Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjsssss
    • May 2007

Big External RAID Setup for Edius

OK guys, I need some advice. I am going to buy a 2-3 T RAID storage/video setup. I need it to be external. I am looking for the fastest setup that will handle all of the 720p. I don't have to have something over a network at the moment but that is a future possibility. The main use right now is to be able to transport 1.5T of informatiion to a couple of computers in different locations to be worked on. Also is it fast enough to be able to edit from without too much editing, assumiong a fast computer. I have a few things in mind but would like some direct reports./

Theoretical advise is welcome, but I would really love to hear from anyone actually using something like this.

I am looking at the Buffalo
  • Bassman
    • May 2007

I don't know anything about this, but I clicked on the ad at the "creative cow" forum.

The HDpro system looks like a monster.

This type of storage will probably be in a lot of our futures.

I will keep an eye on this thread.
    Asus PrimeZ690A - Intel i9 13900K - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius X WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 11

Comment

• Andy
      • May 2007

the turnkey systems use HUGE Systems (now part of Ciprico) Ultra Scsi Media Vault Raid arrays .... thats none too portable though.

at the other end of the spectrum I've managed just fine using a 1TB G RAID from G-Technology (big at the time, but the come bigger than that now). Very reliable boxes with excellent customer support.

not used this, too darn new, but a new kid on the block that may be worth a look is the EditShare Field unit ... a big bad mini-SAN system in a rugged box
      EditShare builds collaborative storage, workflow and presentation solutions for creating media on-premise and in the cloud.

Comment

• Zorro
        • May 2007

Standalone unit:

Multiple client solution:

Comment

• STORMDAVE
          • May 2007

eSATA seems to be the best choice nowadays...a RAID box like CalDigit is great, although a bit expensive...you can build one yourself and save $$$$.

Comment

• Bassman
            • May 2007

Right now, I have the inexpensive option of a bunch of external SATA drive enclosures hooked up internally.

Works great for DV but I don't know what I need for HD editing.

The drives get in the mid-fifties in transfer rate, and I put one drive per camera used.

How fast does one need for say an XDCAM HD stream?
            Asus PrimeZ690A - Intel i9 13900K - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius X WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 11

Comment

• pjsssss
              • May 2007

Right now, I am looking at http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...ation-quattro/

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
                Demystifier/Analogizer
                • Apr 2007

For XDCAM HD I'd "safely" spec for 50 Mbps, which is easily met with everything modern (USB2, FireWire, SATA, Gigabit Ethernet).

Comment

• STORMDAVE
                  • May 2007

Pat, check these out. You can pop in your own drives and save money in the end. Maybe put in 4 750GB and RAID 1 them (Mirroring) or just RAID0 4 500 giggers or 750 giggers. I've seen Seagate 500GB's on sale at Best Buy, they're $89...great drives.

I've been eyeing this one for a while now...and these too.
                  Last edited by STORMDAVE; 09-24-2007, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Zorro
                    • May 2007

Pat, many reviews show that the Buffalo is not fast enough. If you're looking for a NAS with the option to integrate it into a network then this will be the box you're looking for:

Comment

• STORMDAVE
                      • May 2007

I don't think a NAS is worth it...he can always leave one PC on and share the eSATA RAID with other computers via gigabit. Even build a very cheap computer just for that.

I did so much research on the N5200, it turns out, the max you can get from that box is ~52MB/sec via Gigabit...even if you RAID0 all 5 drives.

With an eSATA RAID you can get upto 3.0Gbps (take a few off for overhead).

It is a nice unit for backup though...maybe as a house server or for only working with compressed HD and SD.

Comment

• johannesj
                        • May 2007

The N5200 has eSATA connector.
                        JoiCam´s
                        Edit station1: I7 14700k 128GB: Edius 11, Davinci Resolve, Pro Tools and some more tools.
                        2: 17” laptop: Edius 11
                        3: MacBook Pro: Davinci Resolve and Pro Tools.
                        4: coding Workstation dual 3ghz Xeon.
                        Audio: Protools & Nuendo,
                        Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk.
                        And more

Comment

• STORMDAVE
                          • May 2007

Its only for adding more drives, not a pc connection

Comment

• johannesj
                            • May 2007

I am sorry to hear that, looks grate but needs Sata to PC
                            JoiCam´s
                            Edit station1: I7 14700k 128GB: Edius 11, Davinci Resolve, Pro Tools and some more tools.
                            2: 17” laptop: Edius 11
                            3: MacBook Pro: Davinci Resolve and Pro Tools.
                            4: coding Workstation dual 3ghz Xeon.
                            Audio: Protools & Nuendo,
                            Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk.
                            And more

Comment

• muleferg
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by Andy

at the other end of the spectrum I've managed just fine using a 1TB G RAID from G-Technology (big at the time, but the come bigger than that now). Very reliable boxes with excellent customer support.
                              [url
                              http://www.4&Itemid=170[/url]
                              Thats what I use and have been pleased with it. \

Mule

Edius 4.51c
                              DVCProHD 1080P
                              EDIUS v5.51 Broadcast - Dual Xeon Supermicro X7DWA-N with E5450 3.0GHz CPU (8 cores)
                              4 GB Ram, 1.0 TB Video Raid (2x500). 5 ea 1.0 TB External Video. 2 500 gb Ext, 320 GB OS Drive .. ATI Radeon HD 4350 with 512 Ram XP Pro with SP 3 HD Sparks, VisTitle

Edius 6.52Dual Xeon Asus P5E3 9650 3.0 4G Ram
                              Nvidia9800, 500G Raid (2x250) 1TB&500TB Ext Drives

HPX 2000 AVC Intra, HVX 200, HPX 170, AG-AF 100, Canon D5 MKll.....MacBook G4 w/VMWare FCP Edius 6.2

Comment

Working...