First Try At Chroma Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Try At Chroma Key

I have taken my first stab at using a green screen, combined with the NewBlueFX Chroma Key Pro effect.

So here are the settings I have set in the Chroma Key Pro options:
    http://screencast.com/t/g2sMv91DV

And here is a test video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9F03ekfBAU

Obviously just look at the single speaker with the black screen. I don't know if I did some things wrong with the lighting and/or what settings I might set to make the outline better around the speaker. It basically isn't a professional looking effect because of the outline moving... especially around the neck.

Any suggestions for settings?

Is there a better effects program that can do this well?

As a side note, I mostly am putting backgrounds behind this video, so that seems to look better. I just wanted to do this one part with a pure black screen behind. If this is harder to do for some reason, I can shoot these segments with just a black screen behind. Suggestions appreciated.

Did you use a Green or Blue screen? Could you post a single frame of the clip, pre effect. I'll try it with NB and Robuskey.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

It looks to me that the skin tones are picking up reflections from the green screen. How close did the subject stand to the green screen?
      Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

I used a green screen.

The green screen was probably 12-18 inches behind the subject.

If you have opinions on lighting, that would be great. I am aware this is probably as much of an art as a science.

I attached an image. Is this image enough Jerry?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Derek Hart; 06-15-2015, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Derek,
          Have the subject be a little further from the background and also make sure the background has a smooth surface. I have a very large fabric backdrop that is a pain with wrinkles and bunching. A good steamer will help with that.
          Make sure the background is as flat as it can be. That way lighting is much easier.
          Here is your still processed with Robuskey:
          Robuskey test.jpg
          NB ChromaKey Pro isn't as efficient at this. The only downside to Robuskey at present is that there is an issue with noise in black subjects.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

The green (or blue) screen needs to be lit evenly, with no "hotspots", ideally independent from the lighting for the subject.

The subject should not cast a shadow on the screen behind and should be far enough away not to get any bounced light from the screen. The subject needs to be feet away from the screen, not inches.
            Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

There is a ton of info at Videomaker.com on green screen work here.

Even lighting, separate from your subject and distance are the best hints!

Jim

Comment

12-18 inches is too close and keeping the background black is a sure way to show imperfections in the outline because the eye has nothing else to look at.
                Jim Willett
                UAB CIRC
                Dell 3630 Precision workstation
                Nvida 1060 OVC, CPU i7-8700 3.7GH
                Edius 9.4

Comment

try these chroma key settings
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Anton, use his file sample with those settings.
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                      Anton, use his file sample with those settings.
                      I can when I am back from holidays, don't have newblue on laptop
                      Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                        I can when I am back from holidays, don't have newblue on laptop
                        I had to work a bit to get it to work with Robuskey.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV
                        www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          I had to work a bit to get it to work with Robuskey.
                          I guess the green was badly lit? or the chroma keyer placed below layouter instead of above?
                          Anton Strauss

Comment

A little bit of both. After moving both above layouter I get a better key from Chroma Key Pro, but there is still some green bleed over. I don't see any difference in the key when placing Robuskey above or below layouter.
                            There is a big difference with Chroma Key Pro. But, still not as good or as quick as Robuskey. Robuskey's key looks more natural.
                            Jerry
                            Six Gill DV
                            www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

I'm exporting a Robuskeyed clip as a GV HQ Fine AVI, added a Chrominace filter to select dark colors and added the Neat video noise remover. A lot of extra work and time rendering but a workaround.

Comment

Working...
                              X