Slo-mo timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slo-mo timeline

For me, one of the endless conflicts between genuine creativity and client satisfaction is their desire to have the summary programme (we market it as the Dream Wedding) in slo-mo.

In Liquid, my previous NLE I would drag the selected clips alternately to two timelines, and, after ensuring that there was enough space between clips, applying a slo-mo effect to each timeline. This extended the duration of each clip after which it was merely necessary to drag clips from one timeline back into their place in the original and add transitions, again as a batch.

It appears I cannot do this in Edius, the slo-mo speed adjustment applied to an individual clip or a number in a timeline adjusts the speed but not the duration. I realise I can adjust the duration also by applying the slo-mo to each clip separately but that's tiresome and inefficient.

Have I missed something or is there another method? Ideally I'd like to be able to put all the clips on one timeline and apply slo-mo to all the clips, with the clips expanding on the timeline yet keeping their sequence and not "overlapping" on to the adjacent clip but that might be expecting too much.
    Edius 6.52; i2500K; Gigabyte Z68P-DS3; 8Gb RAM; 124Gb SSD for system, 5x1Tb HDD on board; 1Tb & 500Gb HDD off-board; 2Tb RAID1 out-board; BCF2000; Shuttle Pro2; Radeon 5 series dual display, HD Spark, HD monitor. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, New Blue Fx Art Blends, Video Essentials 2, 3, 4, Titler Pro 1 and ColourFast, ProDad Defishr.

it works very fast here and you may have forgotten to tick an option
    slowing many clips in one hit

Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

No Anton, I'd forgotten to think more intelligently - it's an excellent workflow and of course is an improvement on what I used to do in Liquid - though I guess I could have used the same approach in that NLE also.

Many thanks, again.

However, I usually put a NB Art Blend transition between each clip. Assuming that NB get around to making these work in 6.5 before the client reaches their first wedding anniversary, I assume that applying your suggested workflow I should add the transition before creating the sub-sequence at half speed ie 6frames so that a 50% slo-mo will result in a 12 frame transition (though I fear what that will actually look like).

Alternatively presumably I could locate the junction between the original clips in the slo-moed sub-sequence, cut them and insert realtime transitions?
      Last edited by Philip Howells; 09-07-2012, 01:59 AM.
      Edius 6.52; i2500K; Gigabyte Z68P-DS3; 8Gb RAM; 124Gb SSD for system, 5x1Tb HDD on board; 1Tb & 500Gb HDD off-board; 2Tb RAID1 out-board; BCF2000; Shuttle Pro2; Radeon 5 series dual display, HD Spark, HD monitor. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, New Blue Fx Art Blends, Video Essentials 2, 3, 4, Titler Pro 1 and ColourFast, ProDad Defishr.

Comment

how many clips do you usually slomo in a row

if only 20 or less, Alt+E is pretty quick

a request was made for slomo to become a filter, that way it can be dragged to many clips in one hit

yes, you can cut up a sequence and add transitions, or you can add them first prior to setting as sequence, it will look fine
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

20 or so would be typical, but unless my fingers are getting weary, treating each clip individually feels like hard work and the sub-sequence route you proposed feels preferable.

I can sympathise with the request for slo-mo to be a filter but only if the expanded clips formed a longer total sequence afterwards. In Liquid at least, a group of clips treated with its slo-mo filter would expand over each other defeating the objective.

Comment

Working...
          X