Error Capturing Via Firewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Capturing Via Firewire

I need to capture some MiniDV tapes into Edius. I have a small Panasonic camera to capture from via a Firewire cable to a PC. In Edius I have it set up as

Input H/W:Generic OHCI
    Stream:Input
    Stream Format:720x576 50i
    Codec:DV (HW)
    File Format:AVI
    Audio:SDI/HDMI/1394 embedded
    Audio Format:auto detection
    Proxy File:HiRes Only
    Convert 16bit/2ch:No
    Stereoscopic:OFF

When I start capturing it cuts off the start of first clip that is captured. What can I do to stop this?
    System:
    Custom build PC: EDIUS 9 Pro; ASUS PRIME H310M-A Motherboard; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB; 500 Watt PSU, 1 x 250GB SATA2 Drive for System, 1 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB SATA2 drives for video footage; Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Internal BD-RW Burner; Windows 10 64 Bit

UK & Ireland Cameraman and Video Editor

this is normal because when you click capture, it takes up to two seconds to start recording

so start 2 or 3 sec before the first clip, such as the black or color bars that you recorded at the beginning of the tape

you can also mark in and out on the tape and then click capture, but this will fail if you don't have at least 5 sec of bars or black prior to the first clip

I always recorded 1min of bars on a new tape before taking the first shot, this ensures the tape is out of the dropout zone which is typical at the very beginning and very end of a tape due to the plastic clip that attaches the tape to the spool causing tape creases in the first couple of layers, these creases cause dropouts in the video
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thanks for your reply Anton. The problem is that I didn't film this - I was handed it by the customer so I have no control over the content of the tapes.
      System:
      Custom build PC: EDIUS 9 Pro; ASUS PRIME H310M-A Motherboard; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB; 500 Watt PSU, 1 x 250GB SATA2 Drive for System, 1 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB SATA2 drives for video footage; Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Internal BD-RW Burner; Windows 10 64 Bit

Comment

in that case, you will need to discard the first 1-2 seconds, I am sure it could not be important right at the beginning since each camera person (I know) rolls the tape for a bit before calling any action
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
          in that case, you will need to discard the first 1-2 seconds, I am sure it could not be important right at the beginning since each camera person (I know) rolls the tape for a bit before calling any action
          I thought as much, so will have to lose a few seconds like you say.

just want to also check that I have the right settings for my Firewire capture preset. in the Input H/W, Format Settings the default is as it is in the screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Firewire.JPG

Are these correct? In Uk, so PAL 720x576 16:9
          System:

Comment

I don't see a jpg when I click your link, it just takes me to my dropbox account

you can attache jpg right to this forum by clicking advanced at the bottom, then manage files

for best results, use png

the Win7 snapshot tool creates png by default
            Anton Strauss

Comment

also, if your OS is Win7 you may want to select the legacy driver for proper firewire 400 capture
              Anton Strauss

Comment

Ok, sorry about the dead link. attached one here
                Attached Files
                System:

Comment

that setting only works if you have a deck with preroll function such as Sony DSR-60P or 80P
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                  X