X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manbart
    replied
    Re: Penryn Chips to be introduced in November

These chips offer significant improvements from the current quad core. They're due to be introduced November 11th, but who knows when one of us would be able to get our hands on one. They'll be expensive but I think I'd be able to at least afford one of the lower end ones, and also I think prices of the current quad core will drop quite a bit once these are available. There are compatible mother boards available now. Some that use DDR3 and some that are DDR2 1066. I may try to wait two or three months before I upgrade in order to get one of these chips or to pick up a cheaper quad core. . . we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Hi Tilford,

All specs are looking good. Quad is fine. The mobo is great, and WiFi might come in handy if you don't want to pull wires.

The 8800GTX (?) is a bit of an overkill as others have stated, but it should last you for a long time. Especially since you're not a gamer. But games would run like crazy on that one.

Not sure you can file it and enter it as tax free. Ask an accountant. I put all my equipment under "business buy".

Leave a comment:

• manbart
    replied
    RE:Edius with Quad-Core

Originally posted by mike0130 View Post
    Motherboard: ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
    Do you need this WiFi???

This board unlike many others gets great reviews by people who've purchased and are using it. I don't really need the Wifi. My computer will be a wireless access point with D-link wireless router. With this router I can wireless stream video, audio, or photos from my Media Player Library to my PS3, and display them on HDTV or play them on surround sound system. I can also wireless copy these media files to the PS3 hard drive. I've copied some HD files to the PS3 hard drive to play them on HDTV. It's great.

Processor: Quad core 2.6 or 2.9
    Quad is ok, not fully supported yet.

I think it makes sense to get quad core as it will be desktop standard before very long, and software will be increasingly able to take advantage.

Memory: 2 gig of DDR3 at 7-7-7-21
    Mmmm... DDR2 will be good enough.

Yes DDR2 8500 would be fine, but this board only takes DDR3. DDR3 is now available in faster timings and is getting a bit cheaper, but it's still a but of a splerge.

Video:NVIDIA 8800 640 of memory
    Forget about Xplode Pro and for Edius realtime. You do not need that expencive card, Edius is not using it's power anyway.

I agree this card not needed at all for Edius since Edius doesn't rely on the graphic card. But it does have excellent video guality. It also is ready to play HD video from Blue Ray disk, if in the future I get a blue ray drive. It also can handle very high video resolutions if I get 24 inch or greater monitor in the future, right now I have 21 inch Dell. Generally I keep video cards a relatively long time. So I could easily run this card for three years maybe more. If I get much cheaper card maybe I'll want to replace it in a year or two. I'm not really a computer video gamer. So I don't need it for that.

Video Storage 1tb external esata raid
    Good one!

Yes, I'll get a 1TB G-TECH ESATA

Edius NX Express
    Perfect!
    Yep Looking forward to it, but it may be a few months.

Sound blaster value sound card
    Use onbord sound!

Sound blaster is sitting in my current machine. I could use it or save an empty slot. We'll see.

I just got a new contract at work with a raise that is retroactive to last January, and will be getting a nice check pretty soon! I also have some items for sale on Ebay such as my Panasonic AG DVC30 Camcorder, and a Prestini Alto Saxophone. Anyone interested?

The entire setup could run a little under $4,000. It's kind of crazy since I don't earn a dime with any of this. But next time I go to Poland I'll be able to shoot in in the Canon's HDV or 24P. I'll have a great system for editing and will be able to archive my finished product in HD on DV tape. I distribute my videos to people all around the world who have roots in or an interest in this area of Poland. These people really appreciate what I do, and know one else is really doing it.I should probably form a 501c3 tax free foundation and start taking a tax deduction for all this equipment?

Tilford Bartman

Leave a comment:

• mike0130
    replied
    Do you need this WiFi???
    Quad is ok, not fully supported yet.
    Mmmm... DDR2 will be good enough.
    Forget about Xplode Pro and for Edius realtime. You do not need that expencive card, Edius is not using it's power anyway.
    Good one!
    Edius NX Express
    Perfect!
    Use onbord sound!

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Do you need a soundcard? The onboard soundcard should be more than enough imo.

Otherwise it looks fine :)

Leave a comment:

• manbart
    replied
    RE:Asus P5K3 Deluxe

I'm looking at this setup for edius nx express on guad core.

