Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on upgrading PC

Hi all,

I'm about to build a new PC (fairly low budget at about £500 max.), and I'm wondering if any of you've got any thought on the whole Intel vs. AMD processor thing.

I was thinking of going with a dual core, and from what I've seen I can get a higher clock speed AMD processor for the same price as a lower clock speed Intel processor. Although I've noticed that the Intel ones usually have higher caches. In terms of video editing with a program like Edius does the cache really matter that much?

Also can anyone recommend a clock speed that I should go for, bearing in mind that I don't really do much HD editing?

Thanks for all your help!

./Joel

Get the cheapest Intel Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2 System with dedicated video card (not onboard video). This will provide excellent RT performance with SD/DV editing.

...Angelo
    Canopus/GV: DVStorm2 w/component-out board, ADVC300, Edius 4.61, ProCoder 3.05, Imaginate2
    System: MSI B75A-G43 (v2.0), i7-3770K, 4GB, HD6850, Pyro1394 pci-e, 6 Disks 2.4TB non-raid, Win7-32bit, Dell 24" & 19" LCD

Comment

Thanks for the advice... Any particular reason why I should get a Core2Duo as opposed to an AMD X2?

Also can you recommend any particular graphics card?

Thanks

./Joel

Comment

Core 2 Duo is a much better processor than any AMD processor on the market. Don't look at the clock speeds that much. Intel's processors are faster, require less cooling, eat less power.

After November 20th, the new Penryn 45nm processors are going to be released by Intel. Maybe a bit later... You might want to wait if you can because the price drops on the older Quad Core/Dual Core processors are inevitable, or you might even get the newer one for the same price as the recent ones...check out the price list for the new processors. Notice the FSB and L2 cache! Me = furious that I didn't wait for the new Mac Pro's hehe. Oh well. Xeon's are a different story, but similar.

As far as the graphics card, do you need Xplode Pro compatibility? If not, take a look at the nVidia 8800GTS. They're floating around in the $250~ range.

Comment

best motherboard at the best price for the job

i am about to do the same and build a new edit pc. I will use the Core 2 Duo but want a motherboard that will be compatible with the NX cards. I hope to get one next year so i want to make my pc ready for that.

What is the best motherboard at the best price for the job.. I don't want to spend more than £100
          Sarah Staar
          Free Internet Marketing Training Videos
          http://www.sarahstaar.com

Comment

sarahstaar

Take a look at the ASUS P5K series of MOBOS and the GV website will be showing a host of newly tested components in the near future - SO I was told by GV UK only a week or two ago.......

Cath
            Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
            Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

The Asus P5K series and the Gigabyte GA series seem to be the most used boards by many of the EDIUS owners. Scan the Forum entries and many of the posts have signatures which specify their hardware. Take note of the most experienced guys. And we do have a couple of MAC diehards who swear by their Mac Pro setups. I don't blame them, either - but it seems to take a real expert to set those babies up!

Good luck,
              Alan

PS - Asus 5PK Delux coming to my new system soon!
              Alan J. Levi
              Director

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller

Comment

Originally posted by Imagine Video View Post
                sarahstaar

Take a look at the ASUS P5K series of MOBOS and the GV website will be showing a host of newly tested components in the near future - SO I was told by GV UK only a week or two ago.......

Cath
                Where on the GV website do I go to check for compatible hardware? Or do I go to Canopus site?

Thanks,

Luby

Comment

here

http://www.canopus.com/support/hardw...patibility.php

But its a little out of date still I think...........Many of the ASUS boards are not available from many suppliers here in the uk - they post OUT OF STOCK and no order details.

Check out your local retailers websites and compare the current models with whats on the list.

Cath
                  Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
                  Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

History will show that the compatibility list has never been the most up to date piece of work. I would not place too much faith on it.

Comment

There will be new information posted in the next few weeks.

Comment

I am also upgrading - or rather starting from scratch on a new PC to run Edius for HD editing. My previous work has been in DV so slight daunted by the HD format and processor requirements.

I am in the Uk and have a friend in the states who is going to purchase the 'bits' for me so I can take advantage of the currency advantage. Its been a long time since I have had to buy computer parts and the whole language has changed!

Can any advise me of a reasonable spec to aim for for full HD editing with in mind real time effects I would wish to run from within Edius?

For example, is Quad processors an advantage, what mimimum ram should I aim for, and do i need anything special in the graphics video cards?

Many thanks in advance.

Vobes

Comment

Before you buy from the US give Digital Village a ring, Southampton branch and ask to speak to Richard Bottom, he's their Edius system fella. He's built two systems for me for HD editing and two further ones for people I put in touch with him.
                          He knows his stuff, and the systems were cheaper than if I'd built them myself.
                          System 1 - Win7 64/Edius 5.51/Asus P8/8Gb RAM/RAID0/i7 2600K OC/nVidia Quadra 600
                          System 2 - Win XP/Edius v4.61/Asus P5 DH Deluxe/4Gb RAM/RAID0/Quad Core 2.4Ghz Q6600/nVidia 9800GT 512Mb/NXHD + other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Stereodesign View Post
                            Before you buy from the US give Digital Village a ring, Southampton branch and ask to speak to Richard Bottom, he's their Edius system fella. He's built two systems for me for HD editing and two further ones for people I put in touch with him.
                            He knows his stuff, and the systems were cheaper than if I'd built them myself.
                            I will surely do that! Thanks.

Vobes

Comment

Working...
                            X