X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by merrick61 View Post
    Do you think Geforec 8600GTS would be fine also for those applications (Xplode etc)?

Merrick
    Not Xplode. ATI is much better if you really need XPlode. You can try to find an ATI X1950XT for a low price somewhere, these cards work with Xplode and are fast enough for Vitascene etc...they are not DirectX10 though, which doesn't mean much unless you're a gamer waiting for DX10 games (Only on Vista).

Leave a comment:

• merrick61
    replied
    Do you think Geforec 8600GTS would be fine also for those applications (Xplode etc)?

Merrick

Leave a comment:

• mike0130
    replied
    so the 6800 will work with Xplode's, Vitascene, Mercalli ?
    and which cheap card will work with Xplode's, Vitascene, Mercalli ?
    John
    Yes it will work. The only problem with RT for Xplode/Xplode Pro. It will need to render all Xplode effects-transtions. The problem is that all nVidia-based PCI Express cards do not have RT in Xplode. ATI ones- do have (with dll accelerator file)
    My Sapphire 1950 PRO 512mb works with all of them. Also X800- X850 will work, but for Vitascene the amount of video memory is important, so cards with 256mb will probably have less "realtiming".
    The new ATI 2400- 2600 cards are nice, but they have 128bit memory and I will not recommend them for videoediting.
    Again, if Xplode is not very important, or you do not use it a lot (and you're ok with rendering them), better go for nvidia cards. In this case 6800 is a perfect choice.

Leave a comment:

• johnvpr
    replied
    Originally posted by mike0130 View Post
    I am disagree. It's a way to spent more money and listen nice stories.
    6800 series card will be cheaper and better (if you're nVidia fan) But today ATI card like 1950 will meet all your needs with Edius, Xplode's, Vitascene, Mercalli and every other possible software combination. Boris Blue is exception. (if you want it badly- nVidia 7900-7950 (for ver 2.0), but you're loosing Xplode realtime... your choice!)
    Do not throw your money, save some for real things.
    so the 6800 will work with Xplode's, Vitascene, Mercalli ?

and which cheap card will work with Xplode's, Vitascene, Mercalli ?

John

Last edited by johnvpr; 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    If I lose capability of Xplode Pro, I wouldn't really care much...but it's pretty good for events...

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    EDIUS- no, it's not optimised for EDIUS- but who uses JUST EDIUS?

Exactly!

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    There is no such a thing as "grphic card driver instability"

OK OK, perhaps I should say something like. "The Quadro drivers have been optimised for specific applications like After Effects, Combustion, Lightwave, Cinema 4D, Brainstorm, Maya and many many more" In these professional compositing or 3D programs a Quadro is the better more stable option.

EDIUS- no, it's not optimised for EDIUS- but who uses JUST EDIUS?

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    When Edius goes to Vista, we will more than likely have to upgrade video cards for DirectX 10 anyway.
    I very much doubt that will be the case. (for EDIUS at least)

The current change to the overlay handling is a precursor to Vista support. (e.g. EDIUS Neo)

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    In some places in Europe, dealers still using old ATI X850 PE for Edius based computers as the best proven cards.
    By the way, I am agree that nVidia cards better a little, but I keep ATI for Xplode Pro realtiming only.

Thats great that you can still use the X850. However, stick 2 Apple 30" Cinema displays on that card and get back to me. At that point your card will not be able to handle dual dvi 2560x1600 resolution. And that my friend is where the money is going. The 1950 has dual dvi and 2560x1600 resolution,
    but as I said, it had an issue with my pci-x controller card.
    It does not on my other system with the Decklink Card.

I'm glad that you have not had instablilities with your ATI card. The X600-850's were good cards, on most systems. For that matter, my AGP 9800pro did better RT, on Xplode, than the 800 series or my 1500 or 1950.
    The 9800pro was using 2 19in 1440x900 analog displays.

Since I bought Xplode in 2002, and it has served it's purpose, other effects packages (with more usefull effects) , and larger monitors have come available. If Xplode was a major part of my every day work, I would be using
    the 850 as well. However, if it means a little RT versus a lot of desktop space, I'll take the desktop space.

When Edius goes to Vista, we will more than likely have to upgrade video cards for DirectX 10 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• mike0130
    replied
    There is no such a thing as "grphic card driver instability" I have X800, X850, X1950 and nVidia 7900- all of them working fine. You feel better with a stories of "instability"- it help you not to think that you spent for videocard amount of money that could help you with new computer...- fine.
    In some places in Europe, dealers still using old ATI X850 PE for Edius based computers as the best proven cards.
    By the way, I am agree that nVidia cards better a little, but I keep ATI for Xplode Pro realtiming only. When GV will come with replacement for Xplode (they will, because Xplode will not work with Vista), I will go for nVidia with pleasure. But I am not ready to spend thousands for the card, which do the same quality and speed as a $300 one. There are lot of overclocking sites with REAL information, because they are not involved in selling process.
    mike

Leave a comment:

• Blast1
    replied
    I ran across a article on using newer cards as Quadros, Unfortunately I've got my internet stuff spread across three systems due to some problems, when I get a chance I'll post anything relevent.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    I have an oldish ATI 9600XT on my Storm2 machine and I have never encountered any "instabilities".

Neither have I encountered any issues with the ATI X1900 in my Mac Pro (Not counting the beta of Bootcamp).

I remember back in the day you could take a GeForce 3 series card and flash it to a Quadro...because the boards were the same. Don't know if that is still the case.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    I am disagree. It's a way to spent more money and listen nice stories.
    I have Quadro FX3450. I can now tell those nice stories because I never have system instability. It's all in the drivers, it's like paying Nvidia more money to work harder for you- everyone knows the Quadro drivers are more stable under a broader range of programs than the GeForce cards...... no one ever says the opposite, they only kick their heels up and say they didn't need a Quadro. Fine then!

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    Originally posted by JimJulian View Post
    Hey Jerry...and everyone who responded,
    Thank you for the insight. Based on Jerry's response regarding "TV out" I'm leaning away from the fx1500 and towards an 8800GTS. I like some of the Explode Fx but most are pretty hoky for what I do. The Vistascene website shows 8000 series NVidia and FX 1500 as "predestinated to dramatically increase render speed in Vitascene to almost realtime." LOL...we'll see.

jim
    I'm faced with Vitascene issues and my guess it's related to the ATI X800XL and I would like to know how well the nVidia 8800GTS does with Vitascene. I have to agree having Vitascene in RT is more valuable than Xplode RT.

...Angelo

Leave a comment:

• JimJulian
    replied
    Hey Jerry...and everyone who responded,
    Thank you for the insight. Based on Jerry's response regarding "TV out" I'm leaning away from the fx1500 and towards an 8800GTS. I like some of the Explode Fx but most are pretty hoky for what I do. The Vistascene website shows 8000 series NVidia and FX 1500 as "predestinated to dramatically increase render speed in Vitascene to almost realtime." LOL...we'll see.

jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X