Edius - Lots of HD activity and slow response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius - Lots of HD activity and slow response

This post is more for getting some hints and tips on possible configuration and settings to make Edius run better than actually saying there is any problem.

The set up is this, Place a number of 720p clips on the time line along with a number of SD clips (SD clips on track above HD clips). Total time of most clips 25 minutes or so and there is a total of 3+ hours on the time line.

System specs you can see below and I am running the last update of Edius, 7.50.

So actually as soon as I import clips into the bin the hard drive takes off and I know it is indexing the video and also reading the audio tracks for the waveform and possibly other functions. This is the issue, if I then say need to video mute or audio mute some of the tracks, there is a huge delay in response while the system is doing whatever it is to or for the new clips I have pulled in. Scrubbing and normal play back seem to be ok once I get control back but even cutting a clip has a big delay.

While I think I understand what is going on in the background, (and if I am incorrect , please inform me), what can be done set up or settings wise to eliminate or minimize the issue? (other than to walk away and get some coffee)

Thanks,

Jeff
    Created Design Video
    "Video production for the common man"

Sager NP9170 i7-3160qm, 8GB ram, 480GB SSD, 240GB HD, GTX675m, 17" HD, Win 10 home 64bit

Panasonic AG-HMC40, AC-160a,
    Edius Pro 8.53

Check out Anton's excellent site where he give you a ton of information on setting up your PC to run efficiently.
    i7 3930K, Win 10 pro 64 Bit.
    RAM 32 GB.
    ASUS P9X79-Deluxe.
    PS Thermaltake 1kW.
    Graphics Gigabyte GTX1660 OC.
    OS:Intel 535 SSD 480 GB, Data: two 2TB WD Cavier Black, RAID 0.
    Cameras: Sony EX1, AX100, x1000v, A7R4, DJI Mavic 2 Pro
    SW: Edius v8.53 WG & 9.52 WG, Vegas 17 Pro, CS6, Resolve Studio 16, Hitfilm 2017, Sound Forge 13, SpectraLayers Pro v6.0, Neat Video v5, Vistitle 2.8.5 TMPEnc VMWorks 7, Auth. Works 6, MochaPro v4.1, Robuskey, DVD Architect 7, 3D LUT Creator.

Comment

Tried cleaning your %temp% files and maybe enlarge your swap file.
      Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
      EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
      wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

Open Task Manager -> Performance -> Resource Monitor and check which process(es) are responsible for the disk activity. The Disk Activity section of the Disk tab in Resource Monitor can show you the full paths of the files being read/written, you can sort it on the "Total (B/sec)" column and find the files with the most I/O.

Comment

If it's still indexing the files you just brought into the bin then there's not really much you can do until it's finished indexing and creating waveform caches. In theory if it's AVCHD or MPEG you could turn off the 'Create seek information in the background' in the 'Accelerated seek' option, but that would probably make it awful to use on the timeline.

The only real way to speed it up is to get a faster CPU as yours is only a 2.3Ghz laptop CPU
          DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

Thanks and I will look into all of this. Yes a faster system would be nice, but I got this one only 3 years ago and I think the quad core with HT i7 still is a great processor.

Jeff
            Created Design Video
            "Video production for the common man"

Sager NP9170 i7-3160qm, 8GB ram, 480GB SSD, 240GB HD, GTX675m, 17" HD, Win 10 home 64bit

Panasonic AG-HMC40, AC-160a,
            Edius Pro 8.53

Comment

Working...
            X