X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nyatad
    replied
    Dear Ronnie,
    Many thanks for your detailed advices. Now I can summarize what I have collected as help on the forum:
    1- It seems that I am not alone and some other Edius users have been obliged to share between two computers, accessing to the Internet and working with Edius. Due to a lack of room, I have chosen a rack and two HDD. But it was already before posting any thread on the forum and I expected Edius to provide either a more technical solution or, at least a technical reason for its evident incompatibility with some antivirus software, or, also, a patch in the reference manual explaining this kind of limitation. Till now I never have read something from Edius.
    2- It can’t be said that it could come from a viral infection which prevents Edius BD creator to work, considering that, if the antivirus software is uninstalled (not only de-activated) BD CREATOR works again.
    3- I ignore if Edius 6.5 corrects the problem. What I have heard from the reseller is that it does not but it would have been interesting for me to be informed from Edius itself.
    At this point I close the subject considering that there is no more solution from forum members, whom I thank strongly for their help.

Leave a comment:

• RonnieMartin
    replied
    I have a laptop that I use when traveling and it has Edius 6.53 on it and is running without a problem. I mainly use the laptop to dump my SXS cards from my Sony EXDCAM cameras and to learn new versions of the Edius software. The laptop was an off the shelf HP from Best Buy and it came with WEB ROOT. It also is the last HP that has the card reader that works with my SXS cards. When I boot up the laptop, I disconnect the wireless connection and disable Web Root. Just right click the Web Root Icon and enter the code that is displayed. It only takes as few seconds so I cannot understand your threat to discontinue Edius recommendation.

When I was on 6.08, and was finished with any editing and then turned on Web Root, Web Root would think that the dongle had been a threat. However, a short scan would remove the footprint left by the dongle and all was well again.

My desktop editing stations are kept at least 6 feet from the Internet and have various versions of Edius. Everything that is transferred using a thumb drive is scanned first before removing it from the internet computer (or from a client) before inserting it into any workstation or laptop running Edius.

Once before, I took a thumb drive from a client and inserted it into a desktop and all of the networked machines were infected. It was a major problem with deadlines looming. Never again!!!!

If you are editing with a machine connected to the internet even with a compatible antivirus program, your chances of infection are increased.

Take care

Ronnie

Leave a comment:

• Thor
    replied
    A mobile rack for the system drive is an excellent workaround and a bargain solution for those who are limited to one workstation.

On the video editing C: drive, only video editing related software should be installed, and your internet cable should be unplugged with the network card disabled.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyatad View Post
    If no solution is provided from Edius, I will be obliged, and very sorry, to stop encouraging people I train for NLE video to use Edius rather than cheaper softwares which do not seem to meet problems with Internet access on the same computer.
    There are many people using Edius that have set up their anti-virus programs to work with Edius. Why you can't, I don't know. Did you contact tech support?
    If you are relying on the forum for tech support that is your mistake.

Threatening to leave and choosing not to refer anyone else to Edius does absolutely nothing for your credibility.

Leave a comment:

• Nyatad
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    But you state that you have Diskeeper and Mcaffe. Uninstall both of these and see if the disc burner program works.

Have you tried this at all?
    Of course ! It is what I explained in the initial description of my problem and it was the way which allowed me to localize the faulty softwares.
    At this point I understand that the real and effective compatibility problem I have raised will not be solved by any of the three companies for likely financial reasons.
    Naturally I have temporary (and for good I am afraid) solved the problem by managing two HDD: one for Internet access and another without the two softwares which stop Edius BD creator running.
    If no solution is provided from Edius, I will be obliged, and very sorry, to stop encouraging people I train for NLE video to use Edius rather than cheaper softwares which do not seem to meet problems with Internet access on the same computer.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    That is where the second computer comes in. You do all of your downloads and virus checks on files on your non-editing system.

Leave a comment:

• Adbear
    replied
    Whilst having it disconnected form the net will stop most virus/malware problems it doesn't stop all of them. I had a customer earlier this week who got a virus from files a customer supplied to him.

Leave a comment:

• Thor
    replied
    I agree with Jerry. If you can afford it, a dedicated workstation is always best.

Mine are COMPLETELY disconnected from the internet, no virus software, only video editing-related software, etc.

Once set-up, you never have to worry about most problems that occur in all-in-one computers.

Of course, when there is a rare problem, it is usually due to my own stupidity!

Leave a comment:

• Adbear
    replied
    As I said earlier, Edius Blu-ray burning works fine with Microsoft Security Essentials, just get hold of version 2 instead of the latest version 4. I install it on all our customers systems with no issues.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    If you are surfing and downloading a lot, you should build a dedicated machine for that and leave your editing machine out of the mix.
    A core 2 duo/quad system can be built for practically nothing. I would look into that option.
    I don't consider it an issue. If you have used exceptions within the anti-virus program, it should work. If it doesn't, then remove the program and find one that does. I would do a search for that on the forum. There have been many antivirus suggestions mentioned on the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Nyatad
    replied
    Originally posted by trillium View Post
    So far I have had no problem with the free version of Avira anti-virus. However, I often disconnect from the web and turn off anti-virus during blu-ray burns.
    Thank you for this advice.
    I tried another antivirus: F-Secure with the same problem.
    I will consider to change my antivirus for AVIRA at the expiration time of my present contract with McAfee and, of course, uninstall definitely Diskeeper who has been questionned but, till now, is unable to propose any solution.
    So, avoid to install Diskeeper !!!

Leave a comment:

• Nyatad
    replied
    Yes ,of course. I am absolutely sure that the problem remains between either McAfee or Diskeeper, and Edius. If both Diskeeper and McAfee are uninstalled, DVD creator in BD menu mode works again. It fails as soon as I reinstall either of these two softwares and only them.
    Of course I can operate, but it is very worrying to have to uninstall antivirus software every time I want to burn a bluray.
    On the other hand, and for the first time with Canopus or Edius products, I am not ready to upgrade my 6.08 version to 6.5 because I have been told by the reseller that the same problem exists with 6.5

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyatad View Post
    But I do not use Microsoft security essential which is, of course, not installed on my computer.
    But you state that you have Diskeeper and Mcaffe. Uninstall both of these and see if the disc burner program works.

Have you tried this at all?

Leave a comment:

• trillium
    replied
    So far I have had no problem with the free version of Avira anti-virus. However, I often disconnect from the web and turn off anti-virus during blu-ray burns.

Leave a comment:

• Nyatad
    replied
    But I do not use Microsoft security essential which is, of course, not installed on my computer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X