Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Level Problems

Hi,
    The problem I have with the audio levels is that if I import a Music file, it is way to distorted at 100% so I need to take the levels down. But when I export the file is extremely quiet as a result.

I am newish to audio editing and am looking for tips and a better understand of how to import and have the right levels for both camera captured levels and imported songs.

I have my project settings at 48k but changed to 32k in an attempt to see any change which there was not.

How am I supposed to be importing the sound and what are good levels to be sitting at for normal levels outside of the computer?

Thanks,

D Stanley

Do you have any app that only take *:wav files ?, I run everything with wavelab, So if you have, run the audio with master ( peak ) vol at 0db, then should be fine
    A computer with a lot of stuff in it :)

Comment

Are you using Hardware or running OHCI? I ask because recently I have run into the problem of the audio being about 4-5 times hotter from Edius (using NX) than the same audio out of Edius.

However the audio meters aer accurate and so the audio level may be fine even if it is blowing out your speakers. I went into XP Sounds and found that the CD Line also controlled the audio from the Edius (NX). I had to lower the slider to about 20% (I usually keep these sliders around 100%) to make the audios even. This did NOT affect the meter levels at all...only the volume in Edius.

I think it is important to reiterate that if the meter levels are OK, than the export volume is probably good even if it sounds loud and distorted in Edius.

Comment

NX has an option (cable) to connect it direct to CD-In inside the PC.
        Wolfgang
        Edius 4.54/3.62
        NXe / RaptorRT2 max

Comment

Firstly,
          Thanks for your help so far it has goten me thinking on different areas but I have tried these things and it's not that.

The thing is, when I import anything generally, (but will use music "WAV" as an example) the levels are way to hot and meaning the normal peak is crushed down and cut off at the top creating distortion.

I would like to know if there are any settings that can change how audio is imported and what ways there are to change the levels. Also, what levels on the audio meter are other people striving for? 0? -6? -12?

If I drop the db down the distortion leaves because it can longer get to the peak that is cut at the top but even if I exported the same wav file out at 0db the audio levels is significantly less then the original file (when playing them in a separate audio program ie, itunes or wmp.

Thanks again for all your continued help.

D Stanley

PS, I am using DVStorm2 on edius pro 3.5
          Last edited by stanley; 10-18-2007, 02:55 AM. Reason: Forgot Hardware

Comment

it appears most audio ripped from an audio CD is too loud for Edius

I usually alt+click the first waveform node of the clip and drag to around 40 - 60%, this usually gets me to where I like to be at -6db (good for digital)

you can also drop the panpot filter and lower the volume

you can also open the audio mixer and set the current track to track mode and lower the volume (this affects all clips on the same track, so not recommended)

for analogue production, wave files can be +4db and higher

if you have Edius SP, then you can adjust the headroom of balanced audio to +20db and it will take a lot to distort

in any case, if you are making digital tapes or DVD, then -6db is a good level

ON THE OTHER HAND I would love to know why all audio that shows a decent waveform in Edius is way too loud and all good sounding non/distorted audio has a small waveform? does anyone at GV know the answer? (I am talking linear waveform and not log)
            Last edited by antonsvideo; 10-18-2007, 12:21 PM.
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Usaly i import in audio app and level it to -3 to -6 pending on type of music, then i import it to edius.
              Last edited by johannesj; 10-18-2007, 04:13 PM.
              JoiCam´s
              Edit station1: i7 6700K 4 ghz, 32gb ram, Edius 9 Workgroup, Davinci Resolve studio 16, 8GB GPU & Intensity Pro 4K
              2: 17" Laptop i7 w: Edius 9 Workgroup
              3: HPxw8600 dual 3ghz Xeon, STORM 3G, , Edius 7, 32 GB ram.
              4: Edius 7, Supermicro x7da8 dual 3ghz Xeon.
              Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
              Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
              And more

Comment

I'm having the same problem and I have lots of experience with audio. Is there a compression/expansion plugin for Edius? I produce a music show and deal with lots of audio levels. Lately fixing audio in Edius takes most of the edit time.

Henry J.
                Henry J.
                Canton OH
                www.hjptv.com

Edius SP Supermicro X7DAE-O Dual-Core Xeon Dual Intel Xeon 5160 1333MHz 3.0GHz CPUs 4GB RAM (4x1GB) ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB Video Card

Comment

I'm also having problems when I import a music file.

Tony
                  Tony

Asrock Z68 Extreme7 --i7-2700K --EDIUS 8.5WG--HDStorm+ --16GB Kingston HyperX--GTX 560Ti--AX850 PSU--MxM PCI-e Reader--Win 10 Pro 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by henryj View Post
                    I'm having the same problem and I have lots of experience with audio. Is there a compression/expansion plugin for Edius? I produce a music show and deal with lots of audio levels. Lately fixing audio in Edius takes most of the edit time.

Henry J.
                    There are few VST's out there that are stable enough within Edius.
                    I have, however, had great success with Classic Master Limiter. Definitely on my good list!

Rusty
                    Rusty Rogers | Films
                    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

I try to verify an audio level problem :
                      - I take a wav file reference : 1 Khz -6db in Sound Forge 8 : no problem , it displays : -6db
                      - I take the same file in Edius :
                      1. the VU/mixer and Vu/screen monitor (CTRL+G) , it's OK : -6db
                      2. but in the track waveform , the signal is + 8db over the red line, whereas it should be -6db under the red line. The variation is of + 14db !
                      And the speakers seems louder in Edius than in SF8.

How to explain that ?

Marc
                      System : W7 Ultimate - MB: Asus Z170 - I7 6700K - Ram 16 Go - SSD1 256 Go (OS/log) - SSD2 1To (rushes) - HDD 4To (save) - Nvidia Asus GTX970 - HDspark - Edius WG 9 - Vistitle 2.6 - Robuskey - Mercalli4 - Neat video - Ignite - Hitfilm4Pro - AV : Eset Nod32 - Others : Moniteur Sony 32-EX500 - Cam : Sony EX1-R - 2 x Sony PXW-X70 - 1 x Pana GH5
                      Edius in France

Comment

im getting the exact same problem and since i'm new to Edius i figured it was something I was doing wrong, has this always been this way ?? and there ever been a fix put out for it?

Comment

I've never had it near this bad. It seems it may always have been a bit loud, but what I have now is new. Audio has never been a strengrth of
                          Edius.

Comment

For some reason I am not having this problem, and am curious as to why you all are. I have not upgraded to the latest version of Edius. Could that be the reason? I rip wave files from CDs all the time. I do notice, however, that when I convert to AC Audio in DVDWS, the audio does seem hotter, but not unreasonably so.

Comment

Today, I've tried the same wave file (1000Hz/ -6db) in the "old" 4.24 and there : Vu and Mixer show +6db (and not -6db) and the sound is very loud.
                              The track waveform is like in 4.52 (+8db over the red line).
                              Thus , the 4.52 is better for VU+Mixer, but not for the track waveform.
                              Unless there exists a hidden parameter…

Marc
                              System : W7 Ultimate - MB: Asus Z170 - I7 6700K - Ram 16 Go - SSD1 256 Go (OS/log) - SSD2 1To (rushes) - HDD 4To (save) - Nvidia Asus GTX970 - HDspark - Edius WG 9 - Vistitle 2.6 - Robuskey - Mercalli4 - Neat video - Ignite - Hitfilm4Pro - AV : Eset Nod32 - Others : Moniteur Sony 32-EX500 - Cam : Sony EX1-R - 2 x Sony PXW-X70 - 1 x Pana GH5
                              Edius in France

Comment

Working...
                              X