Brightness / contrast in HDV and in DV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brightness / contrast in HDV and in DV

I have noticed that adjusting IRE in DV usually - in my case - requires the contrast be reduced about 13-15 units to get levels between 0 - 100 IRE.

In HDV editing, however, I have to reduce the brightness level to bring the levels between 0 - 100 IRE.

This is for very similar clips in the same light filmed in DV and in HDV. Camera is a Canon XH A1 for HDV and XL1 for DV.

Has anybody any comments on this?
    Peter
    Skanoer, Sweden

Edius Pro 8, Imaginate 2, Intel i7 950 , 12GB DDR3, 5 TB, Windows Pro 10 Creative, 64bit, Encore CS5

Two things...
    DV uses BT601 colorspace
    HDV uses BT709 colorspace
    so the colorspaces are slightly different.

Also, most DV and HDV camcorders are about to record values slightly out of legal range. This is actually a good thing, as it gives you more "wiggle room" for adjustment, but also means that you must remember to clamp to Broadcast-legal ranges when delivering to TV stations and such.

Comment

Thank you Brandon! Just what I suspected.
      Peter
      Skanoer, Sweden

Edius Pro 8, Imaginate 2, Intel i7 950 , 12GB DDR3, 5 TB, Windows Pro 10 Creative, 64bit, Encore CS5

Comment

also, check your sequence setting for colouspace, choices are standard and E3 compatible
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Color correction is mandatory on most scenes shot with a Sony Z1 or Panasonic HVX 200. Our station has a bunch of these cameras.
          To me this is where Edius shines in RT. Using the Vector/Wave scope we usually adjust the brightness and contrast to the scope while adding 10-25 clicks of Chroma. Works to perfection every time.
          Vista 64 * Asus P6* Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz CPU * 12 gigs Corsair * Nvidia GTX 275 * WD 150 gig 10,000 rpm System drive * (2) Hitachi 750 gig Video drives * (2) WD 1 TB Video drives * HD Spark * Edius 6.02, Imaginate, Adobe AE, Photoshop, Illustrator

Comment

Working...
          X