Compressing the export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressing the export

Hi, I am new to EDIUS and am tring to get used to it. I currently own the EDIUS NEO 3. I have a one hour video that I did, and it is about 955 MB is size. I need to get it to be at most half of that. I was told that this is done in the File to Export. I have to use the Print to File export option. I just don't see how I can compress the file from there. I know I will loose quality but I was told to do this.

Please help???

Thank you!!!

The file size is a function of the length of the video and the bitrate used to encode it. If you can't shorten the video you must reduce the bitrate. Which format are you exporting in?

Comment

File size is a determined by a combination of duration and bit rate. Required bit rate is in part determined by the output resolution, output file format, and required quality. One hour of video at under 500MB sounds about like a video CD or similar at best. (Not very high quality by today's standards.) In contract a one hour video on DVD at nea commercial quality requires over 3 GB.

So the bottom line is what are you trying to produce?

Comment

I was asked to minimize the size of a video so that it would fit on a hard drive that has many, many files. I was told not to worry about the quality. I need to produce an MPEG 2, Print to File.
        Last edited by GrassValley_KH; 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by axjzgs View Post
          I was asked to minimize the size of a video so that it would fit on a hard drive that has many, many files. I was told not to worry about the quality. I need to produce an MPEG 2, Print to File.
          what problem do you have with print to file, mpeg2?
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I need to compress the file size. I have a video that is about 955 MB and need to compress it. Just don't know how. Please help? :)

Comment

Tough to answer without more details, but go to Print to File > Mpeg and choose either Elementary or Transport Stream. Click Export. Probably use CBR and adjust the Bitrate until you get the combination quality/file size that you can live with.
              1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

is the current video SD or HD

what is the duration of the video
                Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

antonsvideo, Sorry. Should have mentioned that. It is SD and 1:00:00 long.

Comment

you will not be able to compress a 1 hour SD video to less than what you already have with mpeg2, a good quality mpeg2 video with one hour duration is 4GB and not 950MB

you have to make it h264 mpeg4, then you can use a bitrate of 2000kbps or less, but the EDIUS exporter produces poor quality with low bitrate

you need to use T5 (you can specify required dimension like 640x360 etc and then reduce bitrate by rolling mouse wheel until it shows you the desired file size such as 500MB or less) (the resulting file size estimator is a great thing to have)
                    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/html/mpeg4.html
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                    X