What is Sync Mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Sync Mode?

I've been reading some threads about this button and still don't know what its used for. Why would you ever want to turn it off? In 4.5 I believe it defaults to "off" suggesting that most of the time you'll want it off. The opposite appears more likely. I've seen this mess up new users in a hurry.

Any examples of why you would want this off? I have 50 edius users I'm trying to explain this to.

Confused,

jim
    Vista 64 * Asus P6* Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz CPU * 12 gigs Corsair * Nvidia GTX 275 * WD 150 gig 10,000 rpm System drive * (2) Hitachi 750 gig Video drives * (2) WD 1 TB Video drives * HD Spark * Edius 6.02, Imaginate, Adobe AE, Photoshop, Illustrator

it is easy to explain!

1. add two clips to VA1 and another to VA2 above and another to VA3 above etc

now hold shift+alt and drag the first clip on VA1, all other clips on the other tracks to the right of the one being dragged will move along when sync mode is on

2. turn off sync mode

3. now hold shift+alt and drag the first clip on VA1, all clips on VA1 will move along but clips on other tracks stay in place

sync on mode is used more often than sync off mode

the same applies to Alt+N and Alt+M

the same applies to any trim operation
    Last edited by antonsvideo; 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM.
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I'd first talk about the location of the Sync Mode toggles. (Timeline pull-down and menu)

Although I work with Sync Mode Off probably <1% of my day, it is no less important. Many functions (like inserting transitions without clip extension on) are restricted when synced with other tracks.

IMO Sync Mode would be far less confusing if the button were not concealed as it currently is. Awareness of which mode you're in directly corresponds to the number of times you must hit Undo.

Rusty
      Rusty Rogers | Films
      >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
      >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
      Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        IMO Sync Mode would be far less confusing if the button were not concealed as it currently is. Awareness of which mode you're in directly corresponds to the number of times you must hit Undo.
        Well said Rusty
        Andrew Pinder
        www.chpv.co.uk
        Edius 9 with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k; Windows 10 (64 bit Pro); Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro; i9-9900K CPU; 32GB RAM;
        Asus GTX1060 graphics; RME Fireface800 audio; SATA RAID

Comment

Nice example Anton. Shift-Alt is perfect for moving large chunks of clips quickly and together in sync.

Agree with Rusty. Should be a timeline button option.

Choose wisely.

jim
          Vista 64 * Asus P6* Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz CPU * 12 gigs Corsair * Nvidia GTX 275 * WD 150 gig 10,000 rpm System drive * (2) Hitachi 750 gig Video drives * (2) WD 1 TB Video drives * HD Spark * Edius 6.02, Imaginate, Adobe AE, Photoshop, Illustrator

Comment

Working...
          X