No announcement yet.

Using EDIUS 4.5 and new pc config for capture of HDV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's for Glass Valley to answer :-). But, seriously, I doubt that turnkey solution will allow you to acquire 8 tapes worth of HDV data at 1080i using Canopus HQ codec. That single SATA 500GB hard-disk will be stretched to the limits if you do that.

Now - if Glass Valley says that configuration will work - I believe them. However, you got ask your supplier - how many streams of HQ can that config support? And whether it can work with YOUR workflow - 2 streams of 8 tapes HDV (1080i) at Canopus HQ format.
    TingSern
    --------------------------------------
    Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

HDV @ 25 Mbps = ~13 GiB/hour of footage
      Canopus HQ @ ~150 Mbps = ~78 GiB/hour of footage (HQ codec is variable bitrate so this is just an estimate, and a generally high one at that)

Now a 500 GB drive = ~465 GiB, translating to ~5.96 hours total, not accounting for volume management space Windows might need, other files, etc. And remember that drives get slower as they get closer to being full.

Comment

The point I am making!

I am not by any means intimating You are incorrect at the calculations and I am sold on the fact I need a faster disk setup is undisputed.

The point I am making is it would seem that a GV turnkey system is much lower powered than mine so you would think I would have little problem with my setup.

However that system is not suited to my workflow 8 tapes by the way as I said is the very worst case.

Many weddings are only 3 / 4 tapes at most!!

I think using the canopus HQ codec is the way to go I just need a solution for a faster disk setup.

with the available PCI slots is there a solution for a raid? would I benefit from a pci driven raid card with sata 2 disks?

I dont want to edit native HDV if I can help it so the only way to go for my workflow is faster drive setup.

I need a little help in choosing a setup to give me the data rate and so far I cant see that happening with a PCI driven raid card...............

Am I wrong?
        Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
        Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

Nope, sounds like you're on the right track. However, systems vary so much in bus bandwidth, etc that it's tough to say a "faster" machine is better than a "slower" machine. Of course it works if they're the same platform, but it gets wacky when they're different chipsets or motherboards.

For your RAID setup, you want a solution that minimizes CPU utilization, doesn't completely hog the bus, and I would highly recommend some fault tolerance, whether it's RAID-3, RAID-5, RAID-10 or something else.

The more footage you have, the more you have to lose if a drive fails, and in a striped setup without fault-tolerance, you lose one drive, you lose everything. So statistically, the more drives you have, the more likely you are to experience a failure.

Comment

Cath,

I use RAID5 in my setup. Basically, one hard-disk worth of space is required to hold the parity. And you need a minimum of 3 drives to set it up. 3 drives get you the space of 2 drives. 4 drives give you the space of 3 drives, and so on.

With regards to RAID cards on PCI only (not PCI-X) - I am not sure if PCI (32 bits bus) have the required headroom to handle the I/O transfer ... that's why you see most RAID cards today are PCI-X (64 bits at 133mhz). I just checked Adaptec website - it seems there are NO more PCI (32bits) RAID cards being made - they are only PCIe (PCI Express) and PCI-X only.

Nearly all reputable RAID cards come with an onboard controller that takes the management of the RAID away from the main CPU - hence, if you get a RAID card from Adaptec, 3WARE, etc ... that aspect should be fine.

Therefore, if you want a RAID 5 (fault tolerant) system, you should get at least 3 1TB SATA2 disks - then you will have 2TB of space available for your video data.

Having said that, your motherboard available slots will pose a problem for you. RAID card for you means only PCIe slots ... you can't use that 3WARE card - because it is a PCI-X card. So, if you count your available PCIe slots and plug in the NX card and a RAID card - I think your motherboard won't be able to do this job.
            Last edited by tingsern; 01-24-2008, 05:12 AM.
            TingSern
            Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Funny how going away from a problem and returning can give new clarity!

I too overnight have come to the conclusion that my mobo will not support the way I want to work!!

I need more PCIe slots if I am going to install NXe So new motherboard it is then!

Any suggestions from ASUS

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11

Why dont they leave space in between the expansion slots!
              Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
              Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

I don't have any experience on ASUS motherboards. Perhaps other members can guide you here.
                TingSern

Comment

You may also want to consider an external RAID solution based on eSATA. There are conversion brackets you can get.

Just be extra picky about external eSATA RAID enclosures. Some are port multipliers (relies on the host system to do the RAID processing) while the more expensive ones are truly self-contained and do their own RAID processing, showing up to the host system as just one large drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Imagine Video View Post
                    Funny how going away from a problem and returning can give new clarity!

I too overnight have come to the conclusion that my mobo will not support the way I want to work!!

I need more PCIe slots if I am going to install NXe So new motherboard it is then!

Any suggestions from ASUS

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11

Why dont they leave space in between the expansion slots!

