Using EDIUS 4.5 and new pc config for capture of HDV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robbin View Post
    just want to add that i can edit fine without raid. Just have to split your files to different hardrives. The benefits are a safer system where only 1 hdd will fail. In a raid 0 all drives fail.
    Here is the catch though, if you want to move all of the files to a single drive for storage, you could be there for hours trying to locate every little file.
    Also, can you edit 4-5 layers of 1920x1080 (not 1440x1080) clips with 3d pip applied to each clip in realtime with that one drive?
    Didn't think so.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I use consolidate project and moves the files to an external sata drive for backup purpose. No need too look for the files. From the backup file i can render out to diffrent formats and make small changes When editing i have about 2 video clips on each hdd and its been working good for me. Havent tried any real project with 1920+1080 video files so cant say if that works.

Comment

3 streams HDV editing with Edius is even possible on a notebook:
        (If you have a max of 3 cameras delivering HDV MPEG2-TS)

(I am using a DELL notebook M1710
        T7600G [email protected], 4GB RAM, [email protected] Hitachi HDD)

There are 2 external 2.5" SATA-HDDs @7200rpm (Seagate)
        connected via one Dawicontrol Adapter (DC300-ExpressCard to 2 x eSATA).

The main thing:
        I suggest to capture only one camera per HDD !

This means less seeking for the HDD.
        No need to find far separated blocks belonging to 3 different
        camera streams shot at the same time.

As long as you keep each camera stream separate and defragged on 1 HDD,
        it becomes possible to keep data flow fast enough
        to have Edius decode these HDV-streams in realtime,
        CPU dependent.

The maintained 50-60MB/s per drive are sufficient for HDV streams here,
        no need to build any array yet for me.

My video studio fits in a pilot case, together with 1.6TB storage.

Comment

This depends entirely on what sort of work you do. Three streams of native HDV (not HQ AVI) should be easy to work with but as soon as you add a number of stills, AVI HD Jumpbacks or any style of plugin (ProDad) it falls in a screaming heap, even in Edius which is probably the best multi-format NLE available.
          Any serious editing with HD files should be on a Raid and drives are so cheap security shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
          X