Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drdimento
    • Dec 2007

Avchd issues

I recently switched over to file based cameras for video that use the AVCHD format (Canon 5dm2, 7d, hf g20, hf m40) and using a MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz with 8 GB men and an SSD with all video data on an external Thunderbolt SATA dock and having all kinds of issues. 1) with 3 cam multicam the SATA drive even though on Thunderbolt cannot keep up (dropped frames warning and RT warning) and 2) when converting the files to QT or MPEG2 using several different converters (Streamclip, Media Converter, ClipWrap, or Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) FCP7 will not recognize the files properly and will not multicam.

So . . . with that background . . can anyone tell me a suggestion of how to use Edius and get success?

I have Parrellels 7 and can of course get Edius IF it will work with the set up I have or if it will allow me to downsize the 1920x1080 HD material into 720x405 (16x9) for editing which of course are a lot smaller sized files than the AVCHD decompressed.

When i decompress the 3 very large files they are in the 115 Gb range and when resized via Wondershare they are almost 6 Gb for about 2.5 to 3.0 respectively.

Any who respond will be greatly appreciated by this feller with a LOT of material to edit in the next 30 days although I didn't think it was going to be such an issue.
    "What me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman .. after all, two wrongs don't make a right - BUT - three lefts do :-)

MacBook Pro (late 2011 8,2) 10.1, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 Gb 1600 DDR 3, 512 GB SSD, Mountain Lion with Parallels, External SATA HDD's on Thunderbolt, Final Cut Pro 7.

Canon 5DM2, 7D, HF G20 x 2, HF M40, with Beachtek Audio, Pro mixing, mics, both LED and Arri fresnel lighting, portable camera dolly, and camera jib.
  • LewS
    • Dec 2011

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the Edius forums. AFAIK, Edius only runs on a Mac with Bootcamp.

As far as working with AVCHD files from those cameras, you should be able to just drop them on the timeline and go. Also, if you are doing a lot of multicam, Edius, unlike Liquid, does not require that they all be the same format. They can be any mix of formats you like.

Why don't you load up bootcamp and Win 7 and download the trial version of Edius and give it a go for 30 days. The trial is the complete version.
    My System: Edius Workgroup 9.51 & 10.0, Intel I9-9900K 3.60GHz Liquid Cooling, MSI Z390-A PRO MB, 32-GB Mem, GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GPU, BM Intensity Pro 4K Card, Win 10 Pro

Comment

• drdimento
      • Dec 2007

THanks LewS and GREAT to see you are here also :-)

Originally posted by LewS
      ....AFAIK, Edius only runs on a Mac with Bootcamp.
      So it won't run under Parallels with Windows 7 or 8?

Originally posted by LewS
      ... As far as working with AVCHD files from those cameras, you should be able to just drop them on the timeline and go. Also, if you are doing a lot of multicam, Edius, unlike Liquid, does not require that they all be the same format. They can be any mix of formats you like.
      That is awesome. So, does one just import the "private" folder? And do you know if Edius will handle 3 multicam streams off a Thunderbolt mounted 2.5" SATA mounted drive? Also, can I set the timeline up different than the source material or is it best to ... edit source format > export source format > then compress externally (like with compressor or wondershare or the like?)
      "What me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman .. after all, two wrongs don't make a right - BUT - three lefts do :-)

MacBook Pro (late 2011 8,2) 10.1, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 Gb 1600 DDR 3, 512 GB SSD, Mountain Lion with Parallels, External SATA HDD's on Thunderbolt, Final Cut Pro 7.

Canon 5DM2, 7D, HF G20 x 2, HF M40, with Beachtek Audio, Pro mixing, mics, both LED and Arri fresnel lighting, portable camera dolly, and camera jib.

Comment

• Adbear
        • Nov 2010

I would have to say it depends on the speed of the actual drive. Just because it's connected via thunderbolt doesn't give any guarantee of actual speed
        DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

• GrassValley_PS
          • Oct 2009

Yes,it will run on Parallels, but not as well as Bootcamp.

You will see the card under Source Browser, which will show you the individual clips. You can import all or individual clips.

The3 Project Preset can be different from the Source material (we often have several types of formats on the same timeline).

I have not tried a Thunderbolt drive, but normally editing only 3 streams of clips should not be a problem
          1: Intel 13900K, Asus ROG Z790 Hero, G. Skill Trident Z5 6400 64G DDR5, Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce 4070Ti, WD SN850XNVMe 1T, 4T (2), Seagate IronWolf NAS 7200 14TB, Lian Li Galahad 360, Aja Kona 4, Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1600W

2: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

Comment

• drdimento
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Adbear
            I would have to say it depends on the speed of the actual drive. Just because it's connected via thunderbolt doesn't give any guarantee of actual speed
            Gotcha. The drive is a 2.5" SATA (Seagate GoFlex)...

DRIVE

And the dock is a Thunderbolt connection...

DOCK

Here's more info on the set up:

GoFlex

So I think the transfer speed would be limited by the slowest link and if my research is correct that would be the rate of the Seagate GoFlex drive which is 300 Mbs if i read the information correctly (at best 600 Mbs but I think maybe that spec isn't for 2.5" drives although it may be) Bare in mind that the drive mounts to the Thunderbolt cable via the dock which is a straight SATA connection as if it were mounted in a HD bay (because the TB will not slow it down)

And . . . my streams are 3 streams of AVCHD at 1920x1080 60i @ the 24mbs quality speed. (is that the same as data rate? . . If so then 3 x 24 mbs = less than a 100 mbs and thus should work right?)