Edius NX Express

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    In all my Edius v4.51c tests I have outlined the specs for each test with the DVStorm and/or OHCI HD & SD. Just use my playback times as a reference to your current system to my 2.4Ghz Quad-Core to give you some idea if the upgrade is worth the gains.

I would guess your current system is equivalent to a Core2Duo 2.4Ghz to 2.6Ghz with Edius, but don't quote me on it :)

...Angelo

Leave a comment:

• manbart
    replied
    Re: Quad-Core

At the risk of elaborating on the obvious I'll just say that generally just a handful of applications are currently optimized such that they can take anything near full advantage of a quad-core processor. The good news is that we have increasingly affordable processors available that are capable of very impressive real time editing of HD. . . just the software is lagging behind a bit and not taking full advantage. I think this is usually how it is. As the quad-core's move in to the mainstream of the desktop market, this will likely change pretty quickly. I wonder how the fast the quad-core can render 1080i HD to a file.

Right now I have a bit older Dual processor 3.2 Xeon system (Irwindale) with the 800mhz front side bus, and rather slow memory. I wonder how much better performance I would get from a 2.9 quad-core on new Asus Intel P35 board with 2 gigs of Corsair Dominator 8500 1066. I am a former DV Storm Premiere user, then Avid Liquid Edition 7 Pro. Now thinking about Edius NX Express. I was using Sony VX 2000, and now also have a Canon HV20 with Rode Mic. I use video to document my historical and genealogical research in Eastern Europe. Delivery medium would still be DVD, but I would like to start shooting with Canon HV20 and editing in HD. Put edited HD project out to tape for archiving, and put timeline out to DVD in 16:9:

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon B View Post
    I get full RT playback of HD, even with four 3D Pips.

Gordon.
    I did some more testing with Four 3D-PIP under different Presettings. This time the 3D-PIP had no borders or effects enabled, no background and no CC to the 1440x1080 59.94i footage. Core2Quad Q6600 at stock speed 2.4Ghz.

I tested this test project with:
    OHCI HD 1440x1080 59.94i buffer=512MB (5.57sec HD buffer)
    OHCI SD 720x480 29.97p buffer=512MB (23.4sec SD buffer)
    DVStorm 720x480 29.97p buffer=192 (6.3sec SD buffer)

All run times were tested with pre-filled buffers. Also, Calculated CPU FPS (frames per second) which is the max fps the CPU can process during playback.

Preset.............Time..........CPU FPS (or fields/s)
    OHCI HD ......... 34sec ...... 25.06 (or 50.12i)
    OHCI SD ......... 54sec ...... 17.0
    DVStorm ......... 14sec ...... 16.5

Looking at the OHCI HD results I am getting the same results as Gordon. Here in Canada the frame rate is 29.97fps (or 59.94i) but in Europe (and the UK) the frame rate is 25fps (or 50i). As you can see my 2.4Ghz Quad is processing at a frame rate of 25.06fps, this is RT in PAL but not in NTSC.

Looking at the two SD projects there is a drop in CPU calculated FPS that must be from the HD to SD scaling overhead in RT.

Using the same HD footage on a HD timeline yields the best performance. Also the CPU utilization on the Quad Core was around 50%-60%.

I 'm going doing some more SD picture quality (PQ) tests to see if converting the original HQ 1440x1080 to HQ 720x480 will show any PQ through the DVStorm's component-out when comparing the two on the same timeline.

UPDATE: I converted (with PC2) the original HQ 1440x1080 59.94i to HQ 1280x720p and HQ 720x480p and viewed the results via DVStorm's component-out card (SD 480i) to 23" Panasonic 720p HDTV LCD. There is a noticeable PQ difference between HQ 1280x720p and HQ 720x480p, HQ 1280x720p has no jaggies just smooth straight lines (unlike the HD 720x480p with jaggy lines and stair-stepping) on a SD timeline. Plus 720p HD offers better RT performance than 1080i.

...Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo; 09-17-2007, 04:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon B
    replied
    Hi Angelo,

I have done test captures in both Canopus HQ and native M2T, both play OK with the buffer staying full and only dropping during the four PIP's but still managing to play. I could of course reneder the PIP's and then the buffer would stay healthy.

My HDV is in 1440x 1080i.

I am about to do a serious edit in HDV and I will report my findings then.

Gordon.

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon B View Post
    I have posted about Quad core performance in other postings and since I built my Q6600/Asus PK5 Premium/2GB DDR2 PC I have been checking in Task Manager when I do any HDV work and I see that all cores "appear" to be responding and the CPU activity is around 20%.

