Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Illiance
    • May 2007

No Audio Playback Edius 7

I've been having a problem with audio playback on a new system. i recently bought an Alienware 17 laptop, i7-4910 MQ @ 2.9 GHZ and 32 GB RAM, 8 GB Graphics using an HDMI output to a monitor and at the same time I crossgraded from Edius 6 to Edius 7. None of the clips will playback audio... either on the laptop or the monitor when connected...the clips have audio visually in the waveform and mixer levels, just no audio coming out of my system. I've checked the mixer on the laptop and have audio on everything else.... is there a button I haven't hit - I just know it has to be something simple. (The audio does play back on my desktop computer with v.7)
    Last edited by Illiance; 03-22-2015, 10:10 PM.
    Hermit's Lair Media Productions LLC
    Desktop: Edius 8.3 Intel Core i7 / i7-4790 Windows 10 / 32GB DDR3 SDRAM, CineRAID w/ 4 4TB HDD's @ RAID5
    Laptop: Edius 8.3 / ALIENWARE 17 - Intel i7-4910MQ Processor 2.9GHz 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz RAM, 2TB RAID 0 5400RPM + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching, Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) 17.3" WLED FHD , 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M Graphics
    "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"~John Milton
  • antonsvideo
    • May 2007

check in control panel under sound to see what is set as your default sound device, if wrong, select the correct one
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 64GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• Illiance
      • May 2007

In the laptop's Control Panel under 'Sound' the default (and only option) is 'Speakers' for playback... in the Mixer section on the taskbar, besides the "Device" - Speakers and "Applications" - System Sounds..... there is a third device called "Edius QuickTimeHost" and the volume is at 100%, but still no sound from the Timeline or Playback windows.
      Other applications, such as youtube videos in the browser, have audio, as well as all the system sounds.
      When I click on the Mixer on my desktop, there is also the additional volume control with just the name "Edius" (without the words 'QuickTimeHost') with the logo showing... on the laptop there is no logo, just a white rectangle. In addition, when I boot up Edius and open a project, I get a notice at the bottom of the screen stating "Preview - Device doesn't support the current format - Switching to Software Mode", which is also something that I've never encountered before. Could this be a corrupted file managing the "QuickTimeHost"?
      Desktop: Edius 8.3 Intel Core i7 / i7-4790 Windows 10 / 32GB DDR3 SDRAM, CineRAID w/ 4 4TB HDD's @ RAID5
      Laptop: Edius 8.3 / ALIENWARE 17 - Intel i7-4910MQ Processor 2.9GHz 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz RAM, 2TB RAID 0 5400RPM + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching, Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) 17.3" WLED FHD , 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M Graphics
      "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"~John Milton

Comment

• antonsvideo
        • May 2007

first of all, turn off that silly device warning in system settings, hardware, preview device at bottom left

while there, you should see that the preview device is generic OHCI

can you see the audio move in the EDIUS audio mixer VU meters? make sure monitoring mode is set to off at top right of EDIUS audio mixer
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 64GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• Illiance
          • May 2007

First of all, thanks for your responses Anton... I appreciate all the help you've given over the years. There's something quite amiss with the system and I'm not sure what's going on. I followed all of your advice and still no audio. I uninstalled the program and reloaded version 7... it crashed and would not open at all. I uninstalled it again, loaded up version 6 and it worked fine... no issues with the audio. I then reloaded version 7.31 and it won't open at all - gives me the message "Crash" "Edius has stopped working due to unexpected issues." I then installed the 7.42 update, which did open a project, but again no audio. To sum it up, v.6 works fine, v.7.31 doesn't work and v7.42 works but no audio. I'm going to go to customer support at this point to see if they have some idea of what's going on... again, thanks.

Comment

• antonsvideo
            • May 2007

did you remove all folders and hidden folders of EDIUS6 prior to installing EDIUS7?

was antivirus uninstalled or disabled during the installation? which AV program?

any third party firewall installed?

was windows defender disabled?

any yellow warnings of missing devices in device manager? what is your OS? if Win 8.1, you must not install the original EDIUS7 release, get the full installer of 7.42 (not the updater)
            Last edited by antonsvideo; 03-05-2015, 02:58 AM.
            Anton Strauss

Comment

• Illiance
              • May 2007

Anton -
              did you remove all folders and hidden folders of EDIUS6 prior to installing EDIUS7? - Yes

was antivirus uninstalled or disabled during the installation? which AV program? Yes

any third party firewall installed? - No

was windows defender disabled? - Yes

any yellow warnings of missing devices in device manager? what is your OS? if Win 8.1, you must not install the original EDIUS7 release, get the full installer of 7.42 (not the updater) - Nothing amiss in the device manager

I did another complete uninstall, reboot, re-update with all virus programs disabled - all to no avail. For what it's worth, I did make a short video of a clip and the audio did transfer to the clip... it's only in operating Edius that the audio issue fails. Somehow it has to be in the connection between Edius and Alienware as I mentioned Edius works fine on my desktop. I bought the laptop as I thought it was pretty much a hotrod with 32 GB ram, 8 GB video and a pretty fast chipset... the boot drive is SSD also. Sometimes it's just a simple button that causes the problem but I just can't seem to find the button.

Comment

• antonsvideo
                • May 2007

how are you monitoring audio?

1. built in speakers?
                2. external speakers?
                3. sound from HDMI monitor?

can I see a screenshot of control panel, sound, so I can see all possible devices

what is your OS?
                Anton Strauss

Comment

• Illiance
                  • May 2007

I tried both the HDMI and the laptop's speakers... both worked with everything except Edius.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate

Screenshot attached with both mixer and control panel Sound window
                  Attached Files

Comment

• antonsvideo
                    • May 2007

your screenshot is a blurr, I can't see anything

save it as png and attach, then the forum won't convert it to a low res blurry jpg (providing the png is less than 450kb)

can I also see a screenshot of the EDIUS audio mixer and the trackheaders of your timeline
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

• Illiance
                      • May 2007

Here's the two screenshots again. There is a difference from an earlier reboot as the icon and volume fader for the Edius QuickTimeHost is missing from the Volume Mixer
                      Attached Files

Comment

• antonsvideo
                        • May 2007

both screenshots are the same

can you set the Realtek as default audio device
                        Anton Strauss

Comment

• Illiance
                          • May 2007

Yes, I set it as the default device but the result was the same, audio everywhere except Edius

Comment

• antonsvideo
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Illiance
                            Yes, I set it as the default device but the result was the same, audio everywhere except Edius
                            can I see a screenshot of the EDIUS track headers and the EDIUS audio mixer with sound visible
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

• antonsvideo
                              • May 2007

also, start a new project and add a colorbar clip to timeline, do you see audio during playback on the EDIUS mixer? if so, it needs to be heard unless your track header settings, or sequence audio mapping settings, or project audio mapping settings are incorrect
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...