No announcement yet.

Firewire capture, audio tracks transposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tested a capture from DVCAM where left channel is wireless on person talking and right channel is camera mic

the captured file plays correct in EDIUS and WMP

the only way I can get a wrong result is by swapping left and right speakers
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I concur. I did 10 test captures and all are perfect.
      Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
      EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
        I concur. I did 10 test captures and all are perfect.
        That's precisely why I'm sure that there's something wrong here — FireWire connections either work correctly or they don't!

Attached is the same camera footage, captured by FireWire in my 'other' system, and exported to .wmv. I've imported it into the EDIUS machine, and put it on a new timeline — it plays 'correctly' in both EDIUS and WMP. (The version captured in my new EDIUS system won't.)

I've been through everything I can find in the machine relating to audio, and can find nothing unexpected — this is, after all, a brand new system, in which (in theory) nothing has been 'tweaked'.

No... to me there is only one conclusion, and that is that SOMEHOW the FireWire capture on this machine is the wrong way round... impossible, I know, but nonethless what's happening. I need to find out how and why.

I shall go back to the supplier and ask him to think again. Thanks for the suggestions here.
        GRAEME ALDOUS
        Teeafit Sound & Vision
        Yorkshire

Comment

Does either Liquid or Edius allow remapping the IEEE-1394 HDV input stream audio channels; i.e., reverse channel 1 and channel 2, during capture?
          Any chance this is a wierd effect of Win 7 vs. leagacy driver?

Comment

I'm not aware of any IEEE-1394 remapping in 'the other editor' — it was never necessary. Equally, if it's possible in EDIUS, then I have no idea how... and as this was a new installation in a new machine, I have no thoughts on why it might have been done.

I've re-contacted the supplier to see if he has any ideas, based on the things we've discussed in this thread, and will report back.
            GRAEME ALDOUS
            Teeafit Sound & Vision
            Yorkshire

Comment

I might be on to something — the HDV (f2) capture preset.

I tried capturing the original tape from my spare Sony HVR HD1000E camera — no difference.

I cloned the section of tape from the Sony V1 into an SD version in my PD150 using a FireWire link... as it transferred the audio remained correct.

I then captured that into the same EDIUS project, using the DV 16:9 (f4) preset... it came in correctly, and stayed correct when I put it on the timeline with the others.

I confirmed that by going back to the V1 and forcing it to down-convert to DV, taking this in with the same (f4) preset. Again, it was correct.

I then took the original test footage, put it back in the V1, and captured it using the 'HDV - Capture as MPEG' (f3) preset. Again, this is fine in the bin and on the timeline, with the audio correctly positioned... the end result I wanted.

BUT... even weirder — although it captured alright, it monitored wrongly when being digitised. The f2 preset does this too, but it STAYS wrong. Let's not go any further there!

So does the problem somehow lie in the HD capture preset (f2)? Can it be changed? My supplier has subsequently said that he recommends the (f3) preset, which I'll use from now on (despite the apparent odd monitoring effect during capture).

I confirm that the whole project was made to the HD1080 (1920x1080 50i, 16:9 8bit) preset, and PAL.
              GRAEME ALDOUS
              Teeafit Sound & Vision
              Yorkshire

Comment

who made your capture device presets? did you make them or download them?

I never tried the downloaded ones, because it is rather quick to make one and it will be as you need
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Those presets are made and then assigned hot keys. Thus your Fx number really make no difference. It sounds like someone made an incorrect preset. Delete the bad one and make another one.
                  1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Ah — being new to EDIUS I wasn't aware that these presets (and their hot keys) didn't come bundled from Grass Valley.

I'll have another word with the supplier who made them up.
                    GRAEME ALDOUS
                    Teeafit Sound & Vision
                    Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                    X