Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.51 no Super Blacks?

Hi all,

I'm trying the Edius 6.51 demo on Win 7 64 with latest Quicktime installed.

Editing Prores HQ 4:2:2 10bit recorded with an Atomos Samurai from a Sony PMW-F3 in S-Log mode.

I cannot get Edius to display the full range gamma. The F3 records Super Blacks and Whites in S-Log mode.

All the files are set to Super White in file Properties, and Automatic Correction in User Settings are set to Super White. Changing either or both of these setting has no effect at all?

The same files play back correctly Media Player Classic with full range enabled, so the data is there.

Any one have any clues? Cheers.

set the superwhite properties in the bin BEFORE you bring onto timeline - see if that helps

Comment

I would restart Edius as well, just in case it requires a restart to change the settings.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Thanks, but didn't work. Nothing I do seems to change anything.

Comment

I've had no luck in sorting this. Super Blacks work great in 6.07, the same files clamp at 64 in 6.51, although you can drop bellow 64 using correction the actual original Super Black data isn't there.

Am I alone here, no one else has this problem?

Comment

What arr super blacks? I thought zero was zero.
            Can you point to an explanation please?
            Rusty Rogers | Films
            >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
            >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
            Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Hi:

If I remember correct then in Edius:

Black coded as binary 16 is called "black"

Black coded as binary 0 is called "super-black"

White coded as binary 235 is called "white"

White coded as binary 255 is called "super-white"

(and of course: you are right - zero is/was zero)

regards kurt
              pot11

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                What arr super blacks? I thought zero was zero.
                Can you point to an explanation please?
                super blacks are where the black is below the 0 IRE line on the waveform
                super whites is where the white is above 100 IRE

super blacks and whites are rejected by broadcasters
                http://www.videoproductions.com.au/e...hite-black.png
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by David Williams View Post
                  I've had no luck in sorting this. Super Blacks work great in 6.07, the same files clamp at 64 in 6.51, although you can drop bellow 64 using correction the actual original Super Black data isn't there.

Am I alone here, no one else has this problem?

can you do a small test

add a clip to timeline and add YUV curve, increase whites and blacks so both are illegal, print to file, Canopus HQ

now place the file on the HQ timeline, is it still super black/white? in my case, it is

also, can you confirm that the Prores file is actually recorded with illegal levels? do you have any other playback software to verify?
                  Last edited by antonsvideo; 07-28-2012, 12:29 AM.
                  Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

A couple of things... in 6.07 ATOMOS ProRes files show a slight gama shift... so look slightly washed out compared to native files from the camera... Quick Time issue I suspect but this does need fixing... I will check if this is the same in 6.51 when I get the chance. What do your files show in the scopes in Edius... where are the levels at?

Best
                    Dave.
                    Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
                    www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

I Just want to add that we fixed a gamma shift with Quicktime files (thus ProRes to) in 6.5.
                      This maybe something to add in the analysis of the what is seen.
                      Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
                      EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Thanks GV_SL... yes it is fixed having just checked with the samurai clips against the cameras native clips there is no shift in the gamma... this is great.

I am just wondering how the OP's clips look in the scopes... I often find that the whites can be over 100 IRE and the black above 0 IRE even though profile rec.709 is set and the shot seems to be exposed correctly in the camera. Edius provides an easy way to adjust clip levels back to legal via YUV filter which is essential for broadcast.

Can you tell us how your using s-log? are you shooting dead flat in the camera so you can create a specific look in CC? I dont know but I imagine MP classic is not giving you the best RGB translation.

Dave.
                        Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
                        www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Sadly I can't use the 6.51 demo any more after upgrading my PC. Now I get Error code 15.0.0 constantly from the GV Licence Manager. Same primary hard drive, probably has some nasty MBR hack installed by GV. I still have 20 something days left on my licence, but no joy. Demo refuses to run after 3 OS installs and numerous demo installs, reg cleaning, etc, etc...

Seems no point purchasing the full version if I can't use it with my camera gear anyway.

I've been shooting straight S-Log since last year, no picture profiles or anything. Having used previous past versions of Edius at various places, I know it did interpret Super Blacks correctly at one time. The 6.51 demo does not. Nothing I did changed it from being washed out.

The footage I was testing is very dark night time shots, so I can easily see how much detail has just been concatenated.

If I can get the demo running again, I will report any more findings...

Comment

I would phone Mark Lampard (03) 9005 9861 for the correct OS install after DEMO
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                            X