pretty much anything natively.

If you need to go to Resolve make an HQX AAF using just the bits on the timeline and grade that. If you need to send the edit to Avid do the same thing but make DNxHD MXF files.

Leave a comment:

• jacquestoo
    replied
    Thanks to all of you. I shall not say too much right now, as I hope for some more alternatives. If I settle too soon on one of your suggestions, I might never become aware of these alternatives. I promise to provide feedback, and maybe my own take, in time.

The material comes from a variety of cameras, with a variety of CODECs. It is first saved to an array of hard drives.

Initial editing takes place in EDIUS. Then it is round-tripped to Resolve and back to EDIUS for additional editing and/or export.

The following relates to other NLEs: Prior to linking and/or import I converted to either ProRes or DNxHD.

Up until now I have used CLIPTOOLZ CONVERT for a converter. It produces equally good conversions for ProRes and DNxHD. I like in particular the interface. It's a free download, yet it would be nice if users sent Mr. Wayne Norton, the dev., some beer money 'cause it's hot where he lives.

Leave a comment:

• David Clarke
    replied
    I would use the DNxHD MXF option at more4K says which you will get with EDIUS Workgroup 8. It was an extra you had to buy with EDIUS Pro 7.

Having that plug-in makes quite a difference to any workflow. I use it most when transferring projects between Avid and EDIUS. If going to Resolve I use Grass Valley HQX MOV.

What Workflow are you talking about? Where is the footage coming from (camera, hard drive etc) Where is it going to (Avid, Resolve - as you mention grading)

Leave a comment:

• Drbgaijin
    replied
    Jacques,
    I am pretty sure that this does not answer your question.
    But it might be of interest all the same.

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/2015/2015_FreeStuff.html

Regards
    Douglas

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    If Media Info is to be trusted, then it appears that Workgroup can indeed export DNXHD into 10bit format. Here is a screen shot of a test I just did:
    DNXHD 10bit.jpg
    Remember, this is the native DNXHD and not the QT based DNXHD.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-22-2015, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jacquestoo
    started a topic Call for DNxHD Workflow for EDIUS 8 Workgroup

Call for DNxHD Workflow for EDIUS 8 Workgroup

I'm looking for any forum member able to elaborate on a practical DNxHD workflow for EDIUS 8 Workgroup. I'm fully aware that there have been a number of discussions of this nature with regard to earlier versions.

I'm in particular interested to learn if DNxHD is now available in 10 bits, as this would allow better color grading than 8 bit.

I have also noticed that, I believe it was David Clarke, advised against converting to DNxHD prior to ingesting it.

Up to now I have adhered to the position that it is better to convert from long formats, such as for instance AVCHD, as soon as possible in the process, as there is a legitimate concern re. generational degeneration and the forming of excessive artifacts.

Apparently EDIUS 8 Workgroup can ingest DNxHD 10 bit. Question: Can it process it, and can it export 10 bit?
Working...
X