Audio - what am I missing here..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio - what am I missing here..??

Simple problem, but no solution at the moment. For some reason, regardless of how I set the audio output when making a DVD or Bluray from a stereo track timeline, I cannot get a "center channel" output. From my screening room sound system (7.1) - only getting "stereo" output to 2 speakers - even when "dialogue" is centered - and in phase. What audio setting outputs a 3 (or more) channel audio - I thought it was "AC3"?

Thanks for your input, guys.
    Alan
    Alan J. Levi
    Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

M theater is set up perfectly, and when receiving the proper signal outputs 7.1 with center channel perfectly. I'm actually running 11.1 full output. So somehow the signal to the surround processor out of the EDIUS-made Bluray is not the same as commercial Blurays. On the EDIUS timeline is center channel dialogue (both channels driven equally) as well as stereo FX and Music.

Thanks for your input, but still confusing.
    Alan
    Alan J. Levi
    Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

Hi Alan.

If you are working in stereo you won't have a dedicated discrete centre channel. As Andrew is saying, if you want a centre channel you will have to use a mix that uses a centre channel, and encode to multi channel AC3.

If you were working with a surround source mix that was matrixed to pro logic, then this would work if decoded by pro logic. But Edius does not encode the matrix information for pro logic. Bear in mind that pro logic only has limited surround information, and does not encode/decode discrete high frequency channels in the same way as AC3 does.

Edius can supply the discrete channel routing for 5.1 AC3, regardless of forced muting of any channels, again as Andrew is pointing out. But Edius does not have surround panning capabilities.

Basically, Edius is doing exactly what you are telling it to do. The lack of centre channel, or sub and rears for that matter, on playback. Is due to that information not being present in the routing of your Edius audio routing/mix and subsequent encode/decode process.

Cheers,
      Dave.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Many thanks guys for your responses. I'll look into that center channel EDIUS capability.

Cheers and thanks again,
        Alan
        Alan J. Levi
        Director

Comment

one your timeline is setup correctly as 6 channel, 5.1 etc you will be able to hear the center when playing the timeline by selecting stereo listening in the audio mixer at top right, it is a new option in case you are not sending all channels via HDMI to an amp and from amp to TV

1. in project settings, choose 6 channel or 8 channel
          2. in sequence settings, change the setup like this
          3. add the audio to their tracks
          4. to listen to all channels in EDIUS when HDMI is not connected to sound amp while playing timeline, enable stereo
          5. when creating the Blu-ray, be sure you go to Movie Tab of the Disk Burner, and in the audio section, be sure the correct multichannel ac3 is selected
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Anton - thanks a bunch. Follow what you advise. I think I did what you advised, but in a slightly difference way. Here's what I did, and you can tell me if it results in the same playback from Bluray.

Only channels which are "center channel are the AV1 and V1 and V2 - all dialogue channels. All other channels - V3 through V14 are stereo music and SFX.

I did change to 6-channel output, and verified AC-3.

I changed the VA1 track and the A1 and A2 tacks all to MONO - since they are the only tracks I don't want spread to any other speaker than the center. All other tracks seem to be spread amongst all speakers as they should be - panning as instructed on the track pan commands. Center stays center, obviously!

So how does this look to you?

Thanks Mate,
            Alan
            Alan J. Levi
            Director

Comment

Hi Alan

can I see a screenshot of your timeline and sequence settings, channel map
              Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

and I have bad news for you, the EDIUS disk burner can only do 5.1 (6 channel)
                Anton Strauss

Comment

Anton - just got home (12:15AM Los Angeles time) from a Toto concert. If you know them, Steve Lukather is my brother-in-law, and it was a grand night! Super concert.

Will send you the screenshots tomorrow.

Alan
                  Alan J. Levi
                  Director

Comment

Alan, line me up some tickets if they come to Orlando :)
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com
                    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I'll check their schedule, Jerry!

Anton - sorry for the delay. I've had to re-color-correct my pilot for a theatrical preview. Not the same as a "TV" version.

But no matter what I've done - I cannot get the center channel to carry the dialogue (on the AV, A1,A2 tracks). As requested, here are the two screenshots you wanted to see. Any help would be more than appreciated.

Alan
                      Attached Files
                      Alan J. Levi
                      Director

Comment

Andrew......

Andrew - many thanks for reminding me about that post. I had forgotten. Basically, now, I do understand how EDIUS (7.1) maps to the center channel, and sends the music and effects to L & R channels. However, I'm not clear on how I monitor (visually) which A channels will go to the center speaker. The example showed that A1 & A2 went to L&R, and A3 to center, etc. But I have 3 audio tracks (6 channels since at the moment they are stereo tracks) that are dialogue. How do I see that those 6 tracks (after I separate them into Mono tracks) will ALL go to center channel?

WHOAA HORSE! Andrew, how blocked my thinking must be. Got it! Tracks can be sent to ANY channel - I should have put 2 & 2 together. No sleep has taken it's toll. Many, many thanks.

Again, thanks for refreshing my "gray matter".
                        Best,
                        Alan
                        Last edited by AJL14; 08-10-2014, 09:40 PM.
                        Alan J. Levi
                        Director

Comment

You're absolutely correct! Thanks again.
                          Alan
                          Alan J. Levi
                          Director

Comment

Alan.

Are you aware that Edius does not do surround panning?

The multichannel routing is only really useful if you are using a 6 channel stem mix. In which case Edius will encode an AC3 surround matrix from a pre mixed surround mix.

Cheers,
                            Dave.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
                              I'll check their schedule, Jerry!

Anton - sorry for the delay. I've had to re-color-correct my pilot for a theatrical preview. Not the same as a "TV" version.

But no matter what I've done - I cannot get the center channel to carry the dialogue (on the AV, A1,A2 tracks). As requested, here are the two screenshots you wanted to see. Any help would be more than appreciated.

Alan
                              Hi Alan

your channel map is only using channel1 and 2, you need to create a mono stairstep using 6 channels because the EDIUS diskburner can only do 5.1 surround
                              http://www.videoproductions.com.au/e...1-surround.mp4
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X