Importing XF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing XF files

Hi- I'm having a problem importing XF files, and hoping there's a way around it.
    I tried to import initially from an XF100 connected via usb.
    Edius 7 recognised the files in source browser, after a while (there's over 50GB and 360 shots!) but when I used 'select all' and 'add to bin and transfer' it just didn't seem to do anything. And if I so much as touched the mouse, Edius stopped responding.
    After several attempts, I gave up and simply copied all the files to the hard-drive. That too took a while ... and when I took a look, it was apparent the folder structure wasn't the best solution for import.
    I tried again with the camera, and managed to get the first 10 clips to transfer. But when I tried this again, another crash. And the camera had to go with its owner ...
    So now I have 360+ clips it looks like I could have to import one by one?
    Any ideas? Any tips for next time?
    Cheers- Rob
    (PS- hubris too, because I might have slightly boasted about the stability of edius and its ability to handle the files (which it does- when I get them imported ok.) Smugness is its own enemy! :))
    Update: have sorted it this time by searching the main folder for *.mxf and then moving all the clips to another folder, so at least I can import them in one go. Mostly short clips, so hopefully not too many joining problems, but hoping to do this the right way next time.
    Last edited by rob stowell; 01-27-2014, 11:36 PM.
    Work: Edius 7.20.437 on HP Z220 workstation; Edius 6.08 on i7 running Win 7 64 bit 6 GB RAM. Neo 2.0 on a Lenovo T61. JVC GY-HD201 and GY-HD110.
    Home: Canon HV20 and Panasonic GH1 (hacked); Neo 3.01 on HP elitebook 8440p i7 and Neo 1 on homemade dualcore desktop.

First, when you copied them all did you look at the small blue headed folder in the bottom right corner of the timeline and see the number beside it growing larger as it "looked" at the files?

Second, when you copied the files to the hard drive, did you copy the entire folder structure from the card?
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Edius took quite a while to read the card- but it did finish doing that. (several times, a few re-starts ... Then I tried selecting all, and 'add to bin and transfer'. That's when it seemed to just sit there, and if I touched anything, stopped responding.
      On about the fourth attempt (and after I'd copied the whole CF card, in its original structure, using explorer) I tried one line of ten clips- and that transferred ok. The next time I tried two lines, twenty clips, and it stopped responding again, and at that point the camera had to go.
      Edius doesn't appear to recognise the files on the HD in the source browser. Is there a way to make it?
      Work: Edius 7.20.437 on HP Z220 workstation; Edius 6.08 on i7 running Win 7 64 bit 6 GB RAM. Neo 2.0 on a Lenovo T61. JVC GY-HD201 and GY-HD110.
      Home: Canon HV20 and Panasonic GH1 (hacked); Neo 3.01 on HP elitebook 8440p i7 and Neo 1 on homemade dualcore desktop.

Comment

Rob
        Edius 6 is only 32 bit, MAX files to select is 49! don't know why but is was on my old machine
        Same problem when using AVCHD2HQ.exe with Edius 6 so if you want to import large numbers of files update to 7 and it will work

Barry
        Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
        GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
        Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
        Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Thanks Barry. This was on Edius 7 - new machine and E7 this year. Will change my profile RIGHT NOW :)

Comment

Rob
            What I have done is drag the files using explorer over to AVCHD2HQ and off it goes, as I almost always use HQ avi files for editing this has worked when I had the privelidge to use some files from a XF100 from one of our club members, needed to convert them so he could use them on his iMac / iMovie
            I have had problems with other cameras with the importer in Edius so gave it away, also it renames the files which I did not like while HQ has the same filename, makes it easier to find the original if work outside Edius is required
            If it seems I may need the original files I copy them as well and delete as soon as I am sure nothing else is required
            I use "Respeedr" for slow mo / Timelapse and it will only work with mpeg type files, have not tried it with xmf yet as I don't have an XF100 or its likes yet

Barry
            Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
            GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
            Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
            Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

IIRC, the structure has a Contents folder. Try going to Source Browser, right click on XF, choose Open Folder and then navigate to WHATEVER IS ABOVE THE CONTENTS FOLDER on your hard drive. See if they pics show up after you click on that new subfolder under XF.
              1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Originally posted by rob stowell View Post
                Edius took quite a while to read the card- but it did finish doing that. (several times, a few re-starts ... Then I tried selecting all, and 'add to bin and transfer'. That's when it seemed to just sit there, and if I touched anything, stopped responding.
                On about the fourth attempt (and after I'd copied the whole CF card, in its original structure, using explorer) I tried one line of ten clips- and that transferred ok. The next time I tried two lines, twenty clips, and it stopped responding again, and at that point the camera had to go.
                Edius doesn't appear to recognise the files on the HD in the source browser. Is there a way to make it?
                I bet your problem is a setting problem

you must tick that waveforms are generated in the project folder (user settings, application, other), otherwise it will start generating them on the card as soon as you select the card in the sourcebrowser and this is where things will come to a halt
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                  I bet your problem is a setting problem

you must tick that waveforms are generated in the project folder (user settings, application, other), otherwise it will start generating them on the card as soon as you select the card in the source browser and this is where things will come to a halt
                  My guess also for the original problem. Or if you had the card locked it would have been OK. But I highly suggest you have all of those boxes checked in the location Anton mentioned.

Comment

I've had no problem importing files from XF100 into edius using the source browser. Right click the XF folder in the source browser and open folder that contains the contents folder. Assuming you have the full card structure.

If you do have the folder, you have the option of downloading the free canon XF utility from their website (drivers and downloads section of xf100 page). You can set virtual media to the folder containing the contents folder. Then select the clips and under the edit tab select export to MXF. This will merge any files that span more than one .mxf file and save them to a location of your chosing. I've noticed no noticeable loss in quality and its a lot quicker than pulling everything out of the folder yourself. It also does this process faster than real time so it's not that time consuming.

Good luck.

Comment

We have always used the Canon XF utility as the previous post works fine. I have also seen Edius become unresponsive while copying from other card types... If you leave it it completes but if you try to fo anything else it crashes. This was mainly with Z68 systems.
                      Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
                      www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Thanks all!
                        I'm pretty sure Anton was on the mark for the original crashing. And keeping waveform files in the original folder is just good housekeeping for me- keeps them from turning up all over the place. This will be my new default for sure.
                        I did try the XF utility, but it wouldn't let me create a virtual folder- the 'create' button just stayed greyed out.
                        Didn't know about right-clicking XF in the source browser and using 'open folder'. That also works, but I wouldn't have guessed it needs to be the folder ABOVE the CONTENTS folder!
                        Anyway, I have the media, and I don't think there are any joins, so all good for the moment. (Quite impressed with the pics, from a small single-chip camera. First attempts at some colour and exposure correction, and the 50MBs 4:2:2 is remarkably flexible. At least for someone who is almost always working with 4:2:0 AVCHD or HDV. Over-exposed highlights on a face dialled back to a pleasing picture very nicely.)
                        Last edited by rob stowell; 01-28-2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

XF files

Hello Rob,
                          I've been absent for a while and I'm now back again. I have used Canon Utility to show all contents in the cf cards, of course you have to connect the computer and the camcorder. "Select all" and drop down the Edit tab, choose export MXF and save them some where as your choice. Open Edius, double click in the bin to import the saved MXF files. Then there you go. Try it buddy.

Windows 7 Ultimate, Edius Pro 7
                          Last edited by VANTRI; 08-16-2014, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X