What you need is a workstation mobo. It is just that simple. If you are staying in the Core 2 Duo route, which would be the most cost effective with your chip, and since you are using Asus look for the boards that have WS included in the model number.
                    If you are going to build a new system you might want to look into Supermicro boards for Xeon chips. This will be a little more expensive, but will net a top notch editing system. With the release of the penryn chips, the older processors and boards will begin to drop in price.
                    Go to Guy Graphics site and use the configurator to put together a system.
                    This would be a tool for you to get an idea what boards and chips you can use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131039

This is the unit I have. It also costs $100 more than when I bought it 2 years ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131236
                    Here is a newer chipset with pci-e 2.0 and pci-x slots.
                    Stuff to look at.
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com
                    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I think, in UK, Supermicro systems (casings/motherboards) will cost her a bomb. It won't be cheap - but, it is very stable - and zero problems with hardware.
                      TingSern

Comment

OK here is the scoop on this situation. Jerry, you are always right there with your advice! I am going to give you a recipe that works quite well (there is one on my build bench as I type this) The ASUS PK564 WS is the board to go for. It is also listed on the GV/Canopus compatibility list with no additional workaround notes. This board has the benefit of accepting an Intel 9650 Core 2 Extreme CPU (3.00GHz Quad-Core with 1333 FSB), Run 2GB (2 x 1GB pair) of OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333MHz Memory Sticks. This Mainboard has 4 PCIe 16x slots as well as two 32bit PCI slots. Run the NX express in the top blue PCIe and the NX expansion board in the adjacent black PCIe. Install a Highpoint 2310 four port SATA-300 PCIe x4 Raid Controller in the next PCIe black slot and install your PCIe graphics card in the bottom PCIe slot. I am running the ASUS EAX1950 Pro and it occupies two slots as it over hangs the very bottom slot which is only a 32bit PCI slot that is not needed. Install 4 seagate ST31000340NS 1TB enterprise class SATA-300 drives onto the raid controller and set up your raid as 0, 0+1 or 5. In a raid 0 set up with 2 - 2TB Arrays (because XP Pro 32 bit will only see volumes no larger than 2TB) you will get an average 249 MB/sec with 2% cpu utilization (+/- 2%):). If you only used 1560GB of each of these volumes that would give you 20Hrs of HQ on each! Run a pair of 250GB SATA-300 drives, 1 - online, the other an offline clone for your OS & Apps system drive and toss in a pioneer BD-202 SATA Blu-Ray Burner and you got a killer machine. I power all this with an OCZ (PC Power & Cooling 1KW SR power supply. I do have an additional matched pair of memory sticks to install if this system is to ever go 64bit, or I could install it now and mess with memory voltage for stability. But as BH (Brandon - Not in Tech Support Higa) has mentioned in the past that beyond 2GB in a 32 bit OS is a bit of overkill. This system will go out with a pair of Behringer MS-20 digital&analog audio reference monitors as well as a Panasonic TC-LX700 32" 1080p HD LCD connected to the NX card via component and a pair of 24" 1920x1200 LCD displays connected to the graphics card. Add the Edius 4.5 Broadcast dongle and your ready to take on most any HD project.

Let me know if I left any details out.

George Dame

Grass Valley Systems Intergrator
                        George Dame
                        Grass Valley / Canopus System Integrator - Nearly 13 Years
                        Providing Systems, Onsite Delivery, Support & Training Services Nationwide
                        Get Your Copy of The Edius 6 Comprehensive Tutorial by contacting me via PM, email or phone
                        Invite us to your local video association for a full demonstration!
                        www.editHD.com - 1-877-ieditDV

Comment

Except that I am not sure if the NX expansion board is using PCIe or PCI 32 bits bus? Mine is the older NX - so the expansion board is on PCI 32 bits - but it still works great. My NX itself is on a PCI-X 64 bits bus.
                          TingSern

Comment

Check out the ASUS P5E WS Professional mainboard. It utilizes the newest Intel X38 chipset and has
                            2 x PCIe 2.0 x16
                            1 x PCIe x 1
                            1 x PCI-X
                            2 x PCI

Looks like it could suit your needs now and support a PCIe solution in the future. This board is loaded with features.
                            Last edited by gdame; 01-25-2008, 05:21 AM.
                            George Dame
                            Grass Valley / Canopus System Integrator - Nearly 13 Years
                            Providing Systems, Onsite Delivery, Support & Training Services Nationwide
                            Get Your Copy of The Edius 6 Comprehensive Tutorial by contacting me via PM, email or phone
                            Invite us to your local video association for a full demonstration!
                            www.editHD.com - 1-877-ieditDV

Comment

About ASUS P5E WS PRO

i bought it 4 days ago with an Intel Q9300... but my NX PCI-X doesn't work in the HD format... only in this format... others are run good... it seems that the card isn't compatible with the X38 chipset... if someone have an idea, i take... :>)... many thanks (and sorry for my bad english)
                              Gilbert (from France)

Comment

just want to add that i can edit fine without raid. Just have to split your files to different hardrives. The benefits are a safer system where only 1 hdd will fail. In a raid 0 all drives fail.

Comment

Working...
                                X