Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 seconds to undo!

Hello everyone!

We're editing a huge project in Edius 4.24 (I think) and it is running painfully slow. The project is about 60 hours of HDV stored as m2t files on an external firewire 800 drive. The computer is an Asus P5W deluxe MB with a 6600 quad processor and two gigs of RAM. We are OHCI currently.

First off it takes approximately 10 minutes for the project to open. The bin window has around 1,000 items in it. But even worse is it take about 20 seconds to undo something. It is so painful to edit!

My questions are these: Can Edius just not handle really big projects? If I add the NX hardware will it help?

Thanks!
    Brad

I would hazard a guess that your problem is trying to edit mt2 files. They are notoriously hard on a process or to work with. That's why Edius (and FCP) suggest strongly to use files converted (to HQ on Edius and ProRez on FCP) so that they can be edited swiftly without the hiccups you are experiencing. You may have little choice but to convert your files to HQ. I think you'll find lots of discussion about this with a search of the forum.
    Documentaries and Art Projects
    Hudson Valley, NY

i7 8700K @ 3.70 Ghz/16 gb RAM
    windows 10
    284 gb SSD boot drive
    2 TB work disc
    2TB storage disc
    EDIUS 9.52.6031
    Many external project hard drives

Comment

I have a couple of 1394b drives that I need to unload. Microsoft has really put a damper on FW800 with SP2. A real shame. I only get 19mBs write and 39mBs read speeds (StormTest) and now my drives are worthless to capture HDV.

Your project sounds HUGE and needs help to be edited in a decent amount of time.

Batch Convert to HQ and copy to an internal RAID. External FW or USB just won't do it. Maybe external SATA RAID.

Your 6600 is just twiddling it's proverbial thumbs waiting on an outside bus. NX will not accelerate the effects, it just drives your external monitor with no lag.

So what are you waiting for??? Drop $2k on this monster and have it done by Monday!

Rusty
      Rusty Rogers | Films
      >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
      >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
      Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

There's a fix for that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222/en-us

Comment

My drive speeds are after installing 885222.
          After everything I've read MS still hobbles 1394b to 400mbs.

Kinda pathetic,
          Rusty
          Last edited by Rusty; 10-05-2007, 07:42 PM.
          Rusty Rogers | Films
          >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
          >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Comment

You don't have any non-1394b devices connected to the 1394b bus do you?

FireWire is repeater-based, so it'll throttle-down to the slowest connected device.

Comment

This weekend I going to install two 500GB sata drives and stripe them on the MB's Promise raid controller. Hopefully my external drive is the bottleneck here.

Thanks everyone!

Brad

Comment

Smokin!

Rusty
                Rusty Rogers | Films

Comment

Upgrading to 4.52 might help! I've had major slow undo issues before, but 4.52 seems to have "helped" a bit. I know you shouldn't upgrade during a middle of a project, but in this case, if you can make a backup copy of the .ezp file (zip it up and put it on a cd or something) then install 4.52 and try the same project, that'd be nice.

Comment

Dave, thanks for the tip. I have the complete project backed up to another external so I would feel safe trying. Thanks!

Brad

Comment

Dave, 4.52 did it! I installed two WD 500GB drives and striped them on Monday. That helped but it was still taking around 12 seconds to undo. Painful! We installed 4.52 today and now it takes a half second! Back to normal editing. Thanks everyone!

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by rokclimr View Post
                        Dave, 4.52 did it! I installed two WD 500GB drives and striped them on Monday. That helped but it was still taking around 12 seconds to undo. Painful! We installed 4.52 today and now it takes a half second! Back to normal editing. Thanks everyone!

Brad
                        Awesome! :)

Comment

Working...
                        X