Am I just imagining that all four cores are working with Edius or am I reading Task Manager all wrong?

Gordon.
    All my cores are active too. Do you use HDV in your 3D Pips? Are the HDV 1440x1080 files in HQ or M2T format? Does your buffer say full or increase during four 3D-PIP playback?

...Angelo

Leave a comment:

• Gordon B
    replied
    I have posted about Quad core performance in other postings and since I built my Q6600/Asus PK5 Premium/2GB DDR2 PC I have been checking in Task Manager when I do any HDV work and I see that all cores "appear" to be responding and the CPU activity is around 20%.

Am I just imagining that all four cores are working with Edius or am I reading Task Manager all wrong?

Gordon.

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    Originally posted by lalx View Post
    Hi Angelo,

Have you tried the older 4.1~4.3 versions? I did not upgrade to 4.51c yet as I was waiting to see how far the version numbers climbed before stabilising. I did read on some of the posts that the latest version was slightly slower in performance than the older ones - any truth in that?

An update on my Q6600 experience:

I got the latest version of OnLocation which gives you raw m2t files. I did the same test as what I had done earlier - but this time on a normal clocked (2.4)machine as I am lapping my HSF etc. I expected to see a drop in RT - as these files are not HQ. I was shocked that the whole thing still played in RT. (ie 2 layers of colour corrected chromakey HQ and a base layer of level corrected, lumakeyed m2t). 3x3D pip over the same level corrected lumakeyed m2t played in real time too.

One strange glitch I have noticed and not really seen on the forum is playback surprises. Sometimes if you place the cursor on the begining or middle of a problem clip (such as a PIP) and it does not play. But if you drag back the cursor a couple of seconds and play back - it plays back in RT! Strange behaviour. Anyone seen this before or has it been posted about?

- Lex
    No, I didn't try older versions of 4.xx, but do recall people posting about a performance drop with v4.51 and HD. I've only just started using HD footage. Edius 4.0x to 4.51c I was editing with DV and the Core2Duo was "major" overkill and didn't see any performance loss with DV when upgrading to v4.51c.

Was your 3x3D-PIP using M2Tfiles? If so there must be a code issue with Edius v4.51c to have such a BIG drop in performance from earlier version of 4.xx.

Originally posted by Jerry
    If you use AE CS3 you will notice a big jump. That and Photoshop will put your quad to good use.
    I have older versions of AF & PS. I currently don't use them that often for me to justify the upgrade. If I do have a real need for them I can justify the upgrade. Since newer upgrades are always around the corner, I wait till I need them.

Originally posted by Rusty
    I was actually disappointed when I moved from E6300 to Q6700 a few months back...
    Have you tested earlier version of 4.xx since Lex is reporting better performance?

...Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo; 09-16-2007, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lalx
    replied
    Originally posted by Angelo View Post
    In any case anyone looking at a E6600 to a Q6600, the Q6600 is the BEST deal going.

...Angelo
    Hi Angelo,

Have you tried the older 4.1~4.3 versions? I did not upgrade to 4.51c yet as I was waiting to see how far the version numbers climbed before stabilising. I did read on some of the posts that the latest version was slightly slower in performance than the older ones - any truth in that?

An update on my Q6600 experience:

I got the latest version of OnLocation which gives you raw m2t files. I did the same test as what I had done earlier - but this time on a normal clocked (2.4)machine as I am lapping my HSF etc. I expected to see a drop in RT - as these files are not HQ. I was shocked that the whole thing still played in RT. (ie 2 layers of colour corrected chromakey HQ and a base layer of level corrected, lumakeyed m2t). 3x3D pip over the same level corrected lumakeyed m2t played in real time too.

One strange glitch I have noticed and not really seen on the forum is playback surprises. Sometimes if you place the cursor on the begining or middle of a problem clip (such as a PIP) and it does not play. But if you drag back the cursor a couple of seconds and play back - it plays back in RT! Strange behaviour. Anyone seen this before or has it been posted about?

- Lex

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Angelo,

You must love these comparisons, and thanks for doing them!

I was actually disappointed when I moved from E6300 to Q6700 a few months back, but I may not be disappointed long. Nice to see Edius making better use of resources.

I need to dig into AE more now and see what they will do.

Rusty

Leave a comment:

Working...
X