capture settings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bdepace

capture settings

I am pretty new to this but here's my question- I need to know what settings to use to capture my home video's. I have about 40 hour long tapes (ntsc standard DV) that I want to capture and put on a hard drive for archiving and editing. What file format would I want to capture them so that I would have high quality and the files would be compatible in the future even if I wasn't still using a Canopus product. Any idea how large one hours file would be?

Thanks for your help!
  • GrassValley_KH
    Mr Sparkle
    • Apr 2007

For maximum compatibility, capture as Microsoft DV (there is a tradeoff in quality vs. capturing with Canopus DV, but your footage will go places where Canopus DV sometimes can't).

DV is approx. 12GB per hour. So 40 hours is roughly 480GB - nearly half a terabyte!

Comment

• Aristotelis
      • May 2007

(there is a tradeoff in quality vs. capturing with Canopus DV
      Kenneally I'm still confused with that...Can you please explain...I have read that the only difference between Microsft DV and Canopus DV is just headers and footers...
      Aristotelis Bafaloukos
      Systems Engineer, Video Editor, 3D Artist
      BEng (Hons), MSc, MBCS

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Comment

• Imagine Video
        • Sep 2007

Aristotelis The quality of the CODEC used by Canopus is superior to the quality of the msdv codec itself

This is evident when files captured using msdvavi and then encoded to meg 2 files for dvd authoring

If

You capture to the Canopus dvavi then do the same the end product will be sharper and seems to have less motion artifacts / jagged edges - you can see this on larger TV's

If you have the means capture and edit in the canopus file format for your tv system - ntsc in your case.
        Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
        Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
          Mr Sparkle
          • Apr 2007

Actually yes, my mistake - I was getting my YUV/RGB argument confused with storage format. That's more to do with what gets done to the footage within an NLE. Not the codec format.

As it is these days, there is little difference in the two for capture and archival. It's all about the editing and processing.

Comment

• bdepace

so microsoftDV is the way to go? Since I am using eidus to edit with for now, will the process be any slower with the MSDV format? What format should I output my final movie again to be compatible in the future?

Thanks.

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
              Mr Sparkle
              • Apr 2007

Processing will be the same essentially, since the data rate is still the same (DV).

I only suggested MSDV since you said you wanted to include the possibility of not using a GV/Canopus solution in the future. Using MSDV ensures this.

Comment

• bdepace

I realize this sounds absurd, but can you please walk me through the process? I assume I capture in edius with NHX-E1 SD NTSC for the project setting. I select with the capture pulldown the right input NHX-E1 DV. Where is the capture settings to select microsoft DV?

Comment

• antonsvideo
                  • May 2007

Edius can't capture Microsoft DV, you need to use optional software such as Scenalyzer (not free) or DVCapture (free from canopus.com registered user download area)
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 64GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• STORMDAVE
                    • May 2007

Also DVCapture will only work with Windows XP. SCLive is essential for DV, I highly recommend it.

Comment

• SRsupport
                      Grass Cutter Gold
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by antonsvideo
                      Edius can't capture Microsoft DV, )
                      It can be done in EDIUS
                      Last edited by SRsupport; 11-27-2007, 01:37 PM.
                      Steve
                      EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
                      A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                      For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

• bdepace

I know I'm killing you but... I captured some footage using "DV Capture" and when I try to view it in Windows Media Player it says i'm missing a codec. I also tried to edit with it in premiere and Edius with the same error. Any ideas?

Comment

• SRsupport
                          Grass Cutter Gold
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by STORMDAVE
                          Also DVCapture will only work with Windows XP. .
                          Works in Vista too if you have EDIUS installed and your dongle plugged in. :)
                          Last edited by SRsupport; 11-27-2007, 03:22 PM.
                          Steve
                          A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                          For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

• SRsupport
                            Grass Cutter Gold
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by bdepace
                            I know I'm killing you but... I captured some footage using "DV Capture" and when I try to view it in Windows Media Player it says i'm missing a codec. I also tried to edit with it in premiere and Edius with the same error. Any ideas?
                            Why not capture in EDIUS? (save dialogue)
                            Attached Files
                            Steve
                            A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

• bdepace

I guess I can. I was hoping to capture all of my tapes for future use and I'm not sure I will always have access to a canopus/GV editor. Are you suggesting capturing in Edius with Microsoft DV capture setting? If so, how do I find that?

Comment

Working...