Thoughts ??

Comment

• GrassValley_PS
              • Oct 2009

DL the trial and check it out.
              1: Intel 13900K, Asus ROG Z790 Hero, G. Skill Trident Z5 6400 64G DDR5, Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce 4070Ti, WD SN850XNVMe 1T, 4T (2), Seagate IronWolf NAS 7200 14TB, Lian Li Galahad 360, Aja Kona 4, Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1600W

2: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

Comment

• drdimento
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by GrassValley_PS
                DL the trial and check it out.
                Certainly will if it appears it "will" work . . however at the moment I only have Windows XP Pro and thus I would have to buy Windows 7 or 8 (any recommendations therein?)

Would love to know if running Windows 7 or 8 under "Parallels 7" or "Parallels 8" works fine? And/Or if anyone has used Thunderbolt and know how it has interfaced.

Great to hear these responses and I do appreciate all the help. A former Pinnacle then Avid then Pinnacle Liquid user, I sure liked how much simplier life was with tape on the edit side (Ha)

Comment

• Adbear
                  • Nov 2010

If that drive really is only running at 300Mb/s then it's very slow as that equates to 37.5 MBytes/s
                  DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K [email protected], Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB 5400RPM Video drives, external Blu-ray Optical

Comment

• drdimento
                    • Dec 2007

If that drive really is only running at 300Mb/s then it's very slow as that equates to 37.5 MBytes/s
                    Actually I'm not sure; cannot find any specs on it. Even the box has nothing on it regarding transfer rate and the inside manual has only illustrations of how to use the drive in the dock arrangements. The drive number is STBA1000104 if anyone else can find any information? Seagate's site only has size and dimensions, nothing about transfer rate.

Comment

• THoff
                      • May 2007

Forget the specs, run a benchmark on the drive to see what the actual throughput is that your setup can achieve. If the drive doesn't cut it, switching to Edius won't solve your problem.

Comment

• Adbear
                        • Nov 2010

It appears to max out around 100MB/s, but I assume that's at the beginning of the drive, so as it fills it will get slower. What you have to bear in mind that just sticking a thunderbolt controller on it doesn't make the internal drive faster.

Comment

• drdimento
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by THoff
                          Forget the specs, run a benchmark on the drive to see what the actual throughput is that your setup can achieve. If the drive doesn't cut it, switching to Edius won't solve your problem.
                          Is there an App that I can use to find that out? Or some process that will do the same?

. . What you have to bear in mind that just sticking a thunderbolt controller on it doesn't make the internal drive faster.
                          Yes sir. For sure the slow spot would be the SATA drive which I am having difficulties finding anything on it. As mentioned above sounds like it might be around 300Mbs ??

EDIT: From all that I can read and converse with a tech at MacSales, the 5400 rpm drives are limited to 75 MB/s while the 7200 rpm drives are 100 MB/s. Anyone know what the data transfer stream is on AVCHD at 17mbps or 24mbps @ 60i ?

EDIT 2: XBench test results are: Sequential - 74, 135, 96, 212 for 110 and Random 5, 56, 73, 139 for 18 respectively for uncached write, uncached write, uncached read, uncached read . . with the last column (guessing averages) at 45, 76, 28, 106 and .6, 18, .52, 25 respectively in MB/sec in alternating 4K and 256K blocks.
                          Last edited by drdimento; 08-02-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Jerry
                            • May 2007

This is a free hard drive speed test:
                            CNET Download provides free downloads for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices across all categories of software and apps, including security, utilities, games, video and browsers

It is not my favorite. But it will give you an idea of the disk speed. This program usually gives faster speed results than my Blackmagic speed test.
                            Jerry
                            Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Main System:: Azrock z690 Taichi, [email protected], 64gb ram, Lian Li Galahad 360mm in push pull, Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, 13 Lian Infinity fans, Win11 Pro , Corsair ATX 3.0 Gen 5 1200 watt PSU, Samsung 980 1tb boot NVME, 2-4TB Samsung 990 Pro's, 1TB Samsung SSD, 1-12TB Seagate Ironwolf, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black Edius X.

Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9.55, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

• drdimento
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Jerry
                              . . . hard drive speed test: . . .
                              OK I had already downloaded a freebie that was listed on several sites as a good one. Here are the results:

XBench test results are: Sequential - 74, 135, 96, 212 for 110 and Random 5, 56, 73, 139 for 18 respectively for uncached write, uncached write, uncached read, uncached read . . with the last column (guessing averages) at 45, 76, 28, 106 and .6, 18, .52, 25 respectively in MB/sec in alternating 4K and 256K blocks.

Thoughts anyone as to whether or not I'm dreaming to think this external is going to work? EDIT: Again, remember that I will be running Windows 7 or 8 under Parrellels 8 on a MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Quad Core i7 with 8 GB 1333 Hrz memory (soon to be 16 GB)

Also, since I filmed this all in the 17mbps mode (the second one down) does that mean that the stream is 17 megabits per second for the stream? If so, then am I right in assuming that the total stream throughput is 17 x 3 = 51 mbps and thus using the above numbers that the first set of numbers above (Sequential) say it WILL work but the second set (Random) say it WON'T which leads me to ask what is either set of numbers? . . and which matters?
                              Last edited by drdimento; 08-04-2013, 05:50 AM. Reason: Middle paragraph extended.

Comment

Working...