Film Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
    There was a mention of 'tweak' to your liking :)
    The op was asking for examples and a ready made selection of filters is a good start me thinks.

As many suggestions in forums just read through what suits you and ignore the rest.

Anyway, film looks is a very personal thing, if my wedding was finished like that they wouldn't get payed but that's just my sentiments.
    Hey Tony

Certainly not questioning your helpful advice... forgive my dubious SOH and your pointing to Mathews tutorials is indeed great advice. As we should all know there is more to creating a look than a one off filter that can be slapped on every clip but it is good to have a base to work from.

Best
    Dave
    Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
    www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

I've been getting good results using a combo of the New Blue Color Fixer plus effect and the edius old movie filter. In Color Fixer, crank up the gamma, as well as the color saturation, and brightness to your taste, then in Old movie, basically unchecking everything but the edge darkening setting, though sometimes I use a slight flicker to make it a little more convincing in moving shots. The New Blue effect is really nice, but would recommend buying the GPU accelerated update to avoid stutter when previewing...

Comment

Originally posted by rando View Post
        but I wonder what camera they used.http://vimeo.com/35660071
        based on some yellowish skintones and aliasing I see that's dslr footage, probably 5dII with maybe a 7d type of camera as well
        Edius 6.52, I7 950, Asus P6X58D-E, 12gb memory, 2gb gtx460, win 7 pro 64bit

Comment

I think a filmlook starts with choosing the right camera, like the Bmc cinemacamera, then shoot in raw and grade accordingly. The cheapest way to get footage that resembles a cinemalook is to film with a Canon dslr, use the Technicolor CineStyle preset which gives you much more latitude and more possibilities to grade your footage. Only when shooting in that preset you need to be very carefull about exposure as it's easy to underexpose.
          Edius 6.52, I7 950, Asus P6X58D-E, 12gb memory, 2gb gtx460, win 7 pro 64bit

Comment

I understand this is apples to oranges to me in quality and price. This guy starts at 4X my price but I wonder what camera they used.

http://vimeo.com/35660071
            Rando. I know that guy and can tell you he is shooting with Canon DSLRs for his footage. He edits in FCP (or maybe FCPX now). That depth of field is from the DSLR and the nice glass he uses. Any colorization performed could easily be duplicated in Edius if a person knows what they are doing. Pretty sure he is shooting 24p. I can tell you some of the great looking footage that has that film like lighting and look is because he takes control a little more than many wedding folks. He doesn't run the day and call the shots but he will make sure prep stuff is done with lighting giving the nicest look possible instead of just walking in and shooting where ever they are setup. At the reception he has 2 50-100W lights up high on stands giving indirect light light that looks great at a reception. It's not super bright but with good glass just enough to give a great looking, filmic type of scene. Again it's about not always just taking what is there but instead trying to get the customer to realize they look better with better lighting and what bride doesn't want to look great in her video. If you are going to just walk into a prep room or situation and shoot what is happening you will seldom get that look. He will position them where lighting is best and they want him to do it.
            Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

Comment

I understand this is apples to oranges to me in quality and price. This guy starts at 4X my price but I wonder what camera they used.
              http://vimeo.com/35660071
              Yah, all dslr. (see 2:50) Cheap and easy to edit with Edius.

They're scary the first day out, but with practice it gets easier.
              I trust Magic Lantern to be a great aid with DSLRs.

I'd be mortified posting that video with the giant smear in the lower 10th of the screen! Yuck! Otherwise, this is a good target for your video "look".

Rent some great lenses and charge 3x your current rate.
              Rusty Rogers | Films
              >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
              >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
              Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Working...
              X