Scrolling/moving/panning the timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrolling/moving/panning the timeline

I have found/developed a simple method of moving or panning the timeline in Edius 6.08 - even with one mouse and one keyboard controlling two computers and multiple screens (which are connected via Synergy).

I use a Logitech Gaming Mouse (G700) but this should work with any programmable pointing device.

I lay the following macro on a mouse button of my choice: ALT - rightMouseButton (this translates into the following actions: It keeps the ALT button and the right mouse button down).

In EDIUS, you just hold down your mouse button (with the macro on it) and the cursor becomes a hand - and with this you move the timeline left or right. As soon as you let go of the programmed mouse button, the hand becomes a cursor again.

You can, of course, achieve the same feat by just holding down ALT and the right mouse button in Edius and then move the TL with the mouse.

Have fun with a much faster workflow! Peter

I have various Logitech mice which can be programmed with the setpoint software, however, Alt+right click is not a programming option

what software are you using for the programming?
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

In the Setpoint Macro Manager make sure you activate "Record Keyboard" AND "Record Mouse". Then Start Recording, Press Alt and the RMB. Then Stop Recording, go into the Events/Editor window and delete everything except the first 2 items (which are: ALT and RIGHT BUTTON DOWN). Save and assign it to a mouse button (preferably one on top of the mouse, that makes it easer to move the TL - you´ll see ...) Cheers, Peter

Comment

I have never used the Setpoint software however I do something very similar. I have the middle wheel button set to ALT, so I just depress the wheel with my forefinger and then a millisecond later I depress the right mouse click as I normally would. This serves the same purpose as your method, which I love because it makes scrolling so quick and easy because you don't even have to take your eyes off the timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by BillShedoudy View Post
          I have never used the Setpoint software however I do something very similar. I have the middle wheel button set to ALT, so I just depress the wheel with my forefinger and then a millisecond later I depress the right mouse click as I normally would. This serves the same purpose as your method, which I love because it makes scrolling so quick and easy because you don't even have to take your eyes off the timeline.
          I already tried that but this is very uncomfortable to push the middle button and right button
          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Pan View Post
            In the Setpoint Macro Manager make sure you activate "Record Keyboard" AND "Record Mouse". Then Start Recording, Press Alt and the RMB. Then Stop Recording, go into the Events/Editor window and delete everything except the first 2 items (which are: ALT and RIGHT BUTTON DOWN). Save and assign it to a mouse button (preferably one on top of the mouse, that makes it easer to move the TL - you´ll see ...) Cheers, Peter
            hmm, my setpoint software did not come with a macro manager, maybe this is only available with gaming mice?
            Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
              I already tried that but this is very uncomfortable to push the middle button and right button
              You must have a different shaped mouse than the one I use, with mine it is super easy and comfortable. Or maybe I just gave myself a little time to adjust to it.

Comment

when my finger is on the middle scroll wheel and I push it down, the same finger partially covers the right click button, the problem is called big fingers :)

the best option was in Speed Razor, you could right click timeline in blank space and drag

the same is possible in EDIUS but my feature request for this was turned down (they do not want to copy methods from others, but Speed Razor is long dead)
                Anton Strauss

Comment

Oh man, I hear ya Anton. I was a long-time Speed Razor fan myself. You hear the term "it was ahead of it's time" overused a lot. But SR really was. It could do so many things easier and faster a decade ago than most programs can do now. I miss a lot of things about it.

That is silly about the reason for turning down your feature request. When it comes to tech products, every company wants to think that they are the innovators but the truth is... if you don't copy, you die. One company simply cannot create EVERY cool feature, and you can't not include them because consumers demand them.
                  Not copy a long dead company???? When they did become so righteous?

Comment

Originally posted by BillShedoudy View Post
                    Oh man, I hear ya Anton. I was a long-time Speed Razor fan myself. You hear the term "it was ahead of it's time" overused a lot. But SR really was. It could do so many things easier and faster a decade ago than most programs can do now. I miss a lot of things about it.
                    I agree, especially the easy way to crossfade all selected audio clips even if on different tracks
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

Even though the company goes away, sometimes their patents still exist. Then you get trolled.

Comment

Working...
                      X