Does everything need to be rendered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does everything need to be rendered?

I'm just starting out with my first project in Edius, so it may be that I just don't have my file settings right, but does everything need to be rendered?

The timeline plays back real time, there are no effects applied - just straight to the timeline, but it appears to require rendering before exporting to tape (which I haven't quite figured out yet either).

Can I not bring material in via 1394 and send it right back out without rendering?

Thanks,

Doug Collins
    Asus P8Z77-V LE, Intel i7-3770 processor, 16GB ram, GTX 650 Ti PCIe graphics card, Storm 3G, Windows 7 Pro, Boris Red 2.1, Edius 6.08

If you're importing DV, into a DV project, and exporting to DV, you should not need to render as long as there are no filters/effects/titles/etc applied.

Likewise, if you're importing HDV, into an HDV project you should not need to render as long as there are no filters/effects/titles/etc applied.

However, if anything in the project settings do not match DV/HDV, then you'll have to render before exporting to DV/HDV.

So... what are your project settings?
    Last edited by GrassValley_BH; 05-31-2013, 11:53 PM. Reason: Forgot about TS Writer...

Comment

Hi Doug and congratulations on your first Edius project.

You are 100% correct in guessing DV I/O works via 1394, as long as you're working within a DV project.
      You should (as in may) be able to play the Timeline loaded with filters and output via 1394 without rendering on most modern PCs. If the Timeline stops or studders, recording via 1394 will not be possible. At that point you may need to render the sections that don't play properly.

To export, use File>Export>Print to Tape...

HDV is another animal. You must output a .mts (transport stream) file, then transfer via 1394 with the MPEG TS Writer utility to tape.
      Rusty Rogers | Films
      >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
      >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
      Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

I forgot about TS Writer... shows you how long it's been since I did anything HDV.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
          If you're importing DV, into a DV project, and exporting to DV, you should not need to render as long as there are no filters/effects/titles/etc applied.

Likewise, if you're importing HDV, into an HDV project, and exporting to HDV, you should not need to render as long as there are no filters/effects/titles/etc applied.

However, if anything in the project settings do not match DV/HDV, then you'll have to render before exporting to DV/HDV.

So... what are your project settings?
          Thanks Brandon,

My Project settings settings are currently at 1440x1080, 29.97, 1.3333, Upper Field, 8bit, Canopus HQ Fine.

At input, my device was set at Generic HDV, 1440x1080 59.94i, Canopus HQ.

The Device Output is confusing me because it does not have the Generic HDV setting, so I am forced to use Generic OHCI. The closest setting I can find is DVCPRO HD 1280x1080 59.94i.

This appears to be a mismatch, but I don't know what to do about it. Surely I should not have to set my input to something other than native?

Thanks for the help,

Doug Collins
          Asus P8Z77-V LE, Intel i7-3770 processor, 16GB ram, GTX 650 Ti PCIe graphics card, Storm 3G, Windows 7 Pro, Boris Red 2.1, Edius 6.08

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Hi Doug and congratulations on your first Edius project.

You are 100% correct in guessing DV I/O works via 1394, as long as you're working within a DV project.
            You should (as in may) be able to play the Timeline loaded with filters and output via 1394 without rendering on most modern PCs. If the Timeline stops or studders, recording via 1394 will not be possible. At that point you may need to render the sections that don't play properly.

To export, use File>Export>Print to Tape...

HDV is another animal. You must output a .mts (transport stream) file, then transfer via 1394 with the MPEG TS Writer utility to tape.
            Thanks Rusty,

So HDV does has to be rendered for output to tape. Pity.

No I do have a Storm 3G installed with I so far haven't used. Would I be guessing correctly that an output via Storm SDI would not have to be rendered?

Thanks,

Doug Collins

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
              I forgot about TS Writer... shows you how long it's been since I did anything HDV.
              Brandon,

I'm just curious. If you haven't been working with HDV, what format do you use? I am assuming your format would not need render for output?

Thanks,

Doug Collins

Comment

If you are wanting to write back to an HDV tape you have to:

1. Finish your project and export the file to a compliant format for writing back to an HDV tape product. I do not call this rendering. You are exporting a finished product. You shouldn't have to render during this process, unless, your system doesn't have enough cpu, memory, or graphic power.

HDV export1.png

2. After exporting your compliant file, you will need to import it into the MPEG TS Writer program.

HDV export 2.pngHDV export 3.png

Click the + symbol and that will allow you to import your finished project.
                The button that is circled at the bottom of the panel allows you to preview on your tape recording device...probably a camera....what you will see.
                When you have confirmation that you are getting signal, click the button to the left of the preview button and it will export your project.

Make sure your firewire is connected to your camera or deck prior to starting Edius.
                I still have HDV camcorders but I capture though Blackmagic Intensity Pro and Shuttle and get a 1920x1080 square pixel file. It makes it easier to work with other files.
                Last edited by Jerry; 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM.
                Jerry
                Six Gill DV
                www.sgdvtutorials.com
                If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                  If you are wanting to write back to an HDV tape you have to:

1. Finish your project and export the file to a compliant format for writing back to an HDV tape product. I do not call this rendering. You are exporting a finished product. You shouldn't have to render during this process, unless, your system doesn't have enough cpu, memory, or graphic power.

[ATTACH]9271[/ATTACH]

2. After exporting your compliant file, you will need to import it into the MPEG TS Writer program.

[ATTACH]9272[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9273[/ATTACH]

Click the + symbol and that will allow you to import your finished project.
                  The button that is circled at the bottom of the panel allows you to preview on your tape recording device...probably a camera....what you will see.
                  When you have confirmation that you are getting signal, click the button to the left of the preview button and it will export your project.

Make sure your firewire is connected to your camera or deck prior to starting Edius.
                  I still have HDV camcorders but I capture though Blackmagic Intensity Pro and Shuttle and get a 1920x1080 square pixel file. It makes it easier to work with other files.
                  That's an important point to make sure the camcorder is plugged in. I spent the longest time trying to figure out why no devices were showing.

Thanks very much for your help!

Doug Collins

Comment

Originally posted by dougcollins View Post
                    I'm just curious. If you haven't been working with HDV, what format do you use? I am assuming your format would not need render for output?
                    TBH, I don't output much - in fact, I mainly use EDIUS when I need to fix broken videos at tradeshow setup, which luckily doesn't happen too often.

I do need to fix a video that my mom shot upside-down though...

Comment

Working...
                    X