Is 6.51 Ready for production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 6.51 Ready for production?

Just wondering what guys are thinking... are you comfortable using 6.51 in a production environment?

We have a few large jobs on the horizon and am wondering if we should commit to 6.5 for production prior to starting... anyone at the coal face with 6.51 care to share experience so far.

Best
    Dave.
    Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
    www.nakedeyedv.com

Dave
    I am loving 6.51
    I had no problems loading the program like some others, My system drive is an SSD, I will give you my method as I think the installation needs access to the internet during install
    I have an Icon on the desktop (copy of the network ) which enables me to disable and enable the connection by right clicking
    I also use Norton 360 and set the autoprotect to disabled for the duration

With the network enabled I loaded the disk and started install
    I am sure during install the License manager appeared and I filled out the details and the install completed perfectly
    Same for the update
    I then reloaded the update for Mercalli and Vitascene as well as Boris RED
    This was an update and I did not uninstall 6.07 and all "My Presets" came across and were available except those from NewBlue which are still not compatible with 6.5
    So far it is working like clockwork, even Boris seems better but still requires rendering

Regards Barry
    Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
    GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
    Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
    Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetongue View Post
      Dave
      I am loving 6.51
      I had no problems loading the program like some others, My system drive is an SSD, I will give you my method as I think the installation needs access to the internet during install
      I have an Icon on the desktop (copy of the network ) which enables me to disable and enable the connection by right clicking
      I also use Norton 360 and set the autoprotect to disabled for the duration

With the network enabled I loaded the disk and started install
      I am sure during install the License manager appeared and I filled out the details and the install completed perfectly
      Same for the update
      I then reloaded the update for Mercalli and Vitascene as well as Boris RED
      This was an update and I did not uninstall 6.07 and all "My Presets" came across and were available except those from NewBlue which are still not compatible with 6.5
      So far it is working like clockwork, even Boris seems better but still requires rendering

Regards Barry
      if you have to edit red format, no, edius 6.51 is not ready for production.

AAF exports is not complete.

Comment

If you are editing in Red native files, no, it is not ready. But, 4k is definitely a reality with HQX and Edius.
        You can convert the files to HQX and have a very nice editing experience.
        Proxy files are still Red native files and will not help that much.
        Doing a batch convert and walking away will get you your converted files without a major issue.
        Jerry
        Six Gill DV
        www.sgdvtutorials.com
        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys! Nothing 4K here.... just wanted to hear from folks who have committed large projects to 6.51 and pulled them off without issue.... so far testing here is going well but I am as always a little nervous moving production to a new version especially when deadlines are in the mix however 10bit CC and alpha would be great... so anyone else at the coal face producion wise with feedback to share?

Best
          Dave
          Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
          www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Moved to 6.5 in our primary edit suite last month and have since completed (and broadcast) two 30 minute documentary films edited in their entirety using that system. Nothing show stoping to report. It's disappointing to have lost TitleMotion Pro along the way, but our titling needs are minimal so we can get by with QuickTitler (though I wish they'd flesh it out a bit), and the issue with Still Image export losing the Save Single Image option is really frustrating but not insurmountable. The loss of some previously freely bundled 3rd party effects has been felt by a couple of the editors, but the overuse of such canned effects annoyed me a bit anyway ;-)

We should be updating a second suite in the coming week.

Cheers
            Andy

Comment

I've never (ever) been a fan of TitleMotion Pro. So no real loss to me. If I needed fancier titles I went to Photoshop. Now I use Vistitle, and the results are FAR superior to QuickTitler and the interface is a huge improvement over TPM.

Yes, bundled 3rd party effects are a loss, but I'm mostly using native effects.

To export a single frame, from the Timeline use Ctrl+T.
              Rusty Rogers | Films
              >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
              >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
              Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                To export a single frame, from the Timeline use Ctrl+T.
                yes, but this does not allow you to type file name and browse for export location and choose file type
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I used TMP when it was an active program. For fancy I went to AE and Photoshop.
                  I primarily use Vistitle and cringe when I see TMP titles. They are soft, lackluster and have no punch. I can get better looking titles out of Quick Titler and layouter than with TMP.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com
                  If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                  http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                  Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I've heard lots of good things about VisTitle but it's really overkill for my own very simple titling needs ... no 3d, no animation, nothing flash at all, just plain white text over a static opaque black strap. TMP offered much more than what I needed, and I have no idea if it was good or bad at such things, but it did allow me to define a number of very basic template layouts w/ locked text box placement & limits etc for the various name straps, date and locator tags, subtitles straps etc, and then recall and use them with ease as needed. Pretty simple requirements, but as our subtitles need to be centre justified (as typed) but with a custom screen placement, it's just slightly too much for QuickTiltler (which doesn't allow you to define a specific text area) ... it's not a big deal as we can work around it with a simple manual centre realignment for each subtitle page ... I almost wish it were a bigger deal as then that would justify licensing VisTitle or similar!

Comment

" and the issue with Still Image export losing the Save Single Image option is really frustrating but not insurmountable. "

Cheers
                      Andy[/QUOTE]

Ctrl-T is still working fine and in System settings you can choose default image file type on export so, for me, this is not big problem
                      Edius Silver Status

Gigabyte UD5 X58, i7 950 , 2TB RAID 0,GTX 285 PCIe, 6GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz, OS drive SSD Corsair, 750W PS,Samsung 1920x1080 LCD, GVG HD Storm 3G, Edius 7.30, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate)
                      JVC DT-V20L3 20" HD-SDI broadcast monitor, multiformat

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                        If you are editing in Red native files, no, it is not ready. But, 4k is definitely a reality with HQX and Edius.
                        You can convert the files to HQX and have a very nice editing experience.
                        Proxy files are still Red native files and will not help that much.
                        Doing a batch convert and walking away will get you your converted files without a major issue.
                        the guy who the colorization don t want any hqx or avi uncompressed file to do his job, he wants absolutly the red natives footages...

edius is the only software who didnt keep the crops when we transfered it in aaf, GRASSVALLEY may hear me because, without this huge detail,

anybody could work on red project.

Comment

Sorry we don't support export of layouter adjustments in AAF.

Keeping native Red files is possible.
                          Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
                          EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
                            Sorry we don't support export of layouter adjustments in AAF.

Keeping native Red files is possible.
                            thanks for your answer, i waited for it since weeks,

it means that the compatibility between several stations is not possible,

can we ask to edius' engineers that we could export the layouter adjustements in aaf soon, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X